Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“There was a lot of pressure managing under Tan”

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:35 am

Former Cardiff City manager Mark Hudson admitted there was "a lot of pressure" managing the club under Vincent Tan – and said he has been impressed by the job Erol Bulut has done this season.

"But look at the game the other day, a bench full of youth players. Cian Ashford started. Good recruitment in terms of the two centre-halves, they have played together really well as a partnership. (Manolis) Siopis has come in and done well.

"They've managed those individuals well and got them to perform. Got results. Could results be slightly better in parts of the season? Well, yeah, that would have put them in the top six. Are they capable of doing that this season? I'd have thought no, with a new manager.

"There's a lot of pressure! I didn't speak to him too much as a player, but you do speak to him quite a lot as a coach and manager," he told the BBC's EJFOF podcast. "It's his club and he has put a lot of money into it and wants it to be successful, for sure."

"There is always a dialogue between owners and technical directors, there's always conversations about playing styles and reasons for this."

Cardiff have had two more managers since Hudson left, following Sabri Lamouchi's exit last summer and the arrival of Bulut ahead of the season. Bulut has steered Cardiff to mid-table this season after the club had spent the past two seasons battling against relegation.

Hudson has been impressed by the job Bulut has done this season and is encouraged by the introduction of under-21s players in recent weeks, too.

"I think he's done well. I've looked at the results over a period — I follow it because I've been there as a player, coach and manager — they've had blips, form has dipped," he said during his assessment of the season.“

"I think he looks confident with the team and the team are responding to him, you can see that with the results. I speak to Rammers [Tom Ramasut] about how they are getting on and he's been very clear about what he wants from the players. The keeper, as well, he's been very good, (Ethan) Horvath.

"It'll be exciting for supporters to see academy prospects coming through. Whether they can sustain form to be successful for promotion next season, I'm not sure, but the proof will be in the pudding."

Cardiff went through a period of struggling to bring through young players, however Hudson insists there's value in doing so and hopes the club continues to back the talent coming through the academy. There are a number of young players champing at the bit for their opportunity, including Joel Colwill, whom Hudson described as a "very intelligent player", in the final two games of the season.

"I think that's the pathway that would benefit Cardiff," he added. "It'll create value in the club, players and gives belief to the younger players that there's a pathway going forward.

"You then get to keep hold of the young talent you want at the club with a pathway being created, so hopefully that continues."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “There was a lot of pressure managing under Tan”

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:48 am

Speaks a good word does Hudson.

Re: “There was a lot of pressure managing under Tan”

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:58 am

He's a great bloke and was a good player, he rates Bulut and knows it's a tough job working for Tan and says what a good job Bulut has done under difficult circumstances.