Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FA Cup not important anymore?

Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:52 pm

With Us, QPR, Norwich, Jacks, Leeds, Watford and Forest all out of the cup, does anyone else see this as further proof that the cup doesn't matter anymore?

I know the premier league is the 'promised land' and I am not disappointed to be out of the cup. I just think it's a huge shame. I'm (easily!) old enough to remember the FA cupbeing massive-specially for clubs outside the top flight. It doesn't seem to matter much to any club until they get to the last 8 or so!!

Great shame I think! :old:

Re: FA Cup not important anymore?

Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:58 pm

its important for some clubs,, but for us this season, im glad we are out of it, say, against stoke we had 4 of our good players injured , and out for weeks, even the rest of the season, its bad buisness to play your best team in the fa cup. for some teams, ,, going up to the prem, worth an estimated 100 million,, winning the fa cup 1 million :roll:

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:11 pm

ninianblue wrote:its important for some clubs,, but for us this season, im glad we are out of it, say, against stoke we had 4 of our good players injured , and out for weeks, even the rest of the season, its bad buisness to play your best team in the fa cup. for some teams, ,, going up to the prem, worth an estimated 100 million,, winning the fa cup 1 million :roll:

I know what you are saying-I agree! It a shame though, seems the money balance is wrong to me. Maybe they should switch some league prize money in to the cup. If, say, the quarter finalists onwards got decent money then clubs may start taking it more seriously.

It used to be the best cup competition in the world, now it's just one of many! :(

Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:31 pm

It used to be a great contest but ever since Man U pulled out to play a meaningless game on the other side of the world & the big teams playing second string sides it's taken the gloss off it.You can't take it serious when you wonder if teams actually want to play in it.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:41 am

My solution to stop big clubs playing 2nd string teams,

The FA Cup winners should have a champions league place instead of the 4th placed league team

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:42 am

BEEP AHM wrote:My solution to stop big clubs playing 2nd string teams,

The FA Cup winners should have a champions league place instead of the 4th placed league team

this ^^ :ayatollah: