Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Posted in the wrong section-I am a forum novice

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:47 am

"Rome was not built in a day but Dave Jones was not manager on that job"
Sometimes those of us who are located far away can see things for what they are through a less emotional mist. Dave Jones is not perfect, nor would he claim to be but consider the following. He has for five years managed a club bereft of money, stuck with High Court judgements and spending more money on lawyers and accountants than on footballers, all the while, until lately with extremely shadowy management. A club that has sold its best players while "buying" or loaning players for little or no money. He has at the same time spotted enough talent to made an enormous profit for the club in the transfer market without which there would be no Cardiff City and you would all be Jack's supporters by now. Portsmouth and the rest bought and bought and lost fortunes on the transfer market. We failed by goal difference to reach the play off's two years ago, got to a Cup Final, Failed in a Wembley play-off last year and this through some sort of miracle after selling our best defender since Don Murray and Danny Malloy, the fantastic Roger Johnson, we have a squad that is again challenging for promotion. Sometimes the negativity that abounds in Wales is hard to take. Get a hero and as soon as possible tear them down should be the motto of the place. With the right support, energy and enthusiasm we can will the team to promotion this year. I do my damdest from seven thousand miles away to channel all I can with bits of sponsorship, advice and love. I have to wait until the game against Derby for my next home match and pray that we will be fighting for direct promotion this year.

All the best to the Bluebirds from Los Angeles
Mike Young

Re: Posted in the wrong section-I am a forum novice

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:52 am

bobbankusa wrote:"Rome was not built in a day but Dave Jones was not manager on that job"
Sometimes those of us who are located far away can see things for what they are through a less emotional mist. Dave Jones is not perfect, nor would he claim to be but consider the following. He has for five years managed a club bereft of money, stuck with High Court judgements and spending more money on lawyers and accountants than on footballers, all the while, until lately with extremely shadowy management. A club that has sold its best players while "buying" or loaning players for little or no money. He has at the same time spotted enough talent to made an enormous profit for the club in the transfer market without which there would be no Cardiff City and you would all be Jack's supporters by now. Portsmouth and the rest bought and bought and lost fortunes on the transfer market. We failed by goal difference to reach the play off's two years ago, got to a Cup Final, Failed in a Wembley play-off last year and this through some sort of miracle after selling our best defender since Don Murray and Danny Malloy, the fantastic Roger Johnson, we have a squad that is again challenging for promotion. Sometimes the negativity that abounds in Wales is hard to take. Get a hero and as soon as possible tear them down should be the motto of the place. With the right support, energy and enthusiasm we can will the team to promotion this year. I do my damdest from seven thousand miles away to channel all I can with bits of sponsorship, advice and love. I have to wait until the game against Derby for my next home match and pray that we will be fighting for direct promotion this year.

All the best to the Bluebirds from Los Angeles
Mike Young

welcome to the board mate, and although im not a jones fan, everyone has there own opinions on him. hopefully your next trip after derby will be for a promotion party :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:58 am

3 times at wembley, not even man united have done that since 2009 :ayatollah:
lets get to the nitty and enjoy the ride, aprreciate some hopefully classy city displays lots of goals and chopra , bothroyd bellamy all on form !

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:38 am

Fingers crossed this year, and toes.

BTW, My favourite episode was the one where Bulk guessed ST's secret magic word. Quality!

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:14 am

Cheers for joining this Forum and Mike I respect your opinion and as you know I was there through everyone of those bad years, but that does not make Jones a Good manager, He has had spent more money on wages in the last 6 years than any other manager in living history at Cardiff. In my opinion he is a nearly man and his attitude and awful tactics are not my cup of tea. I could go on and on, but I just dont believe in him.
I really hope that he finally gets us there 6 years later, But I really cant see it, PLEASE I HOPE I AM WRONG.

I bet its sunny over there :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:24 am

Annis totally agree with you, we will not go up with Dave jones as manager, we are now 5th, we have the Jacks on Sunday which Jones seems to think is just another game, that means we wont win it. Sorry to be so negative, but we wont go up with Jones. :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:19 pm

When Bulk stole Superted's magic word he sneeked off to Preston, changed his name to Parkin, transferred to Cardiff and will get two goals against Swansea on Sunday. The game is live on US TV. I cannot wait.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Cheers for joining this Forum and Mike I respect your opinion and as you know I was there through everyone of those bad years, but that does not make Jones a Good manager, He has had spent more money on wages in the last 6 years than any other manager in living history at Cardiff. In my opinion he is a nearly man and his attitude and awful tactics are not my cup of tea. I could go on and on, but I just dont believe in him.
I really hope that he finally gets us there 6 years later, But I really cant see it, PLEASE I HOPE I AM WRONG.

I bet its sunny over there :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I have to disgaree with you this once because I feel really strongly about this, fair enough if Jones doesn't get us promoted this year then he has to go as this was his year when he's finally put together a proper squad which is capable of winning the division, but all i can do is judge him on what he's done so far for the club.

Yeah he makes some tactical blunders every now and then just like any manager does, not least in the first half against Reading with the team he played. Yeah he does not understand the importance of the derby to the Cardiff fans and that may have cost us in the past.

BUT, i honestly, genuinely, really believe he has done the best job possible for Cardiff since he's been at the club.

Of course he's spent more on wages... we're not in the lower divisions now, were in a division where wages are higher, if the next manager took us up and spent more wages than Jones cos we're in the Premier League, would that make him a bad manager? Also, wages are on average FAR higher these days than during any other manager's time so i'm sorry but i just dont feel that that's a valid point.
Has everyone forgotten about the amount of money he's brought in to this club either through our youth system (which granted is thanks to others than just Jones) or re-selling on his excellent signings such as Roger Johnson, Chopra (even though we bought him back) and i could go on naming more... cos he has been forced to sell his best players year upon year until recently.

His attitude aside sometimes, I just cannot understand the criticism of Dave Jones, but i do completely respect your opinion and much prefer to be able to debate it on a place like this, rather than the idiots who boo and hurl abuse at Naylor, for example, and like i'm sure they'd do to Jones if we went on a bad run.
If we don't go up this year though, which I still think we will, I will come back and admit I was wrong. But give the guy a chance.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:54 pm

As I've said before on this subject I honestly think that DJ is right when he talks about expectation levels here. Saying that though having high expectations is a Welsh thing and he should have grown used to that by now.

Added to that is the other great Welsh pastime - we love to moan. If we haven't got anything to whinge about then we'll find something. Where DJ comes unstuck is he has to comment on the moaners comments and then gets dragged in to it.

One thing I will say is he is very honest and to be fair is too honest for his own good. Paul Abbo is having a go at him over his previous comments regarding the Swansea derby and his "just another 3 points attitude". What DJ could have done is just played the media game and made lots of "this is the biggest game of the season" comments, but he didn't he just gave his honest opinion and told it as it was. These other managers that do play the media game, do you honestly think they mean what they say?

I think Dave Jones is an excellent manager but a very poor politician. Trouble is, in Wales you don't need to be good, you just need to be good at politics to survive. If DJ does eventually get forced out it won't be because of his managerial abilities, it will be because of his political abilities.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:09 pm

bobbankusa wrote:When Bulk stole Superted's magic word he sneeked off to Preston, changed his name to Parkin, transferred to Cardiff and will get two goals against Swansea on Sunday. The game is live on US TV. I cannot wait.

Man, that would be a great banner - Parkin dressed as Bulk! :ayatollah: