Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Whats Your Definition of SUPPORTING a Team?

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:01 pm

I remember speaking to a guy about football and he said he was a Spurs supporter and always has been, so i said, "How often do you go and watch them then". He replied, " oh ive never been to watch them".

I also know people who SUPPORT Cardiff but very rarely go to games if ever.

So to me that is not supporting your team its just liking a particular football side, support to me is when you yourself put money into the club by going to watch games wether its home or away.

Do you agree?

Re: Whats Your Definition of SUPPORTING a Team?

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:04 pm

Nobby, I agree, in principle, with you on this.

Though there are many out there these days who cannot afford to follow City - at £24 a ticket not all can afford that in these austere times.

There's also the sick and infirm out there that love the City but can't get to games

They are no lesser supporters in my opinion

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:06 pm

lot's of people i have known over the years are city fans but played on saturday afternoons so hardly turn up to games . lot's of reasons why people don't turn up week in week out and our database is testiment to that

television has sanitised the game as a sporting event these days .

this question has raised it's ugly head more than once on here and it;s impossible to answer .

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:08 pm

croesybluebird wrote:Nobby, I agree, in principle, with you on this.

Though there are many out there these days who cannot afford to follow City - at £24 a ticket not all can afford that in these austere times.

There's also the sick and infirm out there that love the City but can't get to games

They are no lesser supporters in my opinion

Im only talking about fans who have NEVER been or only been on a few occasions, but when it comes to banter etc they think they are full on supporters, gets on my nerves to be honest.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:09 pm

nobby wrote:I remember speaking to a guy about football and he said he was a Spurs supporter and always has been, so i said, "How often do you go and watch them then". He replied, " oh ive never been to watch them".

So to me that is not supporting your team its just liking a particular football side, support to me is when you yourself put money into the club by going to watch games wether its home or away.

Do you agree?

If he just "wants them to win" he ain't a supporter.

If he buys shirts etc from the club shop/high street, he supports the club.

If he buys tickets for the matches and attends then he supports the team and club.

That's how I see it anyway. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:10 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:lot's of people i have known over the years are city fans but played on saturday afternoons so hardly turn up to games . lot's of reasons why people don't turn up week in week out and our database is testiment to that

television has sanitised the game as a sporting event these days .

this question has raised it's ugly head more than once on here and it;s impossible to answer .

Its the fans that have never or have only been to a handful of games im talking about, i know a hell of a lot of City fans who used to go regular but cannot go now for various reasons which is understandable.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:29 pm

I play football every saturday ko at 2pm so cant go as regular as i could few years back wen i was a season ticket holder. I bought an away travel card hoping to a few midweek aways and aways near xmas and end of season.

But due to an injury forcing me to have an operation keeping me out for 9 months iv been able to do 7 aways and 5 home whilst also watchin some of my teams games which iv been lucky enough to do

but yea some people cant afford it or travellin may be an issue
some of our supporters live in different countries but i think they are still supporters where most support the big 4/5 they support cardiff for the love of the club
so its hard to put a definition of it

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:39 pm

somebody that cares whats going on,there is a million reasons why people cant make the games :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:15 pm

i support Cardiff and only Cardiff but haven't been to a game at home since they moved to CCS. Not because of the move to the new stadium (although its not as much of a draw as Ninian) but because I'm more I've got other things going on of a weekend, spending time with my son who's not interested in football yet but is about the age when I will start to take him.
I don't think that makes me any less of a fan as I'm sure there will come a time when I go religously again, just not at the moment.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:52 pm

porthcawlcasual wrote:i support Cardiff and only Cardiff but haven't been to a game at home since they moved to CCS. Not because of the move to the new stadium (although its not as much of a draw as Ninian) but because I'm more I've got other things going on of a weekend, spending time with my son who's not interested in football yet but is about the age when I will start to take him.
I don't think that makes me any less of a fan as I'm sure there will come a time when I go religously again, just not at the moment.

well said mate :D
theres thousands of reasons why fans cant go watch games live at ccs but theyre just as much of a fan as the fans who go to games imo :D :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:25 pm

i dont agree with you nobby as others of said there are plenty of reasons for and against.I my self have been to ninian park lots of times and my 2 eldest daughters have been also but i am yet to go to the ccs as i am now living in australia but i still buy all mine and my childrens home and away kit from the club shop every year and the rest of the little bits and bobs to boot.
imo a football fan can be anybody following that team and even just looking out for the results and catching the odd game on tv im sure at some stage they would make it to a live game and the more fans for cardiff the better :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:45 am

nobby wrote:I remember speaking to a guy about football and he said he was a Spurs supporter and always has been, so i said, "How often do you go and watch them then". He replied, " oh ive never been to watch them".

Do you agree?

If you don't go/have never been you CANNOT class yourself as a SUPPORTER....

A FAN maybe....but defo NOT a supporter

Look the word up in the dictionary and you will find it says you have to 'give' something to SUPPPORT, i.e. money, assistance, time, effort, tears, etc....

A FAN is full of wind and sits at home in front of the TV CLAIMING to SUPPORT the in-team of the moment, such as ManUre or Chelski or Arsene-nil or Harry's Hotspurs, etc....

A SUPPORTER gets off his/her arse as often as they can to get down to the stadium, pay their money and get behind their team in real time!!!!

:lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah:
:ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol:

Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:18 am

To me a fan is someone who looks out for results

A supporter is someone supporting the team in the stadium