Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

ADAM MATTHEWS LATEST

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:41 am

I have just had a conversation with a source who has close links to Glasgow Celtic and he has passed on to me the following information.

The deal to take Adam to Celtic has been held up by 2 issues, the first was the amount paid to City but that seems to have been resolved and the second was the sell on clause, apparently city wanted 50% sell on fee which Celtic refused, now City have accepted a lower sell on fee provided they receive the full transfer fee up front.

Throughout his time at City Adam has remained professional and has worked hard to be in and around the team. If the deal happens, which I believe will, then I wish Adam a good future and hope to see him in the red of Wales soon.

Re: ADAM MATTHEWS LATEST

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:43 am

Any chance of a replacement for Adam Matthews? We definatley need cover in the full back area.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:43 am

thx Carlos, glad to hear city getting as high a sell on clause as possible :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:46 am

If we are asking for a 50% sell on clause, then that says to me - we know the lad is going to make it.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:50 am

will we get a replacment then carl? and how many players do you think we will bring in? :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:50 am

he should walk straight into the Celtic 1st team .............. they got a League Cup semi final match on the weekend but dont know if any cup ties from England will count against him ?

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:04 pm

weird, asking for a sell on basically means the selling club know he's going to be worth something in the future or has potential to be. If so, why is Jones selling him? ?? Only clubs that are forced to sell do this otherwise, we are not being forced so why let him go? odd :o

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:05 pm

carlccfc wrote:I have just had a conversation with a source who has close links to Glasgow Celtic and he has passed on to me the following information.

The deal to take Adam to Celtic has been held up by 2 issues, the first was the amount paid to City but that seems to have been resolved and the second was the sell on clause, apparently city wanted 50% sell on fee which Celtic refused, now City have accepted a lower sell on fee provided they receive the full transfer fee up front.

Throughout his time at City Adam has remained professional and has worked hard to be in and around the team. If the deal happens, which I believe will, then I wish Adam a good future and hope to see him in the red of Wales soon.

Well said Carl :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:06 pm

goats wrote:weird, asking for a sell on basically means the selling club know he's going to be worth something in the future or has potential to be. If so, why is Jones selling him? ?? Only clubs that are forced to sell do this otherwise, we are not being forced so why let him go? odd :o

he's out of contract in the summer so then he could just do what Ledley did , its a good move by DJ :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:30 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:
goats wrote:weird, asking for a sell on basically means the selling club know he's going to be worth something in the future or has potential to be. If so, why is Jones selling him? ?? Only clubs that are forced to sell do this otherwise, we are not being forced so why let him go? odd :o

he's out of contract in the summer so then he could just do what Ledley did , its a good move by DJ :ayatollah:

No, he can't do what Ledley did.

We'd be eligible for training compensation due to his age.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Not if he goes to Scotland, I'm led to believe.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:48 pm

I never seen a move to the SPL as an ambtious, its merely for finacial needs. However football is a short career and its the nature of the beast I suppose, I wish him well and hope we see him in a Wales shirt soon :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:53 pm

talking of SPL ............... anybody heared how Josh Magennis is doing at Aberdeen ? :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:57 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Not if he goes to Scotland, I'm led to believe.

Scotland would be classed as an International transfer , its true. But there would still be compensation I believe as AM would still be under the age limit set for foreign transfers.

The problem with Ledley I recall was that he was under the age limit forompensation re a transfer to an English club but above that for a foreign transfer.

Keith

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:00 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Not if he goes to Scotland, I'm led to believe.

Yes, Gwyn.

There are two levels of payment - one a "transfer fee" if under a certain age, between clubs in same nation - for those purposes, England/Wales count similarly as clubs in same league structure. That was the reason we couldn't get a "fee" for Ledley from Celtic.

There's a secondary level of compensation that could be obtained, however - a much smaller value which represents purely the time, resources pumped into developing the player, which doesn't take into account player value. That applies across all nations up to age 24 - which is why Celtic and Ledley "delayed" the official signing to make sure it was no longer applicable.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:03 pm

why are we selling him :(

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:04 pm

I'll be gutted to see Adam leave. I feel he's been completely mis-used and underrated by the management. I can't believe that we haven't tried to mould him more into an attacking midfield player. It's as if the staff went 'he's not doing well at right back so f**k him'. There was no 'he's got something so let's try him elsewhere'. This resoluton has really disappointed me if I'm honest and the biggest piss take is that he's off the Scotland to rot (no offence PtB!). What a waste of Welsh talent.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:06 pm

Zabier wrote:I'll be gutted to see Adam leave. I feel he's been completely mis-used and underrated by the management. I can't believe that we haven't tried to mould him more into an attacking midfield player. It's as if the staff went 'he's not doing well at right back so f**k him'. There was no 'he's got something so let's try him elsewhere'. This resoluton has really disappointed me if I'm honest and the biggest piss take is that he's off the Scotland to rot (no offence PtB!). What a waste of Welsh talent.

Just about sums it up - exactly as I see it as well.

Another one of our academy boys who will make the grade has been let go.

Celtic :o

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:26 pm

I honestly cnt see why we are selling him, the boys 18 for gods sake got his whole career ahead of him and we are letting him leave. Ok the boy messed up against ipswich but thats all part of the learning curve...he aint had a look-in since then...every player makes mistakes and i think jonsey has held it against him

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:44 pm

If his sale means that we could shore up our defence while keeping our top starters, it will strengthen our promotion push.
Since he will go relatively cheaply in the summer anyway...I see this as good business.
This season is shit or bust for us and Adam isn't going to help us this season.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:48 pm

cheers carl

any ideas on what sell on fee city have agreed on? :D :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:04 pm

Im glad hes going, rather then stay at City and waste away, atleast hes going to get more games. Sucks that it won'bt with Cardiff, but if DJ dont like you, you dont play.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:06 pm

Why cant people understand, we have no choice but to sell him as he is out of contract in the summer and wants to leave, otherwise he would have signed new contract, this is his choice not DJ's!

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:11 pm

IsThatUJohnWayne wrote:Why cant people understand, we have no choice but to sell him as he is out of contract in the summer and wants to leave, otherwise he would have signed new contract, this is his choice not DJ's!

Agreed, but the question is *why* he wants to leave. It may be his choice to leave, but if DJ engendered a situation where Matthews felt he has to leave... then that's DJ's fault.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:15 pm

nerd wrote:
IsThatUJohnWayne wrote:Why cant people understand, we have no choice but to sell him as he is out of contract in the summer and wants to leave, otherwise he would have signed new contract, this is his choice not DJ's!

Agreed, but the question is *why* he wants to leave. It may be his choice to leave, but if DJ engendered a situation where Matthews felt he has to leave... then that's DJ's fault.

In all fairness though Nerd, he isn't going to get in the team this season for the big push and that must be something that pisses him off.
Saying that, it was terrible the way he was singled out after a poor performance while other players who have under performed have been left Scott free.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:18 pm

Wash DC Blue wrote:
nerd wrote:

In all fairness though Nerd, he isn't going to get in the team this season for the big push and that must be something that pisses him off.
Saying that, it was terrible the way he was singled out after a poor performance while other players who have under performed have been left Scott free.

Point being, DJ threw him uner the bus inthe media. Not oing to make players happy. The delay in offering a new contract would've played a part.

Equally, young lad, he'll make mistakes. You can train, but you need game time to really learn and develop.

DJ cancelled the reserve league entry, so Matthews et al can't even have regular reserve games. How then can he develop and improve?

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:19 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:he should walk straight into the Celtic 1st team .............. they got a League Cup semi final match on the weekend but dont know if any cup ties from England will count against him ?

Doesn't matter, Aberdeen will beat them anyway!

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:27 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:he should walk straight into the Celtic 1st team .............. they got a League Cup semi final match on the weekend but dont know if any cup ties from England will count against him ?

Why would they?

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Wash DC Blue wrote:If his sale means that we could shore up our defence while keeping our top starters, it will strengthen our promotion push.
Since he will go relatively cheaply in the summer anyway...I see this as good business.
This season is shit or bust for us and Adam isn't going to help us this season.

Who said he would not have signed a new contract in the summer?

He's only a kid ffs. How do you know how we would develop with some proper man management skills?

City should do all they can to keep hold of their academy talent. It should not be about business.

If Jones fails (again) this season then our new manager may be able to get the best out of him.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:23 pm

500k for a non-first team regular Championship player is good business IMHO. A decent sell on clause because he MIGHT be the next Gareth Bale is also fair. We don't need him at the moment. He obviously thinks he is worth
more than the club are willing to pay him, so its goodbye and good luck to you Adam.