Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

IN DEFENCE OF DAVE JONES

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:12 am

Was it Frank Sinatra who sung " I did it my way" love him or loathe him, he's deffo his own man. If we get to the promised land then fair play, if we don't then he knows his way may not have been the answer.

A manger needs to be strong, in fact most mangers need a degree in psychology rather than a football background, at the highest levels player power is everything and dealing with some of the immature spoilt rich boys can't be easy.

Yes he don't make things easy for himself at times and rarely takes the easy option to appease fans or the media, but as I say, he's his own man.Loads of things I'd like him to change or fine tune, but what the f**k do I know in all fairness and if I had all the answers perhaps I'd be sitting in Fergies seat.

I also think that some of the shit he had to endure during those false trumped up allegations must have affected him and given him this hard expressionless vision we often see, possibly that is a defence mechanism he's developed to cope with life.

Who ever we had at the top we'd turn on from time to time, that's the nature of the beast, sometimes he makes me laugh when he says the opposite of what a politician would say to buy time and keep the peace. But that's just me, I love nutters and real characters, at the end of the day I'm sure he knows that whilst we are slagging him off, at least someone else is having a day off. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: IN DEFENCE OF DAVE JONES

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:17 am

"My way or the highway", thats Dave Jones sentiments alright, & the road to hell is also paved with sentiments like that.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:33 am

Well said Gwyn, what happens to us in life makes us who we are. When you consider what his family went through with the press etc well you can hardly blame the man for not having much respect for alot of the media. Really hope he sees this job through and we get to the prem :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:56 am

I think you should be in charge of his PR - you are doing a much better job of it than he has this year.
Only trouble is, if I was having a bet now I'd be putting my money on "DJ's way" missing the golden opportunity this season. We're already having to play catch up.

:old: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:17 pm

I'm not trying to defend him, at times he makes me want to pull my hair out, but he is what he is and until he goes we gotta make the most of it and keep praying, he can be the king or the villain by the end of the season, and surely we'd all rather him ne King. :old:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:36 pm

Gwyn
Given the backing he's had this year promotion is expected from the Malaysians. If he fails they will get rid and he will be gone. I'm not a Jones knocker but Tuesday's performance fell far short of the standards the team are setting. My biggest concern is the fact that everyman and his dog can see Naylor is the weak link and as I posted earlier this week sides are targetting him as Reading did from the first whistle on Tuesday.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:02 pm

He is gonna keep us down Gwyn :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:15 pm

How dull am I , my last post I wrote that I'm not defending dave Jones, yet my subject title is headed as in support of Dave Jones. duh. :roll:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:41 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:"My way or the highway", thats Dave Jones sentiments alright, & the road to hell is also paved with sentiments like that.

Well of course it is, he is the manager :? surely the same goes for all managers

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:42 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:"My way or the highway", thats Dave Jones sentiments alright, & the road to hell is also paved with sentiments like that.

Well of course it is, he is the manager :? surely the same goes for all managers

That depends on how good the manager is.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:44 pm

I would have thought a good manager wouldnt stand for people not doing things his way??

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:46 pm

Yer I remember a french guy called Napoleon he was the same, he wanted to take notice of no one, and do it all his way,
He got feked at Waterloo :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:48 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I would have thought a good manager wouldnt stand for people not doing things his way??

Like they did last November 7th,,,,yeh that really worked didn't it?

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:48 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I would have thought a good manager wouldnt stand for people not doing things his way??

Wouldn't being a good manager mean players wouldn't wonder what the f**k he's doing?

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:54 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:

Im not saying he is perfect far from it and of course he makes mistakes in games.....but I didnt think that was what we were talking about?

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:58 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:

Im not saying he is perfect far from it and of course he makes mistakes in games.....but I didnt think that was what we were talking about?

Wrong, its got everything to do with what we are talking about.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Well I wasnt, I was commenting on your "my way or the highway" comment.....To me thats how a manager should be or whats the point in him being manager.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:03 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Well I wasnt, I was commenting on your "my way or the highway" comment.....To me thats how a manager should be or whats the point in him being manager.

Ok, scenario.

Abrasive player, let's pick Bellamy... "Boss, why the f**k are you picking Naylor?"
Jones... "I'm the boss, my way or the highway."

