Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Never let the truth get in the way of pure obsession

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:45 pm

Just browsing through the Wikipedia page of the South Welsh derby and the head to head record would be almost identical, if it wasn't for a shedload of wartime fixtures where it seems we won almost every time. In the league meetings between the two, Swansea just shade that. 20-18, and even though the very popular misconception is that they have'an Indian sign'over us, have they really? Since the turn of the millenium, believe it or not, they edge the wins by a whopping ONE. The first time we met in the decade was the 2003 FAW final. Cardiff City and the Swans both treated it as an extremely competitive fixture. Add to the fact, that they brought with them over 1500 fans(Thanks to Sam Hammams idea of free travel)they came here to take the cup home. A brilliant Graham Kavanagh free kick sent them packing. The next time our paths crossed was three years later. Twice in the league where both games ended 2-2. Their much-publicised league cup win(or world cup win?)cancelled out our FAW victory, so then it was onto last season where we lost 3-2 and won 2-1 in the return(possibly more important fixture). So, that leaves us with the pisspoor display in November, to leave us one behind since the turn of the century. The 90s were pretty much even too, so I think the sheer disappointment of us losing to our inferior cousins, coupled with the overwhelming euphoria which emanates from Abertawe when they hold out against their betters, perpetuates the myth that'we never beat the jacks', but when(not if)we beat them Sunday, the recent history is pretty much, level pegging.(scuse the pun).....

Roll on sunday

Re: Never let the truth get in the way of pure obsession

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:51 pm

ELY BOY wrote:The jacks don't like facts Ant, they like to live on made up stories remember

Agreed. It just seems, the times they have beaten us, they're still celebrating, when infact, their hold over us isn't as strong as most of them would have us believe

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:03 pm

CityGent wrote:
ELY BOY wrote:The jacks don't like facts Ant, they like to live on made up stories remember

Agreed. It just seems, the times they have beaten us, they're still celebrating, when infact, their hold over us isn't as strong as most of them would have us believe

Dont forget the result in 1988 when 15 fans were chased into the sea.......

Surely you as an author will have read from Skinnhead to smackhead or whatever Toozeys book is entitled and realised that not only have the jacks had the edge on the pitch they have ruled the roost off it.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:15 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
CityGent wrote:

Dont forget the result in 1988 when 15 fans were chased into the sea.......

Surely you as an author will have read from Skinnhead to smackhead or whatever Toozeys book is entitled and realised that not only have the jacks had the edge on the pitch they have ruled the roost off it.

Haha,from smack head to river island :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Lakey, you have surprised me there fella, thought it was more one sided considering all they sing is 'you'll never beat the jacks'
f*cking idiots hey :ayatollah: :lol:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:28 pm

I've flicked through it once in HMV Gareth. Once I read the extract of 4 of them holding off 400 Cardiff in Milan, I decided not to carry on :-)

No surprise that it got pulped before the print of it's initial print of 3,000 copies dried

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:39 pm

CityGent wrote:I've flicked through it once in HMV Gareth. Once I read the extract of 4 of them holding off 400 Cardiff in Milan, I decided not to carry on :-)

No surprise that it got pulped before the print of it's initial print of 3,000 copies dried

I'll add a few more extracts.

We ran the scum time and time again

We showed up in their city on matchday early doors. Something they've never done.

We ran the scum.

The scum turned up and called the police.

We ran them.