Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Bothroyd's value for transfer

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:29 am

well he's worth 30 million to us?

So reason tells me that has to be the selling price.......not for one instance do i think we are going to get it.

Re: Bothroyd's value for transfer

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:31 am

if we got offered 30m id drive him there myself then proceed to "monkey face" the buying clubs chairman :D :D

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:40 am

Johnny Rythmn wrote:well he's worth 30 million to us?

So reason tells me that has to be the selling price.......not for one instance do i think we are going to get it.

Well you could say 60 million then as one season in prem plus 3 with parachute payments.

Of course Jay does not guarantee promotion. How could he? He could spend the next 7 weeks out again or break a leg be out rest of season.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:46 am

with the length still left on his contract if we get offered more than £2 million that would be a good offer but I would not sell at any price

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:49 am

His value to our team is immeasurable, we'd be selling our main asset. We must keep him at all costs.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:53 am

CF64 BLUE wrote:His value to our team is immeasurable, we'd be selling our main asset. We must keep him at all costs.

Nice one, mate. The ONLY sensible comment in this stream so far....

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:58 am

IF he was in another team, Westham or Everton or Stoke and putting goals away like he has done here he would be around 18mil, but cos Its Cardiff 4/5mil will do for them. Why should it be like that.

If we are serious about promotion how can we let him go for any kind of money? He along with chops are the main men that got us into second place. Even if they pay 6mil for him ,how would we be sure that we can get another striker that will carry on from where he left off?
For me to sell him now it would be suicide by the club and it would show that we have no real interest in prem football.
I think it would be better to loose him for nothing in the summer than to loose out on promotion now,which is what would happen. Ok we just got a couple of new guys in BUT is it worth banking on them to carry on the way jay has for us? NO!
Yes the beast has scored in his first game , but one swallow do not a summer make ,and its going to take more than 4/3 games of any striker to build up the kind of understanding that Jay and Chops has got.

Sorry but no matter who they bring in now, we still need Jay to take us to the prem,If they were to take 3/4/5/6 mil now
it will show no serious intention of getting to the prem for me and Im sure there are others who will see it in the same way.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:05 am

welshcitydragon wrote:IF he was in another team, Westham or Everton or Stoke and putting goals away like he has done here he would be around 18mil, but cos Its Cardiff 4/5mil will do for them. Why should it be like that.

If we are serious about promotion how can we let him go for any kind of money? He along with chops are the main men that got us into second place. Even if they pay 6mil for him ,how would we be sure that we can get another striker that will carry on from where he left off?
For me to sell him now it would be suicide by the club and it would show that we have no real interest in prem football.
I think it would be better to loose him for nothing in the summer than to loose out on promotion now,which is what would happen. Ok we just got a couple of new guys in BUT is it worth banking on them to carry on the way jay has for us? NO!
Yes the beast has scored in his first game , but one swallow do not a summer make ,and its going to take more than 4/3 games of any striker to build up the kind of understanding that Jay and Chops has got.

Sorry but no matter who they bring in now, we still need Jay to take us to the prem,If they were to take 3/4/5/6 mil now
it will show no serious intention of getting to the prem for me and Im sure there are others who will see it in the same way.

totally agree mate he is invaluable to us and if he takes us up he will become a Cardiff legend and I think he knows that.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:11 am

IF he takes us up.

Which isn't a guarantee - he's not taken us up other years... and if our club is utterly dependent upon one player, we've got serious problems.

IF we don't go up, then lose him for nothing. We're not in the financial situation we can afford to turn money down... nor can we demand the earth because of his contract situation.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:16 am

nerd wrote:IF he takes us up.

Which isn't a guarantee - he's not taken us up other years... and if our club is utterly dependent upon one player, we've got serious problems.

IF we don't go up, then lose him for nothing. We're not in the financial situation we can afford to turn money down... nor can we demand the earth because of his contract situation.

The way he is putting goals away NOW ! and chops is starting too ,then we would be saying ,OK we will take 3/4mil now and forget the prem which is worth one hell of alot more. I would take a chance to loose 3/4mil rather than 90mil in May.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:23 am

Again, maybe, maybe not. Each season someone different has stepped up with goals... people last season said selling Whitts would cost us promotion this season based upon the goals.

it's all very well quoting the money in the Prem - again, there's no guarantee whatsoever we would go up. Gambling on losing money because we may go up is precisely the same approach ridsdale took.

5 days time, Bothroyd's value is sweet FA. It's all very well saying you'd rather miss out on£X than risking missing out of potentially £XXXXX, all you're then doing is relying upon the Malaysians pumping more money it. Exchanging one debt for another.

The club yet again fucked up by not dealing with contracts before they even got into the final year. Tie players up contractually - don't agree to new contract, maximise sale value. It's then only way to do it.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:33 am

There not agree to contract now cos if they do go up and there still out of contract they have more power to ask for more money,or some kind of a better deal. Its good Biz for them to wait and see.
Also you must agree that we have more chance of going up with Jay than without him.
You will not remember the Tosh deal last time we had a chane of going up to the old 1st.
But they sold out then, and from then on it was down hill slowly but surley,now you want to take that chance again.
Im sure there are some on here that will remember what IM talking about.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:40 am

No, they won't agree to a contract now.

Hence the club needs to push players to sign when 18 months left on the contract. If not, then look to sell and replace.

I'm aware of Tosh, and I'm also aware the logic used to keep Bothroyd doesn't stand up from a business perspective. It's all very well clamouring for the Prem money, but it's putting all your eggs in one basket. Look back to the Stoke 6m offer for Ledley. "Ooooh, we can't replace him now" said Ridsdale. Prem beckoned. Oh wait, we lost out on 6m. But that's ok, because we may have made 90m.

The economic reality of things is we're skint. And relying upon the Malaysians to continually stump up money. That money will have to be repaid...

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:51 am

The loss on Bothroyd would be £375,000 if stays until the summer and then walks away on a free. That's the fee we paid Wolves.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:59 am

If there's an offer on the table greater than that, the loss is greater. Don't forget to add his wages in there too.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:02 am

It do stand up from Jay point and you cant blame him for what him and his Agent is doing.
if he puts pen to paper now,he will get another what ? say 1/2/3k a week.
If he waits till his contract runs down and we get to the prem, he can ask for a hell of alot more,thats good biz for him.
Sorry I would rather take a chane and loose 3/4mil than loose 90mil. also I reckon some of the fans would say we sold jay f**k em. and stay away. We are not a one man team I agree , but take one man from the team that keeps putting goals away like he is and the machine may just start to miss fire. But you have your view I have my view and Im sure there are others who would look at it another way.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:07 am

welshcitydragon wrote:IF he was in another team, Westham or Everton or Stoke and putting goals away like he has done here he would be around 18mil, but cos Its Cardiff 4/5mil will do for them. Why should it be like that.If we are serious about promotion how can we let him go for any kind of money? He along with chops are the main men that got us into second place. Even if they pay 6mil for him ,how would we be sure that we can get another striker that will carry on from where he left off?

Because they are all Premiership teams and the league is of a higher standard. That is obvious. It is nothing to do with it being Cardiff. He is an unproven striker at the top table with months left on his contract.

That said, I REALLY hope he proves his worth with us, not against us.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:21 am

Yes I know its Not just cos its Cardiff, But Bpool has the same problem with Adams cos hes with them other clubs want him for 4/5mil. Its the same thing if it was Everton or A Villa he was with he would be worth 15/20mil but cos it Bpool other teams think they should get him cheaper. Its the player there buying not the club so they should pay what a player is worth.
But to be honest I dont agree with all this 25mil and players on 90k a week. cos in the end it will keep the likes of you and me and other working people that cant afford to pay big ticket prices out of the game. Also we will see more clubs go bankrupt,
All cos of the greed of ther players.

Its like Gas for the car, the goverment put the price up till the guy in the street cant pay any more.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:10 pm

seems pointless for jay to go now.
if he stays with us we either go up and he decides to stay and gets a big fat contract or he can sign for another prem club with no fee and big fat contract. Or we dont go up and then i'm sure he'll move anyway with no fee and big fat contract.
Nice place to be. Not really worth him signing for brum, west ham or fulham though as we could potentially swap places. Sunderland or Newcastle maybe but thats a long way back to the smoke! If he is finally settled somewhere, maybe he should repay the faith we had in him a few years ago revitalising his career so to speak. Not sure if this happens in modern day football mind! :roll:

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:17 pm

welshcitydragon wrote:Yes I know its Not just cos its Cardiff, But Bpool has the same problem with Adams cos hes with them other clubs want him for 4/5mil. Its the same thing if it was Everton or A Villa he was with he would be worth 15/20mil but cos it Bpool other teams think they should get him cheaper. Its the player there buying not the club so they should pay what a player is worth.

They have the same problem due to him being out of contract in summer... nothing to do with Everton or Villa. I mean, if it was, then perhaps you can explain why Pienaar went to Spurs from EVERTON for a pittance for an established Prem player?