Which one of those is right? Player for expressing a view about a problem he sees whilst playing the game, or the manager for being so dogmatic he can't accept any questioning of his decisions?

Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:08 pm

Well thats not doing it Jones way, thats just giving him an opinion.

To me someone not doing it Jones way was if a player on the pitch was not doing what he has been told to do by the manager and in which case the player should be at blame and the manager should be looking to move him on.
That should be the case for any manager tho, not specifically just Jones.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:11 pm

As a manager, or lets say "team leader", Dave Jones has a lot of resources & influential advice at his disposal, coaches, senior players etc. Does he use this pool of "wisdom" & then evaluate & decide. Or does he just give lip service & go with whatever he thinks is right, regardless of what others may think?

Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:14 pm

I have always had a feeling DJ tries to copy his big mate Sir Alex Ferguson on certain matters like shipping out players who question or cross him and acting ignorantly towards media/supporters who he feels have crossed the line.

Whilst SAF is obviously an excellent role model DJ’s biggest mistake would be trying to impersonate him. At the end of the day SAF has won 18 Championships 2 Champions Leagues and loads of domestic cups so has the whole of the football world including the media and supporters everywhere in awe of him and he gathers respect by the bucket full.

DJ in contrast has lost 1 FA Cup Final, 1 Play-off Final, manages a team in the Championship and despite his success in rightly defending himself against disgusting malicious allegations he must understand that is not enough to command the same respect as SAF so he can't expect to get away with the same Ferguson style of management.

Instead DJ should concentrate on his job in hand, take the criticism when it deservedly comes, build better relationships with his players and talk to the media and supporters. But most importantly he has to deliver results that take near misses from failure to success before he begins to earn the respect HE believes he deserves.

This Sunday would be an excellent time and place to start.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:18 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Well thats not doing it Jones way, thats just giving him an opinion.

To me someone not doing it Jones way was if a player on the pitch was not doing what he has been told to do by the manager and in which case the player should be at blame and the manager should be looking to move him on.
That should be the case for any manager tho, not specifically just Jones.

And how exactly do you know players aren't doing what Jones tells them? Drinkwater played out of position against Stoke - told by DJ to do that. JET played up front - told to by Jones. if players lack the confidence in what their manager tells them, I've little dobut some of those are thus changing and adapting on the fly based around what they know is clearly wrong.

Situation; get overrun in midfield. Chops makes the decision himself to drop deeper to help out. Would you rather have a player making a snap judgment to help the team or would you rather just have a team of robots, unable to think for themselves, utterly reliant upon DJ doing his usual arms crossed routine as some kind of signal to change things?

Because if you want the latter, then DJ has to be absolutely perfect with his tactics, formations, selections.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:19 pm

And how exactly do you know players aren't doing what Jones tells them? Drinkwater played out of position against Stoke - told by DJ to do that. JET played up front - told to by Jones. if players lack the confidence in what their manager tells them, I've little dobut some of those are thus changing and adapting on the fly based around what they know is clearly wrong.

I dont and havent suggested they have, I have made a scenario to explain what my thought on "my way or the highway".
Another reason could be discipline off the field, lateness, not eating properly etc etc.

Situation; get overrun in midfield. Chops makes the decision himself to drop deeper to help out. Would you rather have a player making a snap judgment to help the team or would you rather just have a team of robots, unable to think for themselves, utterly reliant upon DJ doing his usual arms crossed routine as some kind of signal to change things?

Well of course not, that generally will happen in most games and players have to make decisions throughout the game.
Like Naylor who made the decision to go to close down the player for Readings second yesterday instead of staying with his man, he had to make a decision in the heat of the moment (sadly it was the wrong one).

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:12 pm

IN DEFENCE OF DAVE JONES
If he loses on sunday then you could defend him with the O J Simpson lawyers and not even they could get him off the hook.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:12 pm

IN DEFENCE OF DAVE JONES
If he loses on sunday then you could defend him with the O J Simpson lawyers and not even they could get him off the hook.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:41 pm

IN DEFENCE, :lol: :lol: what f*cking defence :ayatollah: :lol:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:40 pm

ninianblue wrote:IN DEFENCE, :lol: :lol: what f*cking defence :ayatollah: :lol:

:lol: