Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: LAST NIGHTS CANTON STAND MEETING

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:09 pm

"The concourse facilities can be more geared up to the selected audience an possibly things like live bands can be set up before the game in the concourse."

CAN WE GET THE SEX PISTOLS OR THE CLASH AS THE FIRST LIVE BAND. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:40 pm

All sounds good, shame about the Alan Tate thing tho, perhaps we could get special dispensation to stone him to death on Sunday.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:46 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:
baseboy007 wrote:Great news Gwyn, the only issue I have is the 'Canton Kop' being brandished around. I appreciate the idea is in its early stages and we MAY just be using that name for now, but we are not Liverpool, we are Cardiff....we are South Wales.

Cardiffian's Canton or something that unites the city and the valley together with a stirring name.

Cheers Dears. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Well i think the 'Kop' came out f the hill the Zulus massed on in Rourke's Drift'., so as we are the 'Men of harlech' what about Rourke's Drift ? Or something else based on the film ?

Kop comes from Spion Kop a mountain in South Africa, but I think it was a different battle to the one at Rourke's Drift. I actually like Canton Cage as suggested by Clive, but taking your suggestion we could go for Canton Drift :lol:

Well done to all those involved in this project and as long as you are happy with what the club have suggested then go for it. May be there could be a dry run at one of the home games before the end of this season, where everyone switches over to the Canton although that might be hard to arrange.

Yeah, I should have done my research Tony.

Different enemy, different battle, different war, only thing that was the same was the continent :lol:

Interesting story though.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Spion_Kop

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:19 pm

BigGwynram wrote:
since62 wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:Carl and myself attended on behalf of this forum and the travel club. I'm sure Carl will go into things in more detail later.

We both came away feeling quite excited, the Ground safety officer from I take it the Football League or SAG whatever it is turned out to be a refreshing surprise, the dozen or so I met from my Rams days were real jobs worth pen pushers, and whilst there are laws and guidelines we have to work under they can be interpreted and relaxed slightly and common sense can prevail.

This chap was more than happy to encourage and support the club in building the Canton kop, clubs that already work on these lines have seen an improvement in atmosphere and also the enjoyment of fans being grouped in like minded groups.

The mass scaremongering and complaints we were reading about on message boards as not materialised into firm actual complaints to the club, and the vision of 400 people on mass moving into an area already sold out and taking over existing season holders seats did bring a few smiles.

I think now as I did then it is simply a few negative internet stirrers who would find an objection to being offered a bundle of free twenty pound notes with no catches,Most people there could see no negatives and anyone with concerns or grievances can take them up directly through the correct channels.

It is going to be about choice, if you want to spend more time standing than sitting, then you go to the Canton, if you want to sit for the vast majority of the time you can relocate to the wing sections of the Canton or simply change stands, but why did you buy your original seat in an area that from the start was sold as a more relaxed section that would tolerate standing.

If and it's looking less likely by the minute (no its not, think positive fat boy) when we get promoted away fans will have to have 118.

Hopefully if sufficient fans leave 116 and 117 and come across to the Canton, then those in 118 who wish to stay there abouts can then take up the vacated seats in those sections.

Mind you I am sure the current situation in 116 and 117 regarding standing will be taken more severely and persistent standing will see people lose their season tickets and possibly be banned, so what atmosphere that is there now will be gradually changing. I'm sure there'll always be a good craic and noise in there, but it wont be done from a standing position for most of the time so be warned.
Some people reading this now will be saying (and don't shoot the messenger) f**k them I'll do what I want and they wont stop me, it is so easy to stop you simply by blocking your admission card. You may get told once or twice by a steward, if that don't do the job you'll be picked up by camera or seat number and your card blocked, so be warned.

Any way back to the good news as I see it. Loads of good ideas about ramping up the atmosphere in the Canton and the club are open to suggestions, they will have meetings and think tanks and listen to all suggestions, mind you my first one of allowing us to have life size figures of Alan tate that we could burn wasn't accepted as one of the better ones :lol: :lol:

Huge flags. light shows, even our own Mascot come mad man running up and down in front of the stand winding everyone up, or even a couple of drums at the back above the seats just getting things going etc. they will listen to anything that helps the enjoyment factor.

The concourse facilities can be more geared up to the selected audience an possibly things like live bands can be set up before the game in the concourse.

I can really see this area taking off, we have got some of the most passionate nutty fans in the country, the reason it so good on away game is partly due to us all being bunched up tightly together with mates we have known for years and having a laugh, its a bit easier to let your hair down amongst like minded souls and this could be a turning point in giving us a fortress mentality we so badly need.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

So can you now clarify for readers on here that the false rumours which were started about the Trust having complained about the proposals or being against them are just that - false and rumours?

Thanks

Keith

Keith, just for me to get this clear, you are asking me to clarify about some false rumours regarding the Trust, what am I supposed to clarify if they were not rumours started by me, surely if the rumours started by anyone, then you need to ask that person how they came about, it's not for me to clarify, all I can do is comment on how things went last night.

I think things started off when an e mail was sent out saying that some Trust members had objections or concerns, but other than that your asking the wrong person.

But what (or who) makes you think that such an E-mail ever existed?

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:42 pm

When we all bought our S/T's for the first season in the CCS we were all given a short briefing about the way the club were going to police things there.

It was said that the designated singing section would be the Canton End, standing in that section would be looked upon more favourably than in other parts of the ground. Standing in other area's would be unacceptable and a 3 strikes type system would be put in place, whereas persistent offenders (not my words) would be dealt with accordingly. So I find it strange that people insist on standing bearing in mind what the club had said, surely anyone intent on standing in areas other than the Canton are asking for problems.

It was great in Block A at Ninian, I was a Lower Grandstand supporter myself but wanted to stand and sing in the new ground so bought my ticket for the Canton as I didn't want the hassle of persistently being asked to sit if I bought a ticket for another area. Fans are now considering moving from Block 117 etc over to the Canton, maybe with forsight buying tickets for that area in the first place would've saved a lot of hassle and messing around moving seats.

Not trying to be a clever c**t just stating facts.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:47 pm

So can you now clarify for readers on here that the false rumours which were started about the Trust having complained about the proposals or being against them are just that - false and rumours?

Thanks

Keith[/quote]

Keith, just for me to get this clear, you are asking me to clarify about some false rumours regarding the Trust, what am I supposed to clarify if they were not rumours started by me, surely if the rumours started by anyone, then you need to ask that person how they came about, it's not for me to clarify, all I can do is comment on how things went last night.

I think things started off when an e mail was sent out saying that some Trust members had objections or concerns, but other than that your asking the wrong person.[/quote]

But what (or who) makes you think that such an E-mail ever existed?[/quote]

I would think it may be this one that was copied onto the e mail inviting participants to the meeting in question.

Sent: 29 January 2011 17:51
To: 'Tim Hartley'
Subject: Meeting Tue 5.30pm

Tim

We have had various discussions with supporters over improving atmosphere at the stadium (this has been subject to questions put by your members).

Growing momentum has been witnessed following a Gwyn Davies thread on the AA message board and as such Julian has been in discussion about accommodating more of our ‘ singing supporters’ in the Canton stand by transferring their STkt’s from 117/118 where some of their seats would be under threat of being lost due to potential increase in visitors quadrant.

This it is hoped will lead to a better atmosphere because upto now our singing section has been dis-jointed.

In addition problems we have with Standing in the Ninian Stand will be greatly reduced and made easier to enforce while in turn a further reduction in standing in the Ninian Stand will assist with the clubs aim of selling further towards the visitors quadrant.

To discuss this further we are having a travel club meeting 5.30pm on Tue prior to the Reading game and if your able to attend you and or another Trust member are welcome to attend.

Regards

Wayne

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:50 pm

BigGwynram wrote:So can you now clarify for readers on here that the false rumours which were started about the Trust having complained about the proposals or being against them are just that - false and rumours?

Thanks

Keith

I think things started off when an e mail was sent out saying that some Trust members had objections or concerns, but other than that your asking the wrong person.[/quote]

I would think it may be this one that was copied onto the e mail inviting participants to the meeting in question.

Tim

We have had various discussions with supporters over improving atmosphere at the stadium (this has been subject to questions put by your members).

Growing momentum has been witnessed following a Gwyn Davies thread on the AA message board and as such Julian has been in discussion about accommodating more of our ‘ singing supporters’ in the Canton stand by transferring their STkt’s from 117/118 where some of their seats would be under threat of being lost due to potential increase in visitors quadrant.

This it is hoped will lead to a better atmosphere because upto now our singing section has been dis-jointed.

In addition problems we have with Standing in the Ninian Stand will be greatly reduced and made easier to enforce while in turn a further reduction in standing in the Ninian Stand will assist with the clubs aim of selling further towards the visitors quadrant.

To discuss this further we are having a travel club meeting 5.30pm on Tue prior to the Reading game and if your able to attend you and or another Trust member are welcome to attend.

Regards

Wayne[/quote]

Hmm I wonder what Questions their members had, why would they want to question us trying to just make an Atmosphere and moving to empty seats ?

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:50 pm

CF64 BLUE wrote:When we all bought our S/T's for the first season in the CCS we were all given a short briefing about the way the club were going to police things there.

It was said that the designated singing section would be the Canton End, standing in that section would be looked upon more favourably than in other parts of the ground. Standing in other area's would be unacceptable and a 3 strikes type system would be put in place, whereas persistent offenders (not my words) would be dealt with accordingly. So I find it strange that people insist on standing bearing in mind what the club had said, surely anyone intent on standing in areas other than the Canton are asking for problems.

It was great in Block A at Ninian, I was a Lower Grandstand supporter myself but wanted to stand and sing in the new ground so bought my ticket for the Canton as I didn't want the hassle of persistently being asked to sit if I bought a ticket for another area. Fans are now considering moving from Block 117 etc over to the Canton, maybe with forsight buying tickets for that area in the first place would've saved a lot of hassle and messing around moving seats.

Totally agree with you, but I think lot's of fans were suspicous and wanted like for like meaning similar ground palcement with the same mates and doing the same things, but they have now seen that hasn't and ain't gonna happen, so this is a chance to re-organise, re-group and push on. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:26 pm

BigGwynram wrote:
CF64 BLUE wrote:When we all bought our S/T's for the first season in the CCS we were all given a short briefing about the way the club were going to police things there.

Totally agree with you, but I think lot's of fans were suspicous and wanted like for like meaning similar ground palcement with the same mates and doing the same things, but they have now seen that hasn't and ain't gonna happen, so this is a chance to re-organise, re-group and push on. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Yes I agree, Fans needed to feel for themselves :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:34 am

I sit in 115 in the Ninian and will not be moving coz Ive got a good seat and am happy where I am , BUT as for ramping up the atmosphere in the Canton then I wouldnt object to a drum etc being brought into the stadium however I dont think Jenkins and Nash would allow ANY type of instrument to be brought into the stands ! Not even Dai Hunt's imfamous horn :lol:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:17 am

Got a great idea to get everyone moving over from the Ninian to the Canton:------- Give Dai Hunt a seat in the middle of the Ninian and supply him with a megaphone, that should get the fuckers shifting over. :lol: :lol:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:25 am

BigGwynram wrote:Got a great idea to get everyone moving over from the Ninian to the Canton:------- Give Dai Hunt a seat in the middle of the Ninian and supply him with a megaphone, that should get the fuckers shifting over. :lol: :lol:

Noooooooooo :lol: :lol:

ps does he need a megaphone ? ;)

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:17 pm

He sounded like he had a megaphone on Tuesday night !

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:55 pm

BigGwynram wrote:So can you now clarify for readers on here that the false rumours which were started about the Trust having complained about the proposals or being against them are just that - false and rumours?

Thanks

Keith

Tim

Regards

Wayne[/quote]

Thanks Gwyn.

So this E-mail was just an invite to attend a meeting called by the club in the same vein as an invite was sent to several other people.

Not an E-mail from the Trust asking for such a meeting or one where the Trust has raised any objections at all to a proposed seat move in the stadium at all then (as it happens , every Trust board member I have spoken to over the last couple of days thinks a move from blocks 117/118 to the Canton for fans who want to stand is a good idea) , despite previous claims on here that this was the case.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:19 pm

MalagaCF wrote:"The concourse facilities can be more geared up to the selected audience an possibly things like live bands can be set up before the game in the concourse."

CAN WE GET THE SEX PISTOLS OR THE CLASH AS THE FIRST LIVE BAND. :lol: :lol: :lol:

that be good so when I leave my seat early just before the end of the game I can be suitably entertained :lol:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:11 pm

since62 wrote:

Thanks

Keith

I think things started off when an e mail was sent out saying that some Trust members had objections or concerns, but other than that your asking the wrong person.

Tim

Regards

Wayne[/quote]

Thanks Gwyn.

So this E-mail was just an invite to attend a meeting called by the club in the same vein as an invite was sent to several other people.

Not an E-mail from the Trust asking for such a meeting or one where the Trust has raised any objections at all to a proposed seat move in the stadium at all then (as it happens , every Trust board member I have spoken to over the last couple of days thinks a move from blocks 117/118 to the Canton for fans who want to stand is a good idea) , despite previous claims on here that this was the case.[/quote]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel the highlighted sentence stating that some of the Trust members had raised questions about the move was seen as a negative by some people and unfortunately this in my opinion is one of the areas I feel the Trust needs to work on is the perception a lot of fans have of the Trust.

Due to its structure it has to be part of the establishment and a lot of fans will have a negative view of establishment, now this isn't how I see it but I'm saying how it is amongst many fans.

We know the train story incident and the Trusts reasons for not supporting the fans or making a statement in their defence to the press, also some fans would like some backing or support for events that happened at Chelsea and the lads who were arrested at Portsmouth simply for defending and retaliating against the thirty Pompey fans who badly beat up 3 City fans.

I understand better than most the awkward position the Trust are in, they cannot be seen to condone hooliganism or violence of any kind, but they can still make some sort of supportive statement if only with the aim of damage limitation.
I think actions such as that would help to endear the Trust to the vast majority of our fan base, but that's just my personal view of things, the direction the Trust takes is not for me to try and dictate and whilst I am a member I don't have to agree or disagree with everything they do.

It's a bit like being a labour voter in my eyes, just because you vote Labour it doesn't mean you agree with everything they say or that you want to stand for government yourself.
The majority of fans rightly or wrongly want to see the Trust backing them up against authority and establishment.

I have said from the beginning the club needs to have a supporters Trust in place, it may not be set up and run exactly as I would want it, but whatever you do wont please everyone or every matter, and who's to say my vision would be the correct one, the proof of the pudding is in the eating and I believe the Trust has membership in at least 300 or so households, then they must be doing something right.

Part of the problem is by being seen as an official part of the club set up, some people will see this as losing a bit of independence, how do you solve that, to be honest I don't know, perhaps others can help.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:35 pm

get ready for the media frenzy tomorrow. :old: