Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: MATTHEWS TO CELTIC - LATEST

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:43 pm

It would be peanuts and a lot less than Ledley, Matthews was on peanut wages at the City.[/quote]

We did not get anything for ledley, or did we???????[/quote]

No, we didn't get anything

He was past the age of 23 for compensation; deal with Celtic was delayed past the timeframe for us to be able to have received money for training / development, the second level of money we could claim.[/quote]

That,s what i thought so why is annis saying "a lot less than ledley" for???

Re: " MATTHEWS TO CELTIC - LATEST "

Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:23 pm

How much should we pay our 3rd best right back (could even be 4th best as Quinn has improved recently)? £500 a week? More? Less? He's at least behind McNaughton and Blake

Adam may yet be a decent player, but at the moment he is a young squad player with plenty to learn and should be offered a contract accordingly. He (or his agent) obviously thinks he is worth more than the club values him. He had half a decent season more than a year ago - aren't we getting a bit carried away with his ability? He Might be the next Gareth Bale, but at the same age Gareth was an established first team regular at a Championship Club, not third choice.

I will be interested if he changes his mind about the lure of Celtic when we get promoted to the Premier League.

I have no knowledge of Adam personally, but I think he is being unduly influenced by outside factors here

Re: MATTHEWS TO CELTIC - LATEST

Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:28 pm

nerd wrote:Your right it is classed as training costs. However if this is not agreed by the clubs the matter can be referred to Fifa's dispute resolution chamber similar to a tribunal that will agree on appropriate costs that should be awarded.

Yeah, but it's a two tier level.

Training / developmental costs is the lower of the two tiers, reflecting the cost to us of developing the player, doesn't take into account potential, possible future values etc.

if it's that lower level amount we go for, even if FIFA did award it, it still wouldn't be a large amount, I'd say far less than 500k.[/quote]

I'm pretty certain that the fact they bid £500k will come into it, as it shows a clear indication of what the buying club think he's worth.

This happened before but I can't remember which player it involved but it ended with the selling club(as they would have been) getting a bigger fee than anyone thought they would.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:07 pm

Sorry lads but this is f*cking ridiculous. Adam Matthews is NOT
liked by the manager, he has NOT improved because he's not had
a chance to improve. Koumas was brought off the bench week after
week after week before Matthews. If he's EVER going to become a
good player... it wont be here. He may not turn out to be the new
Gareth Bale, but at Celtic he may just get a chance, and not as a
last minute cos we're desperate full-back

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:30 pm

taffyapple wrote:Sorry lads but this is f*cking ridiculous. Adam Matthews is NOT
liked by the manager, he has NOT improved because he's not had
a chance to improve. Koumas was brought off the bench week after
week after week before Matthews. If he's EVER going to become a
good player... it wont be here. He may not turn out to be the new
Gareth Bale, but at Celtic he may just get a chance, and not as a
last minute cos we're desperate full-back

Well said, my sentiments exactly. :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:03 am

The problem is due to Ridsdales mismanagement when it came to negotiating new contracts for Ledley, Bothroyd and Matthews we didn't have a pot to piss in and there wasn't much the Club could do, however if we get to the Premiership this year will Matthews still be so keen to piss off to Celtic :?: :roll: