Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Sky Say Sunderrland have bid for Bothroyd ?

Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:34 am

:roll:

Re: Sky Say Sunderrland have bid for Bothroyd ?

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:38 am

Every player has his price. If the right price comes in he's gone. can't see us hanging on to him. Sunderland got pots of money to spend. Hope Jonesy got a replacement in mind for Jay - prolly JET :lol: If we do sell then I would slam a bid in for Charlie Austin a bit rapid. He's the right age an up and coming star.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:53 am

2m now or take a gamble that his goals will bring us the 90 million jackpot that comes with promotion :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:54 am

Mr Moo Cow wrote::roll:

They would sell Jay for £3 mill.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:59 am

steve bruce is a very big fan of jay, ive been told by sunderland fans that his bid could go up to 9m. but jay doesnt want to leave. sunderland are interested in sulli muntari,charles n'zogbia, robbie keane, michael owen etc.. so i think with them intrests it will take the heat off the jay signing. :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:15 am

rowlandsccfc wrote:steve bruce is a very big fan of jay, ive been told by sunderland fans that his bid could go up to 9m but jay doesnt want to leave.

:D Steve Bruce does not know his football if he is willing to bid that much for Jay.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:15 am

why would they bring parkin,thomas in if we was keeping jay think about it,pretty obvious hes off not rocket science

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:17 am

Jay will not go to Sunderland :old:

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:19 am

i would take 9m!!!

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:25 am

thats what ive been told anyways, i dont actually know deep down, its just the info ive been given. i live in gateshead now and we get the local paper called the chronicle, basically the same as the south wales echo, but based on the north east. it hasnt said anything in there about sunderland going for jay, but all i know that the other say sunderland had a bid rejected, and they could re-bid up to 9m. :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:27 am

Wayne S wrote:
rowlandsccfc wrote:steve bruce is a very big fan of jay, ive been told by sunderland fans that his bid could go up to 9m but jay doesnt want to leave.

:D Steve Bruce does not know his football if he is willing to bid that much for Jay.

well at the end of the day, hes been given 24m for darren bent, so hes got the money.
the way football is nowadays i wouldnt put it past him.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:41 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Mr Moo Cow wrote::roll:

They would sell Jay for £3 mill.

Think you would struggle to get that much considering the amount of time left on his contract Annis?

I was thinking more £1.5m-1.75m

You have enough firepower up front anyway if he goes. A loss yes but not the end of the world, still jealous of your striking options.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:51 am

caerblue wrote:2m now or take a gamble that his goals will bring us the 90 million jackpot that comes with promotion :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Like Ridsdale did the same gamble with Ledley, you mean?

We are heavily in debt... need a bit of realism.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:09 am

rowlandsccfc wrote:
Wayne S wrote:

well at the end of the day, hes been given 24m for darren bent, so hes got the money.
the way football is nowadays i wouldnt put it past him.

You mis-interpret my post. I say he doesn't know his football because Jay is in the last six months of his contract. Even if he is worth £9m it would only take £3m because he will be worth nothing at the end of the season.

If you are hearing these rumours up north, it's the price quoted that should make you think it's not true.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:26 am

these are rumours mind, probs people chatting shit, im just going off what ive been told, to try and give everyone a peaceful mind, because we all dont want jay to go.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:28 am

rowlandsccfc wrote:these are rumours mind, probs people chatting shit, im just going off what ive been told, to try and give everyone a peaceful mind, because we all dont want jay to go.

According to Sunderland they only have 1 fit striker in Gyan so could have legs.

You were always going to lose him I believe so shouldn't be a great shock, you have excellent cover.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:34 am

Kenny Miller was sold for fkin 500k euros, even though he is shit but 3millions seems like an awfully high price for Jay

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:37 am

nerd wrote:
caerblue wrote:2m now or take a gamble that his goals will bring us the 90 million jackpot that comes with promotion :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Yes, except Jay Bothroyd is good enough to play in the Premier League. Joe Ledley is not.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:41 am

DaveSheffield wrote:
nerd wrote:

Yes, except Jay Bothroyd is good enough to play in the Premier League. Joe Ledley is not.

Which was kinda irrelevant to my point.

Ridsdale gambled on not selling Ledley for a ridiculous 6m on gaining the magical 90m in the Prem.
We're doing the same with Bothroyd... if 2m was offered, keep Jay, don't go up, that's 2m effectively lost.

We're not in the position financially to turn many offers down - people cite the Malaysians, but let's be honest, they fund shortfalls, all we're doing is transferring debts from one party to another.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:42 am

yeah but thats the scottish market for you. scottish clubs get raped for their players with a few exceptions..

dj saying today put your money where your mouth is with jay. that tells you if the right bid comes in then hes offski, but we dont have to accept a measly bid. £3m is a good price for someone who's contract is up soon but £3m is not a lot when compared to how much we would get for being promoted and the benefit of having jay in the team. although now we are prepared for him to go with the players dj has brought in.

will be an interesting end to the month comin up

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:44 am

rowlandsccfc wrote:steve bruce is a very big fan of jay, ive been told by sunderland fans that his bid could go up to 9m. but jay doesnt want to leave. sunderland are interested in sulli muntari,charles n'zogbia, robbie keane, michael owen etc.. so i think with them intrests it will take the heat off the jay signing. :ayatollah:

Absolutely no way will Sunderland go up to £9m.

I believe they've bid around £1.5m. Also they have ruled out Robbie Keane. Sunderland don't have as much money as everyone thinks, they've failed to agree personal terms with Fuller and still have the likes of Healy picking up a big wage in their reserves.

Not to say won't go there before the transfer window closes but it will not be for anything close to £9m.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:46 am

nerd wrote:
DaveSheffield wrote:Yes, except Jay Bothroyd is good enough to play in the Premier League. Joe Ledley is not.

Which was kinda irrelevant to my point.

Ridsdale gambled on not selling Ledley for a ridiculous 6m on gaining the magical 90m in the Prem.
We're doing the same with Bothroyd... if 2m was offered, keep Jay, don't go up, that's 2m effectively lost.

We're not in the position financially to turn many offers down - people cite the Malaysians, but let's be honest, they fund shortfalls, all we're doing is transferring debts from one party to another.

Did Stoke ever really bid £6m for Ledley though? And who would we have brought in in the few hours we had til the end of the window? Liesdale was in charge so Jones wouldn't have had any of the money so as far as I'm concerned the phantom £6m bid is totally irrelevant.

If £2m was offered, keep Jay, do go up, that's at least £30m gained. We have nothing to lose by keeping him. It is more likely we will get promoted than not with Bothroyd in our team.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:53 am

DaveSheffield wrote:Did Stoke ever really bid £6m for Ledley though? And who would we have brought in in the few hours we had til the end of the window? Liesdale was in charge so Jones wouldn't have had any of the money so as far as I'm concerned the phantom £6m bid is totally irrelevant.

If £2m was offered, keep Jay, do go up, that's at least £30m gained. We have nothing to lose by keeping him. It is more likely we will get promoted than not with Bothroyd in our team.

Stoke originally bid 6m for Ledley, an utter ridiculous price for the player. Offer too good to turn down, so Liesdale did... used the "promotion" card.

More likely than not, well, that is subjective and can never be proven either way. Of course he's a good player but we've got to be realistic from a financial perspective.

2m for a player out of contract in summer who may well leave then. History in the form of DJ's record indicates the chance of promotion isn't going to be high.

The club need to be tougher on contract negotiations to prevent contracts running down - tie players down before the last year. Don't want to sign? Sell for a decent offer.

We can't keep relying on Malaysians to fund everything, because all that does is transfer to debts / loans to another party. Equally, gambling on promotion is akin to spending your entire wage on lottery tickets and being bemused as to why you're skint when you don't win the jackpot.

EDIT: And going back to Ledley,DJ and Liesdale both still believed Ledley's market value was 6m in his final yuear due to Stoke's previous bid. Which shows a glaring lack of common sense.