Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I would love to see...

Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:34 pm

...Cardiff City holding regular roadshows and training camps/ mini tournaments for kids and youths in Caerphilly & the rest of the valleys. Caerphilly and the Valleys are blue as we all know, but if the club really invested in schemes like this and used intelligent marketing techniques they would be able to win over the remainder of football fans up this way and turn alot of kids away from the rugby stronghold.

The Valleys is a hugely patriotic place and I think those who dont support the City dont because of the perceived rivalry between the big city and the valleys - but if the club we're to tap into that and break down the barriers it would have a hugely positive impact on attendances and would help prepare the next generation of valleys footballers

I'm not sure if anything like this already takes place in Cardiff, but I couldn't speak for the Cardiff area itself as I'm not from there.

Money is obviously a big drawback with all this, however if we were to go up I believe this would be vital to buiding a sustainable plan to cement our footing as a prem team. Maybe one day...soon hopefully :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: I would love to see...

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:29 pm

CastletownBlue wrote:...Cardiff City holding regular roadshows and training camps/ mini tournaments for kids and youths in Caerphilly & the rest of the valleys. Caerphilly and the Valleys are blue as we all know, but if the club really invested in schemes like this and used intelligent marketing techniques they would be able to win over the remainder of football fans up this way and turn alot of kids away from the rugby stronghold.

The Valleys is a hugely patriotic place and I think those who dont support the City dont because of the perceived rivalry between the big city and the valleys - but if the club we're to tap into that and break down the barriers it would have a hugely positive impact on attendances and would help prepare the next generation of valleys footballers

I'm not sure if anything like this already takes place in Cardiff, but I couldn't speak for the Cardiff area itself as I'm not from there.

Money is obviously a big drawback with all this, however if we were to go up I believe this would be vital to buiding a sustainable plan to cement our footing as a prem team. Maybe one day...soon hopefully :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

There is still huge untapped potential in the Valleys. Something like 700000 people live in the stretch north of the M4 from Pontypool to Maesteg. There is precious little sporting glory for us, only City and egg-chasing. Although there are plenty of Bluebirds up here, its only scratching the surface. Still outnumbered 3 or 4 to 1 at least by the plastics.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:30 pm

They do offer regular Training Camps with Gary Wilmot and Scott Young (anyway they did as far as I know, as I attended them for years up until about 2-3 years ago)

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:43 pm

the plastic to City fans ratio is exactly what pisses me off, even though the valleys are perceived to be rugby orientated from the outside, u an I both know 99% of the boys here support a football team - problem is a large proportion of them feel no affiliation with Cardiff whatsoever. I can only talk from personal experience, and most of the boys I bother with and know in Caerphilly and further up the valley (who are not City supporters) have grown up basically hating Cardiff boys from scrapping in town with them and the different accent/ culture etc causes divides.

What I try to tell them if that its our club as well - if your from the valleys its your home town club, and people will naturally argue & hold stereotypical opinions if they dont know one another etc etc, but as soon as u go away or enter our stadium none of that exists and we're as one. If the club could tap into that and break the perception; break down the barriers I firmly believe the club would benefit to a very large extent

Like I said the valleys house very patriotic people loyal people, with shed loads of passion etc and it does my nut in to see half of my mates and loads more gangs of boys in Caerphilly and throughout the valleys wearing Man U or Liverpool tops when they would be brilliant support for us down our place and away from home...dont get me wrong I still go to each game with a load of us and the back of the Canton stand hold a little Caerphilly area as well - its just frustrating when it could be so much better :ayatollah:

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:47 pm

brilliantbluebirds09 wrote:They do offer regular Training Camps with Gary Wilmot and Scott Young (anyway they did as far as I know, as I attended them for years up until about 2-3 years ago)

what sort of scale was this on mate? If I'm honest I've never seen anything like this around my ways but I accept I may have missed it - it doesn't suprise me Scott Young wouldve been involved wih it cus hes a legend. Just the fact I haven't heard of it previously suggests it wasn't on the scale it needs to be if we're going to win over the masses...i could be wide of the mark though

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:49 pm

CastletownBlue wrote:the plastic to City fans ratio is exactly what pisses me off, even though the valleys are perceived to be rugby orientated from the outside, u an I both know 99% of the boys here support a football team - problem is a large proportion of them feel no affiliation with Cardiff whatsoever. I can only talk from personal experience, and most of the boys I bother with and know in Caerphilly and further up the valley (who are not City supporters) have grown up basically hating Cardiff boys from scrapping in town with them and the different accent/ culture etc causes divides.

What I try to tell them if that its our club as well - if your from the valleys its your home town club, and people will naturally argue & hold stereotypical opinions if they dont know one another etc etc, but as soon as u go away or enter our stadium none of that exists and we're as one. If the club could tap into that and break the perception; break down the barriers I firmly believe the club would benefit to a very large extent

Like I said the valleys house very patriotic people loyal people, with shed loads of passion etc and it does my nut in to see half of my mates and loads more gangs of boys in Caerphilly and throughout the valleys wearing Man U or Liverpool tops when they would be brilliant support for us down our place and away from home...dont get me wrong I still go to each game with a load of us and the back of the Canton stand hold a little Caerphilly area as well - its just frustrating when it could be so much better :ayatollah:

15 of us Caerphilly lads in 115.

I know what you mean, but I dont think there is much anti-Cardiff stuff in the Valleys away from a few egg-chasers these days. Not that I come accross anyway, its more to do with the glamour of the big clubs and TV that they follow them. the club are making a big effort and will increase this in the future to make valleys people feel part of the club as CCFC is the club not just for Cardiff but also for the Valleys - and all roads lead to Cardiff in the end !

