Tue May 07, 2024 9:58 am

Played = 46
Finished = 12th
Points = 62
Won = 19
Drawn = 5
Lost = 22
Goals for = 53. Home = 27. Away = 26.
Goals conceded = 70. Home = 32. Away = 38.
Goal Difference = -17
Overall Win % = 41%. Home = 43%. Away = 39%.
Overall Draw % = 11%. Home = 13%. Away = 9%.
Overall Loss % = 48%. Home = 43%. Away = 52%.

Only 3 teams have conceded more goals than Cardiff. Blackburn, Huddersfield and Rotherham.
14 teams scored more goals than Cardiff.
We averaged 1.15 goals/game, which is a goal every 78 mins.
We conceded 1.52 goals/game, which is a goal every 59mis.
We conceded first 59% of games.
We failed to score in 14 games.
We kept 12 clean sheets.
25% of our goals were scored in the last 10 mins.
We had 414 shots, averaging 9 shots/game with 4.89 on target and 4.11 off target.
Our expected goals for = 1.06/game.
Expected goals against = 1.37/game.
Top scorers were Garlan Grant and Perry NG both with 6 goals. Josh Bowler had 5.
Most assists was Joe Ralls with 7.
Dimitrios Goutas had the most appearances starting all 46 games.
Most yellow cards were Perry NG and Jamilu Collins both with 9.
We have the 6th highest player salary in the championship at £22,016,800/year which is around double or more than double what Coventry, Bristol City, Millwall, Huddersfield, Sunderland, Blackburn, Preston, Rotherham and Plymouth pay.

I don’t think it matters whether you are a Bulut in or Bulut out person, I think we can all agree that we don’t score enough and concede too many. A lot of goals were scored in the last 10 mins when we are chasing the game. We need to win more home games, and we need to reduce player salaries.

Re: Cardiff City 203/24 Stats

Tue May 07, 2024 11:51 am

MikeO76 wrote:Played = 46
Finished = 12th
Points = 62
Won = 19
Drawn = 5
Lost = 22
Goals for = 53. Home = 27. Away = 26.
Goals conceded = 70. Home = 32. Away = 38.
Goal Difference = -17
Overall Win % = 41%. Home = 43%. Away = 39%.
Overall Draw % = 11%. Home = 13%. Away = 9%.
Overall Loss % = 48%. Home = 43%. Away = 52%.

Only 3 teams have conceded more goals than Cardiff. Blackburn, Huddersfield and Rotherham.
14 teams scored more goals than Cardiff.
We averaged 1.15 goals/game, which is a goal every 78 mins.
We conceded 1.52 goals/game, which is a goal every 59mis.
We conceded first 59% of games.
We failed to score in 14 games.
We kept 12 clean sheets.
25% of our goals were scored in the last 10 mins.
We had 414 shots, averaging 9 shots/game with 4.89 on target and 4.11 off target.
Our expected goals for = 1.06/game.
Expected goals against = 1.37/game.
Top scorers were Garlan Grant and Perry NG both with 6 goals. Josh Bowler had 5.
Most assists was Joe Ralls with 7.
Dimitrios Goutas had the most appearances starting all 46 games.
Most yellow cards were Perry NG and Jamilu Collins both with 9.
We have the 6th highest player salary in the championship at £22,016,800/year which is around double or more than double what Coventry, Bristol City, Millwall, Huddersfield, Sunderland, Blackburn, Preston, Rotherham and Plymouth pay.

I don’t think it matters whether you are a Bulut in or Bulut out person, I think we can all agree that we don’t score enough and concede too many. A lot of goals were scored in the last 10 mins when we are chasing the game. We need to win more home games, and we need to reduce player salaries.

And our top scorer was a fullback, and a lot of our goals scored was from set pieces, which coupled with a lot of late winners when the Bulut one tactic was finally allowed to be pushed further up the pitch, contributed to our over inflated points haul (which of course I was happy with but it really papers over the cracks) a false impression.

Tue May 07, 2024 12:11 pm

We didn't score enough, that's for sure.

We didn't however have the backing from Tan to go for our top targets. That's on Tan.

We may have conceded more goals, lost more games, left it later, and scored more own goals than others, BUT, we finished higher in the league than 12 other teams, and THAT is ultimately what matters.

The expectation was a relegation scrap, and we exceeded those expectations.

I understand that people have different opinions, but surely, with everything taken into account, the season has to be seen as somewhat successful.

Get the backing from Tan, get the board to treat Bulut right, and I'm sure we will see more exciting football next season.

Tue May 07, 2024 12:24 pm

Ralls. 7 assists. How many starts? Seems a good return. Underrated by many.

Tue May 07, 2024 2:21 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:We didn't score enough, that's for sure.

We didn't however have the backing from Tan to go for our top targets. That's on Tan.

We may have conceded more goals, lost more games, left it later, and scored more own goals than others, BUT, we finished higher in the league than 12 other teams, and THAT is ultimately what matters.

I understand that people have different opinions, but surely, with everything taken into account, the season has to be seen as somewhat successful.

Get the backing from Tan, get the board to treat Bulut right, and I'm sure we will see more exciting football next season.

But it’s to late now for Bulut to be treated right. Besides, I have seen zero evidence from Bulut that he can play exciting football or any another way other than his one tactic Bulutball.

Tue May 07, 2024 2:47 pm

tangledupinblue wrote:

But it’s to late now for Bulut to be treated right. Besides, I have seen zero evidence from Bulut that he can play exciting football or any another way other than his one tactic Bulutball.

You tell me which of our players would fit in to that Ipswich starting 11 that people seem to think we should be copying. (Players that we have that can play that type of game)

I'll await your answer, or anyone else's: and I trust that will answer the question surrounding "Bulutball"

I don't know how else to try and explain it. Many have tried and failed.

Tue May 07, 2024 3:58 pm

It's a shame tan didn't get the strikers in then, he had a list and got us a awful player online instead because the club drag there feet and can't get anything right!

Bulut done a class job with what he had and at the beginning of the season anyone would of taken it.

Major investment needed before the new season aswell as sorting the manager either way, the club has been too slow at everything it's a joke

Tue May 07, 2024 5:16 pm

The shocking one for me there is 6th in the wage bill. Wow !!!

We need a ‘football man’ at the helm. Some of those players are stealing a living and must have thought they won the lottery when penning the contract.

Football wise, a decent enough season in my view considering the relegation fights we’ve been in lately. Aside from jacks away performance, pretty decent result despite some turgid games.

Tue May 07, 2024 5:20 pm

kyle08 wrote:It's a shame tan didn't get the strikers in then, he had a list and got us a awful player online instead because the club drag there feet and can't get anything right!

Bulut done a class job with what he had and at the beginning of the season anyone would of taken it.

Major investment needed before the new season aswell as sorting the manager either way, the club has been too slow at everything it's a joke

A class job, that’s a bit strong.
And you wrong I wouldn’t have taken this season of awful 1 plan negative football, him blaming everyone except is prehistoric tactics. For me we need to get rid.

Tue May 07, 2024 5:39 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:
tangledupinblue wrote:

You tell me which of our players would fit in to that Ipswich starting 11 that people seem to think we should be copying. (Players that we have that can play that type of game)

I'll await your answer, or anyone else's: and I trust that will answer the question surrounding "Bulutball"

I don't know how else to try and explain it. Many have tried and failed.

No one mentioned Ipswich on this thread. But since you asked, NG, Goutas, Phillips, Ruben, Bowler and Grant could all have pushed for a place.

I don't get the "our players can't play that type of game". They are professional football players, they play how they are coached, it's not rocket science. The problem is Bulut has coached the attacking ability out of them. Our players first priority is to defend. Do you think Pep tells Foden that his first priority is to defend, or Klopp tells Salah?

If Bulut had the Ipswich squad he would still play the same boring predictable defensive style.

Tue May 07, 2024 5:45 pm

Most managers in the EFL didn't have the backing from their chairman either, that's the way football is at the moment.

You may have expected a relegation scrap but I was optimistic and was thinking mid table before the season kicked off.

However, if Bulut stays, we will be in a relegation scrap next season. Every club in the championship knows how we will set up and they will attack us from the first whistle.

Tue May 07, 2024 5:59 pm

Mike, you say those things with so much certainty.

You expected mid table, we ended up mid table. So the season can't be deemed that bad then surely?

In terms of Ipswich, there are plenty of people who have said we should be doing what they are doing.

The players you mentioned wouldn't get near that team. Their wing backs are constantly pushing forward. NG wouldn't get in.

As for Bowler, not a chance, too inconsistent. Siopis, has gone off the boil and wouldn't get in. Grant possibly.

Phillips is possibly the only one, and even then, if our center backs are so good, why did we concede the most goals in the league?

Coached it out of them in a season? Come on Mike, I've enjoyed reading your posts, you back your arguments up and I respect your opinions but you have to admit that's a bit far fetched.

Tue May 07, 2024 6:21 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:Mike, you say those things with so much certainty.

You expected mid table, we ended up mid table. So the season can't be deemed that bad then surely?

In terms of Ipswich, there are plenty of people who have said we should be doing what they are doing.

The players you mentioned wouldn't get near that team. Their wing backs are constantly pushing forward. NG wouldn't get in.

As for Bowler, not a chance, too inconsistent. Siopis, has gone off the boil and wouldn't get in. Grant possibly.

Phillips is possibly the only one, and even then, if our center backs are so good, why did we concede the most goals in the league?

Coached it out of them in a season? Come on Mike, I've enjoyed reading your posts, you back your arguments up and I respect your opinions but you have to admit that's a bit far fetched.

Our league position was good, I've not moaned about that. It's how we got there that's the problem and as I said, I don't think Bulut can change his style so I believe we will be in a relegation fight next season if he stays.

Ipswich play great attacking football, I've enjoyed every game of theirs I've watched this season. But the style of play is down to the manager and coaches, not the players. Professional players will and can adapt to a style of play.

I firmly believe that Bowler's attacking ability has been coached out of him this season. Every Cardiff players first priority is to defend, no matter where they are playing on the pitch. Wherever Bowler is next season, you will see the real Bowler, the one that played for Blackpool.

Tue May 07, 2024 8:24 pm

If that's the case, then why do players flop for the big clubs when they are trying to change to a certain style of football?

If its true, then why are the most successful teams the ones that buy players that suit that style of play?

Tue May 07, 2024 11:02 pm

northside of risca wrote:The shocking one for me there is 6th in the wage bill. Wow !!!

We need a ‘football man’ at the helm. Some of those players are stealing a living and must have thought they won the lottery when penning the contract.

Football wise, a decent enough season in my view considering the relegation fights we’ve been in lately. Aside from jacks away performance, pretty decent result despite some turgid games.

Spot on with the wage - maybe we should look at getting Slade back as a DOF to sort this out as he did last time here.

Tue May 07, 2024 11:03 pm

Good info/stats - Mike :thumbup:

Wed May 08, 2024 7:01 am

Roath_Blue wrote:If that's the case, then why do players flop for the big clubs when they are trying to change to a certain style of football?

If its true, then why are the most successful teams the ones that buy players that suit that style of play?

There are probably many reasons why players flop at clubs not just that they can't adjust to the style of play.

The successful teams can afford to shop around and buy the best players that suit their style better. But the successful teams play attacking football and let the attacking players attack and not defend as their first priority.

Wed May 08, 2024 7:08 am

MikeO76 wrote:
Roath_Blue wrote:If that's the case, then why do players flop for the big clubs when they are trying to change to a certain style of football?

There are probably many reasons why players flop at clubs not just that they can't adjust to the style of play.

The successful teams can afford to shop around and buy the best players that suit their style better. But the successful teams play attacking football and let the attacking players attack and not defend as their first priority.

But in some instances, they flop due to not being able to play that specific style right?

Wed May 08, 2024 7:52 am

Roath_Blue wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

But in some instances, they flop due to not being able to play that specific style right?

Some players adapt better and quicker than others.

Wed May 08, 2024 9:53 am

MikeO76 wrote:

Our league position was good, I've not moaned about that. It's how we got there that's the problem and as I said, I don't think Bulut can change his style so I believe we will be in a relegation fight next season if he stays.

Ipswich play great attacking football, I've enjoyed every game of theirs I've watched this season. But the style of play is down to the manager and coaches, not the players. Professional players will and can adapt to a style of play.

I firmly believe that Bowler's attacking ability has been coached out of him this season. Every Cardiff players first priority is to defend, no matter where they are playing on the pitch. Wherever Bowler is next season, you will see the real Bowler, the one that played for Blackpool.

At last someone else sees that the way the team play is down to how the manager wants to play not the players otherwise you might aswell not bother with a manager or coach and just tell the players turn up play how you want bulut put the nucleus of this team together and has had all the season with them
but even against rotherham last game of season playing a relegated side tactics still remain the same.

Wed May 08, 2024 3:35 pm

MikeO76 wrote:

Most managers in the EFL didn't have the backing from their chairman either, that's the way football is at the moment.

You may have expected a relegation scrap but I was optimistic and was thinking mid table before the season kicked off.

However, if Bulut stays, we will be in a relegation scrap next season. Every club in the championship knows how we will set up and they will attack us from the first whistle.

Agree

Wed May 08, 2024 5:39 pm

montyblue wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

At last someone else sees that the way the team play is down to how the manager wants to play not the players otherwise you might aswell not bother with a manager or coach and just tell the players turn up play how you want bulut put the nucleus of this team together and has had all the season with them
but even against rotherham last game of season playing a relegated side tactics still remain the same.

Exactly mate.

I firmly believe if Bulut was manager of Ipswich they would have been in a relegation battle this season. Our defence is better than theirs, yes we conceded more goals but that's down to the style of play. Ipswich are on the front foot attacking which protects the defence, Bulut's style is to sit back and defend so our defenders have a lot more work to do in the 90 mins. It's natural that a Bulut side will concede more goals.