Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Putting my films on a hard drive

Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:54 pm

Onto a external hard drive all my films so they will come up on a menu and i can watch them on my tele.
It saves searching threw my dvds to find the film i want. Not sure how many i can get on there yet.
Does anyone know how many mega bites in a terra bite ?

Re: Putting my films on a hard drive

Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:57 pm

i THINK THERE'S A THOUSAND MEG'S IN A GIG AND A THOUSAND GIG'S IN A TETRA,MOST FILMS TAKE ABOUT 7OO MEG, SO YOU GOT LOT'S OF ROOM FOR LOT'S OF FILMS.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:03 pm

On average its using 4,571.696 KB a film. Not sure how much that is but im shrinking them first

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:03 pm

correct - 1000MB in a TB.

What format would you have to save your movies in to be playable on a TV with a direct USB plug and play device?

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:09 pm

Start by using decrypter then shrink it then turn it into an iso.
Then i plug my hard drive into the playing device and then connect with an HDMI into the tv.
Cracking picture just need that film you recomended Merlin to go on there. :ayatollah:

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:12 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Start by using decrypter then shrink it then turn it into an iso.
Then i plug my hard drive into the playing device and then connect with an HDMI into the tv.
Cracking picture just need that film you recomended Merlin to go on there. :ayatollah:

If you want a tidy DVD Shrink program - use this: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/D ... -4128.html

and click the US Mirror (server)

This should convert and shrink all in one go to ISO files, ready for your destination folder - I've used it for years.... (Personal Use of course!!! of my OWNED movies :lol: )

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:16 pm

Tidy chief i will make a note of that. Will that cost me another pint of Robinsons :lol: . By the way how many KB in a MB ?

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:58 pm

· 1000 Bytes = 1 Kilobyte
· 1000 Kilobytes = 1 Megabyte
· 1000 Megabytes = 1 Gigabyte
· 1000 Gigabytes = 1 Terabyte

Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:53 pm

Thanks Owain i should get loads on there. :computer:

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:30 pm

can you save legal dvds to the hard drive?

Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:18 am

Yes chief you can but you need decrypter and shrink or similar to do it, That is what im doing putting all my dvds (legal) all on to one hard drive. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:09 am

Nuclearblue wrote:On average its using 4,571.696 KB a film. Not sure how much that is but im shrinking them first

You need to check this.

As has been said, decent quality fims are about 700MB.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:34 am

How long is it taking er film to ecrypt and shrink. I decided against it because of the amount of time it would take.

I went with downloading torrents of films I had on DVD.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:13 am

SteW wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:On average its using 4,571.696 KB a film. Not sure how much that is but im shrinking them first

You need to check this.

If i didnt shrink it it would be 700 MB. The quality is exactly the same quality as the orriganal. Hope that helps

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:18 am

Wayne S wrote:How long is it taking er film to ecrypt and shrink. I decided against it because of the amount of time it would take.

I went with downloading torrents of films I had on DVD.

Its taking about half hour to fourty five mins per film.
Not to bad coz you click and walk away .

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:56 am

Nuclearblue wrote:
SteW wrote:

You need to check this.

If i didnt shrink it it would be 700 MB. The quality is exactly the same quality as the orriganal. Hope that helps

There's no way a film would take up 4,571.696KB.
That's 4MB. The size of the average MP3.

My first thought would be that you're not shrinking it at all, and it's actually 4,571,696KB, which is about 4GB.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:52 am

My first thought would be that you're not shrinking it at all, and it's actually 4,571,696KB, which is about 4GB.[/quote]

The memory is 931GB and i have 854GB left to use and i have put 17 DVDS on there so far. I am shrinking them coz if i want to put it on a RW then it would have to shrink or it wouldent fit. On average on the icon it says 4,571,696KB so that is what it is taking.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:03 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:

My first thought would be that you're not shrinking it at all, and it's actually 4,571,696KB, which is about 4GB.

The memory is 931GB and i have 854GB left to use and i have put 17 DVDS on there so far. I am shrinking them coz if i want to put it on a RW then it would have to shrink or it wouldent fit. On average on the icon it says 4,571,696KB so that is what it is taking.

Yeah, that's 4GB, not 4MB.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:12 pm

At PC world it said on the guide around 150 films. and i will get around 190 films on there. It is shrinking but i admit i thought it would do it more than that. :o

Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:14 pm

If you get them down to 700MB, which won't have a huge impact on quality, you could get over a thousand on there.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:27 pm

SteW wrote:If you get them down to 700MB, which won't have a huge impact on quality, you could get over a thousand on there.

Sorry Stew i worked it out top of my head in previous post. just worked it out properly and with 931GB and 4GB a film thats 232 DVDS on there.
Which isnt bad considering they said 150.
How could i get it down to 700MB ? ive trimmed it down as much as i can Chief.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:30 pm

The easiest way would be to download them, as mentioned above.

If not, there should be an option in whatever program you're using.
I haven't done it for ages, but I think I used a program called DVD Fab Platinum. Nice and simple, stick the DVD in, a couple of clicks, then just wait. Job done.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:02 am

Nuclearblue wrote:Yes chief you can but you need decrypter and shrink or similar to do it, That is what im doing putting all my dvds (legal) all on to one hard drive. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

where do u get a decryptor from? :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:18 am

Google it then dowload it. last time i looked they stopped you downloading it copyright and all that shit but ive backed it up on disk so lovely jublly