Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WHY FERGUSON TURNED US DOWN!!!!

Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:19 pm

DARREN Ferguson says that he ruled himself out of contention for the Sheffield Wednesday job after taking advice from his dad Sir Alex.
Ferguson, newly installed at Preston North End, is known to have been among several possible contenders for the Hillsborough post and has now revealed that he spoke to the Owls.

He said: "I had a meeting with Sheffield Wednesday and it came down to them or here. I spoke to my dad and we both came to the agreement that this was the right job for me."

It has not been confirmed whether Wednesday offered him the job or whether he was just on their shortlist.

There is also further speculation linking the Owls with axed Deepdale boss Alan Irvine, who was named as a contender in The Star last week.

Ferguson junior said: "I always go to him (Sir Alex) for advice. I would be wrong not to. I am very much my own man, but there are times when I'd be stupid not to ask for his advice.

"I spoke to him about the jobs and we both agreed that Preston was the right job. The talks went very well and I felt that at this moment in my career Preston was the right club. This club has always given its managers a chance."

The Owls, having earlier preferred to try to seal an investment deal before appointing a manager, are now thought to be eyeing an earlier appointment to give them a shot in the arm as they fight against relegation, after continued poor results.

But their game against fellow strugglers and Ferguson's former club Peterborough at Hillsborough on Saturday is likely to be postponed.

The pitch could be playable because of undersoil heating, and gritters have done a good job on main roads in the area, but snow and ice on pavements and sideroads across a wide area have raised concerns with the freeze set to continue.

If the game is off there would no point in the Owls recalling Akpo Sodje early from his loan at Charlton. The final game of his two months with the Addicks is due to be against Hartlepool .

:o

Re: WHY FERGUSON TURNED US DOWN!!!!

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:16 pm

sam salim wrote:DARREN Ferguson says that he ruled himself out of contention for the Sheffield Wednesday job after taking advice from his dad Sir Alex.
Ferguson, newly installed at Preston North End, is known to have been among several possible contenders for the Hillsborough post and has now revealed that he spoke to the Owls.

He said: "I had a meeting with Sheffield Wednesday and it came down to them or here. I spoke to my dad and we both came to the agreement that this was the right job for me."

It has not been confirmed whether Wednesday offered him the job or whether he was just on their shortlist.

There is also further speculation linking the Owls with axed Deepdale boss Alan Irvine, who was named as a contender in The Star last week.

Ferguson junior said: "I always go to him (Sir Alex) for advice. I would be wrong not to. I am very much my own man, but there are times when I'd be stupid not to ask for his advice.

"I spoke to him about the jobs and we both agreed that Preston was the right job. The talks went very well and I felt that at this moment in my career Preston was the right club. This club has always given its managers a chance."

The Owls, having earlier preferred to try to seal an investment deal before appointing a manager, are now thought to be eyeing an earlier appointment to give them a shot in the arm as they fight against relegation, after continued poor results.

But their game against fellow strugglers and Ferguson's former club Peterborough at Hillsborough on Saturday is likely to be postponed.

The pitch could be playable because of undersoil heating, and gritters have done a good job on main roads in the area, but snow and ice on pavements and sideroads across a wide area have raised concerns with the freeze set to continue.

If the game is off there would no point in the Owls recalling Akpo Sodje early from his loan at Charlton. The final game of his two months with the Addicks is due to be against Hartlepool .

:o

Sam, maybe going to Sheff Wed was to big a job for him in his early years, lets face it, Preston are a village compared to Sheff Wed .

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:22 pm

Probably Fergie still smarting after losing the League Cup Final 19 years ago. :lol:

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:27 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Probably Fergie still smarting after losing the League Cup Final 19 years ago. :lol:

Nice one!!! :lol:

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:41 pm

I think your right there Annis! We are to big a club for him! 8-)

Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:02 pm

hes not proven either sam
dont want a novice
weve had plenty o them
turner
wilson
yorath
PLEAT....