Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" ' Young Guns ' Meeting 20/01/11 "

Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:37 pm

On behalf of the forum and those who participate in the fund-raising for the development centres, a few of us met with club officials last night which included Gethin Jenkins and Scott Young.

On arriving at the stadium and meeting in reception it was very apt that I got speaking to families who were at the club to talk with our academy staff regarding their children signing up for our academy, I got speaking to 2 families who had travelled from the Bristol area and their impression was that City were the right club for their children to attend.

The meeting took place in a suite on level 2 in the stadium and got underway at 6pm. I must say that it was a relaxed and cordial meeting.

Via Gwyn, Annis, Clive and myself, we spoke of our plans and objectives for the fund-raising and how together with the club we could move forward and help the grass roots football of our club.

We are pleased that we have the full support of the staff and that there were many ideas brought to the table to help the fund.

There will be a full page advert in the match programme against Reading on February 1st.

The leaflets will be sent out in the same envelope as the season tickets.

There will be a bucket collection at an upcoming home game.

These are ideas and suggestions that were presented and agreed on last night.

There will be events taking place that we all can attend that will include Ex-City players.

The meeting was productive from our point of view and I believe I would not be wrong in saying that the staff of the club thought so too.

On Saturday, before the Watford game, there will be leaflets distributed to make fans aware of the initiative.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " ' Young Guns ' Meeting 20/01/11 "

Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:41 pm

carlccfc wrote:On behalf of the forum and those who participate in the fund-raising for the development centres, a few of us met with club officials last night which included Gethin Jenkins and Scott Young.

On arriving at the stadium and meeting in reception it was very apt that I got speaking to families who were at the club to talk with our academy staff regarding their children signing up for our academy, I got speaking to 2 families who had travelled from the Bristol area and their impression was that City were the right club for their children to attend.

The meeting took place in a suite on level 2 in the stadium and got underway at 6pm. I must say that it was a relaxed and cordial meeting.

Via Gwyn, Annis, Clive and myself, we spoke of our plans and objectives for the fund-raising and how together with the club we could move forward and help the grass roots football of our club.

We are pleased that we have the full support of the staff and that there were many ideas brought to the table to help the fund.

There will be a full page advert in the match programme against Reading on February 1st.

There will be events taking place that we all can attend that will include Ex-City players.

The meeting was productive from our point of view and I believe I would not be wrong in saying that the staff of the club thought so too.

On Saturday, before the Watford game, there will be leaflets distributed to make fans aware of the initiative.

Carl

Not trying to be difficult because I think the initiative is a fine one worthy of support.

But is the attached leaflet a draft or the final version? Because it says "Young Gun`s" not "Young Guns" - who checked the spelling? Something to look out for on any future printed matter?

Keith

Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:46 pm

since62 wrote:
carlccfc wrote:On behalf of the forum and those who participate in the fund-raising for the development centres, a few of us met with club officials last night which included Gethin Jenkins and Scott Young.

Carl

Not trying to be difficult because I think the initiative is a fine one worthy of support.

But is the attached leaflet a draft or the final version? Because it says "Young Gun`s" not "Young Guns" - who checked the spelling? Something to look out for on any future printed matter?

Keith

Keith, I thought about this and the reason is that Arsenal call their academy kids "Young Guns" So when we decided on the title because of Scott Young, I changed it slightly to suit.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:51 pm

Maybe Young's Guns would be a good one? :ayatollah:

Nice ideas and I will be setting my standing order up this week now.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:52 pm

carlccfc wrote:
since62 wrote:

Carl

Keith

Keith, I thought about this and the reason is that Arsenal call their academy kids "Young Guns" So when we decided on the title because of Scott Young, I changed it slightly to suit.

OK .Its just everywhere else , including in your post title , it says "Young Guns" and the apostrophe just doesn`t make sense in the leaflet.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:55 pm

since62 wrote:Carl

Keith

Keith, I thought about this and the reason is that Arsenal call their academy kids "Young Guns" So when we decided on the title because of Scott Young, I changed it slightly to suit.[/quote]

OK .Its just everywhere else , including in your post title , it says "Young Guns" and the apostrophe just doesn`t make sense in the leaflet.[/quote]
Keith it is about raising funds not English lesson's :lol:

Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:56 pm

Zabier wrote:Maybe Young's Guns would be a good one? :ayatollah:

Nice ideas and I will be setting my standing order up this week now.

Cheers Zabier money towards a worthwhile cause :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Eddie May wrote:Since62

OK .Its just everywhere else , including in your post title , it says "Young Guns" and the apostrophe just doesn`t make sense in the leaflet.

very very petty,why not support it first before condeming,Carl, you will have my £12 in the ninianpark pub tomorrow, fantastic initiative by this forum :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:[/quote]

In all fairness, little things like correct spelling and punctuation can increase the appeal of such a fundraiser and make it appear more professional and more valid. It's only a small issue though and nothing to cause a shit storm over so it's not a problem.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:06 pm

carlccfc wrote:
since62 wrote:Carl

Keith

OK .Its just everywhere else , including in your post title , it says "Young Guns" and the apostrophe just doesn`t make sense in the leaflet.[/quote]
Keith it is about raising funds not English lesson's :lol:[/quote]

Maybe, but Keith is correct..so why not change it?

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:10 pm

Guys, I have never corrected anyone on a message board regarding spelling etc but Keith is right.

If you're running a 'promotion' then you've got to get it right before release, it's different to posting a forum message.

Only trying to be helpful but the apostrophe should be dropped or as already suggested placed on Young for 'Young's guns'

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Last edited by RobP on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:12 pm

Eddie May wrote:Since62

Carl

Keith
since62

very very petty,why not support it first before condeming,Carl, you will have my £12 in the ninianpark pub tomorrow, fantastic initiative by this forum :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:[/quote]

Eddie

As I said right at the beginning of my post , I wasn`t trying to be difficult and said right up front that I thought the initiative was a good one.

Not petty at all. Either the printer was advised wrongly or has made a mistake , because (from Carl`s explanation) , what was supposed to say "Young`s Guns" in fact says "Young Gun`s" which makes no sense. I thought it helpful to point it out so the same mistake is not repeated on any future printing which save on unnecessary reprint costs.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:26 pm

Presentation is paramount.

Carl, my daughter is a graphic designer who works in the field of promotion and advertising, she does all the graphics for my Companies. ( got to get the Uni fees back somehow!) if you ever need anything done, drop me a line. She will sort.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:39 pm

On arriving at the stadium and meeting in reception it was very apt that I got speaking to families who were at the club to talk with our academy staff regarding their children signing up for our academy, I got speaking to 2 families who had travelled from the Bristol area and their impression was that City were the right club for their children to attend. That Bristol fixation again :lol:

The meeting took place in a suite on level 2 in the stadium and got underway at 6pm. I must say that it was a relaxed and cordial meeting. I would doubt a meeting that had people coming forward with the offer of free money would be tense!

There will be a full page advert in the match programme against Reading on February 1st. Not being negative but dont expect too much programme adverts don't produce much of a response but good you got some free publicity

The leaflets will be sent out in the same envelope as the season tickets. Again not a high productive way of raising funds, are the leaflets being printed free?

There will be a bucket collection at an upcoming home game. Old hat but works and free way to collect change, pubs and bars always best to collect, will you have access to the premier suites as well as the bars? The tenevous charitys and that do,

These are ideas and suggestions that were presented and agreed on last night. In my opinion you need far stronger ones to raise good amounts

The meeting was productive from our point of view and I believe I would not be wrong in saying that the staff of the club thought so too. Good first step Carl for your group . Club will always take free money so should think so too!

Are these leaflets free in produce Carl or did you occur costs?

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:42 pm

Regards the leaflet Carl, and this is only trying to help you, but pictures tell stories mate, you need less words and more pictures! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:49 pm

Said we should have gone with Citys Kids, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope this huge grammatical error doesn't discourage people from supporting this great cause, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:49 pm

As stated on here when we launched the fund there will be NO deductions for expenses, leaflets, postage, phone bills, collection bins, staff costs. All the money raised will go to youth development.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:53 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Said we should have gone with Citys Kids, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope this huge grammatical error doesn't discourage people from supporting this great cause, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The good thing about mistakes - it attracts notice! :lol: :lol:

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:55 pm

ridofrid wrote:As stated on here when we launched the fund there will be NO deductions for expenses, leaflets, postage, phone bills, collection bins, staff costs. All the money raised will go to youth development.

Thats good of course and understood, did you attract a sponsor to print for free? if so they must be worth a mention?

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:55 pm

Good Job No one gets paid for anything and No Expenses are taken :lol: other wise people would be hung drawn and quartered :lol: FOR A GOOD CAUSE :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:57 pm

Daya wrote:
ridofrid wrote:As stated on here when we launched the fund there will be NO deductions for expenses, leaflets, postage, phone bills, collection bins, staff costs. All the money raised will go to youth development.

Thats good of course and understood, did you attract a sponsor to print for free? if so they must be worth a mention?

They will be members of course, and by the way your membership card will be available in the Ninian tomorrow if your dropping in.

Clive

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:58 pm

Daya wrote:

Yes they are on the ones printed :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Forever Blue wrote:Good Job No one gets paid for anything and No Expenses are taken :lol: other wise people would be hung drawn and quartered :lol: FOR A GOOD CAUSE :ayatollah:

promotion though is key . people are just trying to help by the looks to me including Keith.

promotion, promotion, promotion. Why do you think Jesus died on the cross?

the promote his book Annis !! - it worked its a best seller world wide for years!

Daya wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:Said we should have gone with Citys Kids, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The good thing about mistakes - it attracts notice! :lol: :lol:

Daya, No Such thing as Bad Publicity :lol: :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:00 pm

Daya, No Such thing as Bad Publicity

I dont think Gerald Ratner would agree :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:03 pm

ridofrid wrote:
Daya wrote:

They will be members of course, and by the way your membership card will be available in the Ninian tomorrow if your dropping in.

Clive

Thanks for the info!

Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:03 pm

Daya In 24 hrs we have had Jesus, Saddam and Hitler from you. The mind boggles.

Come and pick your card up tomorrow from the Ninian got to meet you.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:06 pm

ridofrid wrote:Daya In 24 hrs we have had Jesus, Saddam and Hitler from you. The mind boggles.

Come and pick your card up tomorrow from the Ninian got to meet you.

I'll be in the Prem Club mate . in a rush too as football in the morning.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:13 pm

Are we going to have a total counter on this forum? whats the fund on so far?

Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:26 pm

I have suggested one of those thermometer thingys, and as you go up the graduations it can be linked to targets, such as training bibs and balls, goalposts and nets, a mini bus, etc etc depending on what Scott can identify needs help. :idea:

Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:30 pm

My proof reader picked this up prior to going to print. Don't worry Carl I'm shit at spelling aslo :lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: .

Well done Carl.