Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Atmosphere, Stereotype and the Club

Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:00 pm

The atmosphere debate amongst us City fans has never been so prominent as since our move to CCS, with many of us still craving one last visit to the Grange end or Bob Bank etc in Ninian to try an rekindle the type of match day experience and atmosphere we all know we're capable of.

There have been countless posts from the more frustrated element of us all (myself included) simply venting that frustration within the confines of this forum in order to try and coordinate an attempt en masse to transform the atmosphere at CCS back to the rowdy and loud 12th man effect we've been accustomed to over the years, afraid in thinking our reputation amongst other clubs for being that 12th man is slowly being strangled to death by the clubs approach to stewardship in certain areas and the grounds layout.

Stereotypes, in truth are only developed into stereotypes because they are derived from an element of fact, only the extent of the fact is debatable. In our case the stereotype of the Cardiff City fan is that of a fella who gets wrecked up on match day looking for trouble, who will take that attitude to the stands and feed a quality atmosphere. There are arguments for and against whether this is indeed correct or whether its an aspect of our club we should consciously distant ourselves from.

i am in the corner for maintaining exactly that type of fan and keeping it alive leading into a new era of football that involves an ever increasing prawn sandwich brigade, and also for our club, as we are seemingly on track to next season play on the biggest stage of all in terms of world domestic football.

I am not saying I condone violence, far from it...however we do have a role to play when we go on the road and when teams visit us. Opposition fans need to know that they cant just come down here or meet us when we go away and take liberties, simple as. A prime example of this was Stoke away this season.

I was in the Power League pub the Police directed us towards, with a few of the boys before the game. The same pub a few families and women were in also, when a gang of Stoke lads came in and made it quite clear from the moment they went to the bar they wanted a ruck - alot more of City could of got hurt if the Cardiff boys around them by the bar didnt wade in because there were hardly any old bill in there at first and the Stoke boys were just going through people irrelevant of who they were (even Vinces daughter got abused I believe).

That is a prime example of how a proportion of our fans defended our corner without inciting any violence beforehand - we were just purely having a good sing and a chant. All the boys who defended us as a group of supporters that day are indicative imo of the 'type' of fan that will then generate the atmosphere in our stadium - full of passion and willing to stand up for the cause...not just happy to sit down and watch whatever happen and pass them by.

The fear for most of us though is that too many clubs around the country (including ours), the FA and the authorities are trying to supress the passion shown on match day in the stands by almost treating them those fans children and informing them when they have to sit down etc. I am now pleased to learn via Annis' updates that the club do intend to maintain an area in our stadium that accomodates fans like us, and provide an area where we can fully display the pride and passion we have for our club in the manner which we want to - obviously acting within the parameters of the law.

I mentioned stereotype previously, and lets face it most of us come from areas that are far from upper class and posh, I'm from Caerphilly and we dont mess about up here, same with the Ponty, Rhondda, Ely, Llanrumney, Merthyr, Aberdare boys etc etc the list goes on - South Wales, Cardiff and the Valleys bring up certain types of lads and we need a stadium (or at least part of one) that harnesses the type of supporter that will enter it and is a reflection of the surrounding areas - whilst obviously ensuring safety for all.

The type of match day experience we want and are familiar with gives the club and our perception real identity, sturs excitement and provokes a real interest from the television media when deciding what games they wish to air. We've proven in the past we can conduct our passion safely, abiding to the law, however its an attribute our club can benefit hugely from in terms of potential future investment if we do achieve promotion as it set us apart from some of the more mundane corners of the football community.

I think we can count ourselves pretty lucky that Gethin Jenkins appears to be playing ball on this issue, as there are countless groups of fans around the UK that have not been so lucky with how their club has managed them. Going back to the Stoke game I heard the fella on their tannoy request at least on 3 occasions for home supporters to sit down - I've never heard Ali say that.

In conclusion, my opinion is that we embrace Gethin Jenkins' feelings that all the singers and those who wish to 'stand' go to the Canton end and leave the Ninian stand for those who wish to have a more civilised afternoon...the days of proper banter with the away fans are gone imo and thats why I renewed my season ticket in the Canton when the stadium was built.

Here to get that atmosphere going and smashing it...starting with the Royals on Tuesday!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Atmosphere, Stereotype and the Club

Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:12 pm

I think Gethin Jenkins should pop up to the Cross in Llanrumney and
try getting everyone to sit down there, the Rugby, middle class prick.

The "Lets stop singing songs aimed at the away support comment" finished
it for me. He's certainly not clueless, knows exactly what he's doing.. I jus
hope the Canton kicks off big time next season and his 'prawn sandwich'
brigade are left cringing when they get abused every home game by the
standing swearing abusive away fans. Its Football. Jenkins has f**k all in
common with us

Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:20 pm

taffyapple wrote:I think Gethin Jenkins should pop up to the Cross in Llanrumney and

common with us

Bang in mate...which is why i was all the more surprised to hear of his stance after the meets with Annis. Annis already acknowledged on here hes obv aware he has his reasons for appearing to comply with our concerns/ requests as hea obv quite eager to get the 'standers' out of the Ninian into one area. As long as he doesnt go back on the allowances the club is setting for the Canton end we shouldnt have too much of a problem in future i reckon

Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:24 pm

JonScam wrote:
taffyapple wrote:I think Gethin Jenkins should pop up to the Cross in Llanrumney and

common with us

Bang in mate...which is why i was all the more surprised to hear of his stance after the meets with Annis. Annis already acknowledged on here hes obv aware he has his reasons for appearing to comply with our concerns/ requests as hea obv quite eager to get the 'standers' out of the Ninian into one area. As long as he doesnt go back on the allowances the club is setting for the Canton end we shouldnt have too much of a problem in future i reckon

Once we have a whole area where like minded people watch the game I think the Stewards
are fucked, so is Jenkins. This forum alone has enough weight to get EVERYONE to walk out
if they start coming the heavy shite in there. The Malaysians would flip seeing a whole end
empty with half an hour to go in a game, particularly as arrests and trouble would be pretty
much zero so far away from the away lot

Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:39 pm

JonScam wrote:

common with us

In fairness, whether it is Gethin Jenkins or anyone else is irrelevant. There are reasons why football has moved towards all seater stadiums. He is not the club but I assure you the view would be the same whoever was in his position.

As for Llanrumney and the Cross, is there a rule in there you have to sit down? I would imagine you are going to abide by whatever rules are laid down by the landlord. It is no different down the CCS.

There is a more relaxed view to standing in the Canton as was advised when the CCS opened. Annis and others are doing all they can to create a section where all the singers can group together. The fact Gethin Jenkins is prepared to do this he should be given credit for. He could have just said no.