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:52 pm

CastletownBlue wrote:...Cardiff City holding regular roadshows and training camps/ mini tournaments for kids and youths in Caerphilly & the rest of the valleys. Caerphilly and the Valleys are blue as we all know, but if the club really invested in schemes like this and used intelligent marketing techniques they would be able to win over the remainder of football fans up this way and turn alot of kids away from the rugby stronghold.

YEP AGREE MATE 100% LOYAL THE VALLEYS, MORE SO THAN SOME IN CARDIFF TO BE TOTALY HONEST AND THATS FROM A CARDIFF BORN GUY!

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:58 pm

Lawnmower wrote:
CastletownBlue wrote:the plastic to City fans ratio is exactly what pisses me off, even though the valleys are perceived to be rugby orientated from the outside, u an I both know 99% of the boys here support a football team - problem is a large proportion of them feel no affiliation with Cardiff whatsoever. I can only talk from personal experience, and most of the boys I bother with and know in Caerphilly and further up the valley (who are not City supporters) have grown up basically hating Cardiff boys from scrapping in town with them and the different accent/ culture etc causes divides.

I know what you mean, but I dont think there is much anti-Cardiff stuff in the Valleys away from a few egg-chasers these days. Not that I come accross anyway, its more to do with the glamour of the big clubs and TV that they follow them. the club are making a big effort and will increase this in the future to make valleys people feel part of the club as CCFC is the club not just for Cardiff but also for the Valleys - and all roads lead to Cardiff in the end !

I can only talk about the boys I bother with tbh and they cant stand most Cardiff boys we come into contact with purely cus they hate the way their talk and they perceive them to be far too confident? I do my best to try to tell them its just a stereotype held up our ways but its difficult when the only time they come into contact with Cardiff boys when we're out on the piss, everyones a wanker then in they! ha. If I mention Cardiff City then, they just relate to their opinions - its alright for me I've worked in Cardiff since I was 18 (Im 27 now) and I got some wicked mates from Cardiff, theres dickheads and sound people everywhere - Cardiff no different.

Defo see what ur saying bou the glamour of the big clubs tho, thats obv a big pull and something we cant really compete against - what the club needs to do is push the glamour clubs to be the plastics 2nd clubs almost, which is doable in my opinion..

What part of Caerphilly you from then mate?

Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:00 pm

welshcitydragon wrote:

YEP AGREE MATE 100% LOYAL THE VALLEYS, MORE SO THAN SOME IN CARDIFF TO BE TOTALY HONEST AND THATS FROM A CARDIFF BORN GUY!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: The mix of Cardiff and Valleys boys (and women of course) is the main reason why are supporters are the best in the country imo :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:05 pm

they still run them i think in the cynon valley during school holidays :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:09 pm

CastletownBlue wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:

I can only talk about the boys I bother with tbh and they cant stand most Cardiff boys we come into contact with purely cus they hate the way their talk and they perceive them to be far too confident? I do my best to try to tell them its just a stereotype held up our ways but its difficult when the only time they come into contact with Cardiff boys when we're out on the piss, everyones a wanker then in they! ha. If I mention Cardiff City then, they just relate to their opinions - its alright for me I've worked in Cardiff since I was 18 (Im 27 now) and I got some wicked mates from Cardiff, theres dickheads and sound people everywhere - Cardiff no different.

Defo see what ur saying bou the glamour of the big clubs tho, thats obv a big pull and something we cant really compete against - what the club needs to do is push the glamour clubs to be the plastics 2nd clubs almost, which is doable in my opinion..

What part of Caerphilly you from then mate?

Grew up in Mornington Meadows, live in Bedwas now. Our group are all in our 40's -lots of us take our kids now as well.

As you say, good and bad everywhere. I dont see the nightclub arguments as I'm past that now. Never used to either when I was a youngster, was either on the pull or too pissed to be bothered.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:12 pm

I posted this a couple of months ago and since then the club have introduced their scheme in the Valleys (i think in conjunction with the Jacks in certain areas as well) which saw them in Caerphilly Leisure Centre last week holding sessions for 4-11 year olds - Darcy and Rambo attended on behalf of the club being local boys...great to see and the futures defo bright if this approach is maintained! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:16 pm

JonScam wrote:I posted this a couple of months ago and since then the club have introduced their scheme in the Valleys (i think in conjunction with the Jacks in certain areas as well) which saw them in Caerphilly Leisure Centre last week holding sessions for 4-11 year olds - Darcy and Rambo attended on behalf of the club being local boys...great to see and the futures defo bright if this approach is maintained! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Saw the pics from this in 'the campaign', loads of kids with City shirts on -great to see.
Wish I'd known it was on I would have had a shave, put my shorts on and tried to sneak in. :lol:

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:18 pm

Lawnmower wrote:
JonScam wrote:I posted this a couple of months ago and since then the club have introduced their scheme in the Valleys (i think in conjunction with the Jacks in certain areas as well) which saw them in Caerphilly Leisure Centre last week holding sessions for 4-11 year olds - Darcy and Rambo attended on behalf of the club being local boys...great to see and the futures defo bright if this approach is maintained! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Saw the pics from this in 'the campaign', loads of kids with City shirts on -great to see.
Wish I'd known it was on I would have had a shave, put my shorts on and tried to sneak in. :lol:

I was tempted to try that too :(

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:24 pm

haha :ayatollah: