Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Calzaghe v Lacey

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:17 pm

Watching it now..AMAZING. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Calzaghe v Lacey

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:44 pm

His best performance in my opinion, as a matter of interest what year was that fight. :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:02 pm

blue nile wrote:His best performance in my opinion, as a matter of interest what year was that fight. :ayatollah:

Think it was 2008 mate, watching it on you tube. What a fight :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:03 pm

It's wasn't 2008, about 06-07 I reckon, best fight I've seen from the welshman

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:15 pm

That had to be Joe's finest performance in the ring. Completely destroyed the next big thing out of America.

By the way the fight was on 04 Mar 2006

:ayatollah:

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:32 pm

Marc wrote:
blue nile wrote:His best performance in my opinion, as a matter of interest what year was that fight. :ayatollah:

Think it was 2008 mate, watching it on you tube. What a fight :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

great fight :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Lacey should have been pulled out of that one.He could have been killed.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:48 pm

KyleV wrote:That had to be Joe's finest performance in the ring. Completely destroyed the next big thing out of America.

Nearly 5 years ago, :o whatever happend to lacey, as you say he was the next big thing to come out of America, seemed to dissappear alltogether after that fight :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:17 pm

I said it then and I'll say it now.
Joes best performance was against B'Hop.

He didn't look fantastic but was effective against a true ATG.
When you see Bernards performance against Pavlik and more recently against Pascal shows that he had plenty left in the tank when he fought Joe.

Add to that it was Joes first fight in The US and his first at 175.

It didn't look pretty but it was a great performance against a great (and dirty) fighter.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:21 pm

blue nile wrote:
KyleV wrote:That had to be Joe's finest performance in the ring. Completely destroyed the next big thing out of America.

Nearly 5 years ago, :o whatever happend to lacey, as you say he was the next big thing to come out of America, seemed to dissappear alltogether after that fight :ayatollah:

After looking like a wrecking ball before the fight, Joe ruined him.
If his corner had have pulled him when they should have, he may have had a chance.
He got a rotator injury but he was also shot after that fight.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:29 pm

i got it on dvd. its great

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:40 pm

Will have to watch that fight again. One of the best masterclasses i had ever watched :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:42 pm

Wash DC Blue wrote:I said it then and I'll say it now.
Joes best performance was against B'Hop.

He didn't look fantastic but was effective against a true ATG.
When you see Bernards performance against Pavlik and more recently against Pascal shows that he had plenty left in the tank when he fought Joe.

Add to that it was Joes first fight in The US and his first at 175.

It didn't look pretty but it was a great performance against a great (and dirty) fighter.

Thats a good call mate!!

Joe was awesome against Lacy, but was in a different class (it was our first glimpse of
how good he really was)

Against Kessler he dug deep, but proved too good for the feller once he stepped the pace up.

Hopkins, like you say, was no shot fighter. He hurt Joe, Joe found the extra power and weight
hard to come to terms with. But no matter what anyone says.. he is the most resilient fighter
of the last 20/30 years.. he didnt know how to quit... and Hopkins was hanging on for dear life
in those last four/five rounds. A British ref would have disqualified the '"Ghetto giant I hate
white people" muthafucka for his cheating