Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Darren Purse is he really that bad ?

Fri May 10, 2024 4:05 pm

I see Purse gets a lot of criticism for U21 results.

But his main job has to be to produce players for the 1st team. There looks to be a few now breaking through to the 1st team now .I've always said that he has a hard job due to every line up is different, there's never a settled 11 , how can any manager get a winning team when there so many changes all the time ? .

Re: Darren Purse is he really that bad ?

Fri May 10, 2024 4:18 pm

Yes he is that bad.

You mention players have been brought into the first team this season.

But that only happened in the last couple of months.

What about the rest of the season when they were all still with the U21s?

Other clubs have their U21 players moved to the first team but their U21 coach gets results.

Fri May 10, 2024 4:40 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Yes he is that bad.

Other clubs have their U21 players moved to the first team but their U21 coach gets results.

Which other clubs are getting results then ? Do these teams have other teams have to juggle under 18 players in and out of there under 21s ?

Sat May 11, 2024 5:51 am

YES

Sat May 11, 2024 10:16 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Yes he is that bad.

Surely that’s buluts fault for not picking them , many in here have said he needs to give them a chance, purse can’t put them on the team sheet himself. It’s down to the first team manager to support the younger players. Another manager probably make purse look good by using his players, but bulut prefer players north of 27 with experience.

Sat May 11, 2024 12:25 pm

I got to spend a few hours with Purse back in November i think it was, top man. he explained his job isn't results, its mainly getting youngsters to step into the first team, and rightly so. he said, out of a group of say 16 u21's you'll be lucky if you get 2 , that step up into the first team, some might go on and have professional careers lower down, but most won't cut the cloth. he explained the loan system for us, that because our transfers/loans are different to say "english club to english club" we have slightly different rules. we can't send players out for 3 months, its a minimum of a 6 month deal only. most clubs that approach us to take a player on loan, don't want to waste a loan slot on a youngster that they're unsure about, and most of the time they only want them in the club as a squad number rather than a starter. so its hard getting academy players to play against men since they got rid of the reserve league.

now, before anyone goes off regarding "oh bellamy won most of his games" the only players currently still playing for the first team from his time is Ruben, Bagan is out on loan as he's not good enough, plenty on here say Isaak Davies isn't good enough.

Under Purse, we've seen Ashford, Joel, Conte, make the step up. we've even lost 3 academy players to Man-City and United.

he just seems an easy target for some.

Sat May 11, 2024 12:32 pm

bluebird04 wrote:I got to spend a few hours with Purse back in November i think it was, top man. he explained his job isn't results, its mainly getting youngsters to step into the first team, and rightly so. he said, out of a group of say 16 u21's you'll be lucky if you get 2 , that step up into the first team, some might go on and have professional careers lower down, but most won't cut the cloth. he explained the loan system for us, that because our transfers/loans are different to say "english club to english club" we have slightly different rules. we can't send players out for 3 months, its a minimum of a 6 month deal only. most clubs that approach us to take a player on loan, don't want to waste a loan slot on a youngster that they're unsure about, and most of the time they only want them in the club as a squad number rather than a starter. so its hard getting academy players to play against men since they got rid of the reserve league.

now, before anyone goes off regarding "oh bellamy won most of his games" the only players currently still playing for the first team from his time is Ruben, Bagan is out on loan as he's not good enough, plenty on here say Isaak Davies isn't good enough.

Under Purse, we've seen Ashford, Joel, Conte, make the step up. we've even lost 3 academy players to Man-City and United.

Great post mate. I think you spot on there. It’s about producing players not winning matches.

Sat May 11, 2024 3:01 pm

bluebird04 wrote:I got to spend a few hours with Purse back in November i think it was, top man. he explained his job isn't results, its mainly getting youngsters to step into the first team, and rightly so. he said, out of a group of say 16 u21's you'll be lucky if you get 2 , that step up into the first team, some might go on and have professional careers lower down, but most won't cut the cloth. he explained the loan system for us, that because our transfers/loans are different to say "english club to english club" we have slightly different rules. we can't send players out for 3 months, its a minimum of a 6 month deal only. most clubs that approach us to take a player on loan, don't want to waste a loan slot on a youngster that they're unsure about, and most of the time they only want them in the club as a squad number rather than a starter. so its hard getting academy players to play against men since they got rid of the reserve league.

Great post and tbh purse is doing what he's paid to do .