Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" MATTHEWS TO CELTIC - LATEST "

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:18 pm

As posted last week, Celtic put a 500k bid in for Adam Matthews. with the possibility of a player coming the other way to us. The club approached 'Loovens' who said he didnt want to join us.
Since then Cardiff city have demanded a 50% sell on clause as part of the deal.
Im told that Celtic have now told the club, that they are not happy about the clauses involved, and will wait untill the end of the seaon and get Adam for free with no clauses.
There is still a slim possibility the deal could still be done in January but the ball is now firmly in Cardiff court as Matthews will be a free man come the summer(City will receive hardly anything).

Re: MATTHEWS TO CELTIC - LATEST

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:22 pm

in future milly,i hope gethin jenkings sort contracts out with 18 months left!therefore we wont be in this position each time.personally i think they could have treated young adam a bit better

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:25 pm

I was told adam told celtic to wait till the summer so he can leave all ties with cardiff in the past

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:33 pm

boxerbob wrote:in future milly,i hope gethin jenkings sort contracts out with 18 months left!therefore we wont be in this position each time.personally i think they could have treated young adam a bit better

i agree, celtic did the same regarding ledley :twisted:

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:43 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Matthews has the same agent as Joe, the big Celtic joe

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:44 pm

Ben wrote:I was told adam told celtic to wait till the summer so he can leave all ties with cardiff in the past

then he's a traitor prick like Ledley.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:51 pm

RichardBluebird wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Matthews has the same agent as Joe, a big Celtic man

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:52 pm

RichardBluebird wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Matthews has the same agent as Joe, the big Celtic joe

He does have the same agent and Wilding has.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:53 pm

CF14-SE14 wrote:
Ben wrote:I was told adam told celtic to wait till the summer so he can leave all ties with cardiff in the past

Immature, maybe, but traitor?

IF true he was due a new contract after 25 league games, well, that date passed a looooong time ago. Yet a contract was only offered recently.

I'd say his response was immature more than anything else, the club have to accept some responsibility for him leaving - contract delay, Jones publicly blaming him, lack of games with no reserve side...

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:54 pm

nerd wrote:
CF14-SE14 wrote:

IF true he was due a new contract after 25 league games, well, that date passed a looooong time ago. Yet a contract was only offered recently.

I'd say his response was immature more than anything else, the club have to accept some responsibility for him leaving - contract delay, Jones publicly blaming him, lack of games with no reserve side...

Nerd, I blame the Club on this not the players. :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:58 pm

Celtic wouldnt be able to get him for free, it would go to a tribunal to establish what they would pay due to Matthews' age.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:01 pm

nerd wrote:
CF14-SE14 wrote:

Yeah fair enough, I blame the club more, but saying that kind of snide shit to Celtic so that Cardiff City and it's fans lose out financially, to me that's a traitor move. But I do agree that he has been treated shabbily by Cardiff's management, but that's no excuse to stab the fans that have supported him in the back.

Stavross wrote:Celtic wouldnt be able to get him for free, it would go to a tribunal to establish what they would pay due to Matthews' age.

It would be peanuts and a lot less than Ledley, Matthews was on peanut wages at the City.

Nerd, I blame the Club on this not the players. :ayatollah:[/quote]

Annis, how can you blame the club if a player does not want to sign a contract?

Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Karloff wrote:Nerd, I blame the Club on this not the players. :ayatollah:

Annis, how can you blame the club if a player does not want to sign a contract?[/quote]

Because, we should of offered these players proper contracts a long time ago, not near the end of their existing ones. And when we do, we offer peanuts, we've done it for years, we offer local talent peanuts.

Re: " MATTHEWS TO CELTIC - LATEST "

Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:08 pm

milly44 wrote:As posted last week, Celtic put a 500k bid in for Adam Matthews. with the possibility of a player coming the other way to us. The club approached 'Loovens' who said he didnt want to join us.
Since then Cardiff city have demanded a 50% sell on clause as part of the deal.
Im told that Celtic have now told the club, that they are not happy about the clauses involved, and will wait untill the end of the seaon and get Adam for free with no clauses.
There is still a slim possibility the deal could still be done in January but the ball is now firmly in Cardiff court as Matthews will be a free man come the summer(City will receive hardly anything).

I think Celtic will be shocked. A tribunal would sit due to his age and it is likely the tribunal would put a sell on clause on.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Stavross wrote:Celtic wouldnt be able to get him for free, it would go to a tribunal to establish what they would pay due to Matthews' age.

That's only domestic transfers, from memory ( for us, that would mean teams in English structure ). Tho I'm probably wrong.

We'd be eligible for training / developmental costs.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:18 pm

Our young talent is the life blood of the club if you have some thing special you take care of them and do your best for them.
If City can truly and I do mean truly ,say they have offerd him the best they can, but the player himself still wants out,then the player is not happy and will never play his best for the team it has to be best all round for them to move on.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:19 pm

CF14-SE14 wrote:

WTF are YOU on about??

Joe CHOSE to go to The League Of Two, even though he STATED he wanted Premiership football above all else....

Matthews has done little wrong....

Have you seen him spouting on about how he feels?? Erm, NO....

Have you seen him telling the club he'll 'wait and see' what comes along?? Erm, NO....

Have you seen Cardiff City offer him the contract he deserves AND was PROMISED after so many games?? Erm, NO....

To be fair, I think Adam has handled this whole affair with a certain dignity and he should be applauded for that....and I, for one, wish HIM all the very best if or when he leaves (although I'd still prefer he stays)

As for Ledley?? I've voiced my opinions on his conduct before, so best left alone....

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:20 pm

Celtic :evil:

Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:25 pm

Sven Ghali wrote:
CF14-SE14 wrote:

WTF are YOU on about??

Joe CHOSE to go to The League Of Two, even though he STATED he wanted Premiership football above all else....

Matthews has done little wrong....

Have you seen him spouting on about how he feels?? Erm, NO....

Have you seen him telling the club he'll 'wait and see' what comes along?? Erm, NO....

Have you seen Cardiff City offer him the contract he deserves AND was PROMISED after so many games?? Erm, NO....

To be fair, I think Adam has handled this whole affair with a certain dignity and he should be applauded for that....and I, for one, wish HIM all the very best if or when he leaves (although I'd still prefer he stays)

As for Ledley?? I've voiced my opinions on his conduct before, so best left alone....

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mate, calm the f**k down!

I've already posted another comment after that one basically saying I went too far. I was just pissed off that he's supposedly telling Celtic how to swindle us out of £500k.

I agree with most of what you say anyway, and I agree he's been treated like shit. No need to go all hyper on me!!!

Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:39 pm

nerd wrote:

That's only domestic transfers, from memory ( for us, that would mean teams in English structure ). Tho I'm probably wrong.

Your right it is classed as training costs. However if this is not agreed by the clubs the matter can be referred to Fifa's dispute resolution chamber similar to a tribunal that will agree on appropriate costs that should be awarded.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Stavross wrote:
nerd wrote:

Your right it is classed as training costs. However if this is not agreed by the clubs the matter can be referred to Fifa's dispute resolution chamber similar to a tribunal that will agree on appropriate costs that should be awarded.

Yeah, but it's a two tier level.

Training / developmental costs is the lower of the two tiers, reflecting the cost to us of developing the player, doesn't take into account potential, possible future values etc.

if it's that lower level amount we go for, even if FIFA did award it, it still wouldn't be a large amount, I'd say far less than 500k.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:57 pm

Stavross wrote:
nerd wrote:

That spot on but you should consider what the first requirement of the DRC is and that is to establish the contractual status of the player. In the case of Adam Matthews my understanding is that he was entitled to a new contract offer which was triggered by reaching an agreed number of 1st team games, did this happen?

I ask the question because it would bring into question one of the fundamental points the DRC will ask and how they see the answer will have a big effect on any training compensation. If having reached the trigger point in his contract why did the club not offer Adam a new and improved contract, if the club consider him such a prospect it is difficult to back that up by their actions. Adam hit the trigger point last season and he has had to wait until this season to get offered a new contract this IMO is another example of the mismanagement of player contracts at the club, and the people to blame are PR & DJ.

I still think we will get training compensation but it is likely to be less than 1 months salary for DJ. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:04 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Because, we should of offered these players proper contracts a long time ago, not near the end of their existing ones. And when we do, we offer peanuts, we've done it for years, we offer local talent peanuts.[/quote]

How can a club of our small size and stature afford to offer untested,unproven young players anything like we can offer talented, proven international players though Annis?

Until he proves he's worth more, I'm glad City are only paying Matthews "peanuts" (I wouldn't mind being on a footballer's version of peanuts wages). Have you forgotten what Sam and Liesdale did with our money??

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:11 pm

I think Matthews was always going to leave. He has never been given a chance by DJ.

Letting him go will probably turn out to be a big, big mistake. Adam, could develop into a very useful player in the next few years.

What really pisses my off is the way we treat our youngsters, it looks like another one will be leaving for nothing/peanuts.

Yet we offer average players like Naylor, Rae, Quinn and has beens like Fowler and Hasselbaink massive salaries.

Whats the point of an academy system, DJ and Jenkins need to get their act together.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:16 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
RichardBluebird wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Matthews has the same agent as Joe, the big Celtic joe

He does have the same agent and Wilding has.

Then you obviously know the Celtic link Annis :?

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:19 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Because, we should of offered these players proper contracts a long time ago, not near the end of their existing ones. And when we do, we offer peanuts, we've done it for years, we offer local talent peanuts.[/quote]

Exactly, Ridsdale fucked up both Joes and Adams contracts so much so that there was no room for negotiating on a later date.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:34 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

It would be peanuts and a lot less than Ledley, Matthews was on peanut wages at the City.

We did not get anything for ledley, or did we???????

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:38 pm

cityone wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

We did not get anything for ledley, or did we???????

No, we didn't get anything

He was past the age of 23 for compensation; deal with Celtic was delayed past the timeframe for us to be able to have received money for training / development, the second level of money we could claim.