Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

For Those Waiting To Go To Court...Please Read

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:42 pm

Lads I urge you to consider your plea.I have heard there are lots going not guilty and some waiting to see how the next few days unfold before changing their plea.

My brother was sentenced today as lots would have read in another thread. He got 16 months for throwing a cone that hit absolutely nobody. Before all the do gooders jump on the band wagon I know its not perfect behaviour in your perfect world but you will see far worse tomorrow in every pub in town, guaranteed. My brother has no criminal record and never been in trouble before. He has represented his country in the Royal Navy for years, he has now moved on and has a good steady job, he has recently secured a mortgage (which in these tough times is great) and he has an 8 month old baby. He had incredible character references from very repectable people.

And it all counted for jack shit!!

So lads please think long and hard before going not guilty it could bite you in the arse, I have just been to see his girlfriend and my neice and you cant imagine how devastated the whole family are, I dont want to see others get even bigger sentences for going not guilty only to be found guilty. The law are going for it this time.

One last thing to the do gooders especially the City fans who think they deserve what they got.......f**k OFF!! If you think this is justice you are deluded, he will lose his job and could lose his house on top of missing his daughters first steps, first birthday and everything else that goes with it. Yes he deserved punishment, a ban, community service but prison is just madness. Quite a few on here know him and know he's a top man what has happened to him and others today is nothing short of disgraceful. My old man said one lad got 6 months for standing there with his hands in his pockets, he did take his hands out to toss the vick though, shit send him to prison for 6 months that will sort it. :roll:

Good luck to all those who are up there in the coming months.

Detail of charges and sentences:

The defendants convicted of violent disorder were:

Nathan Pleace, 22, of Cardiff; Stefan Lewis-Davies, 24, of Pontlottyn; and Peter Corkrey, 27, of Nelson, Treharris.

Pleace was sentenced to 12 months in prison while Lewis-Davies and Corkrey were sentenced to 16 months respectively. All three were given six-year football banning orders.

The five convicted of affray were:

Dean Hales, 30, Jamie Brett, 37, Shane Taylor, 39, Liam Driscoll, 27, all of Cardiff; and Joshua Roberts, 21, of Treorchy.

Hales and Driscoll were sentenced to six months in prison, suspended for 18 months, with 120 hours community service. Hales received a six-year football banning order and Driscoll a three-year ban.

Brett was sentenced to eight months in prison and given a six-year ban, while Taylor and Roberts were sentenced to six months with a six-year ban.

The two convicted of threatening behaviour were:

Christopher Watling, 27, of Caldicot, Newport; and Joshua Evans, 18, of Brackla, Bridgend.

Watling received a 12-month supervision order with 120 hours community service and a three-year ban while Evans received a 12-month supervision order, 80 hours community service and a three year ban.

Re: For Those Waiting To Go To Court...Please Read

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:47 pm

Corkrey wrote:Lads I urge you to consider your plea.I have heard there are lots going not guilty and some waiting to see how the next few days unfold before changing their plea.

My brother was sentenced today as lots would have read in another thread. He got 16 months for throwing a cone that hit absolutely nobody. Before all the do gooders jump on the band wagon I know its not perfect behaviour in your perfect world but you will see far worse tomorrow in every pub in town, guaranteed. My brother has no criminal record and never been in trouble before. He has represented his country in the Royal Navy for years, he has now moved on and has a good steady job, he has recently secured a mortgage (which in these tough times is great) and he has an 8 month old baby. He had incredible character references from very repectable people.

And it all counted for jack shit!!

So lads please think long and hard before going not guilty it could bite you in the arse, I have just been to see his girlfriend and my neice and you cant imagine how devastated the whole family are, I dont want to see others get even bigger sentences for going not guilty only to be found guilty. The law are going for it this time.

One last thing to the do gooders especially the City fans who think they deserve what they got.......f**k OFF!! If you think this is justice you are deluded, he will lose his job and could lose his house on top of missing his daughters first steps, first birthday and everything else that goes with it. Yes he deserved punishment, a ban, community service but prison is just madness. Quite a few on here know him and know he's a top man what has happened to him and others today is nothing short of disgraceful. My old man said one lad go 6 months for standing there with his hands in his pockets, he did take his hands out to toss the vick though, shit send him to prison for 6 months that will sort it. :roll:

Good luck to all those who are up there in the coming months.

I feel sorry for your brother and his family - is there any chance at all of appealing the severity of the sentence?

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:49 pm

F#cking stinks mate really sorry to hear that, been there done it had 3 months for f#ck all after altercation on sloper road 8 years ago

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:56 pm

Corkery, I really believe your brother should Appeal regarding the Sentence.
I really feel for him and Your Dad and Your/His Family.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:57 pm

NN2, I dont think so mate. Old bill have won this round again by the looks of it.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:02 pm

well said geraint,ive read a few comments today from so called city fans who in my opinion dont live in the real world,i would advise these people to have a good look at themselves,do these pricks understand how the world works ,peter threw a cone ,he reacted to a situation ,i challenge anyone to say that they havent done anything silly and regretted its seconds later ,thats why were human !

as i posted earlier ive known you guys since you were little,your are both a credit to your mam and dad ,im gutted tonight ,in fact im angry!!!!
take care talk soon !!!! :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:02 pm

Stinks, should have been community service at the most.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:03 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Corkery, I really believe your brother should Appeal regarding the Sentence.
I really feel for him and Your Dad and Your/His Family.

Cheers Annis, me and the old man are big enough and ugly enough to understand and have have mates in and out of the big house all the time. Its the rest of the family that are struggling, even my auntie who is whiter than white said and I quote 'f*cking rapists get better treatment'.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:04 pm

I really feel for your brother and the others who are banged up. Good luck to all those tomorrow

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:04 pm

are there solicitors fighting a good case for them?

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:08 pm

How many are up tomorrow?

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:10 pm

This makes my blood boil.

How the f@@k can they justify these sentences when the people who brought the country to it's knees and have effected almost every person in the UK get away with it.

It was a fight FFS.

I really hope there is some appeal that can be made.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:10 pm

Corkrey,

I am so sorry to hear this about your brother and all the others. To be honest my normal response would be they all should have kept out of trouble BUT I really am annoyed at the sentencing.
I am an ex rugby tour operator and have taken tens of thousands of supporters on tours from normal six nations matches to long haul tours to Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan< Dubai etc and can assure you I have had supporters arrested for numerous charges ranging from assault, theft, criminal damage, and even once an off duty police group from Swansea derailing a goods train by throwing fire extinguishers out of train windows on a chartered train. On all of these incidents not one person was jailed. I have been assaulted by customers at airports, train stations and hotels just doing my job.
There is something very wrong with justice when it comes to football supporters and something needs to be done.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:19 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-12361933

:(

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:23 pm

corkrey,my thoughts are with with your brother and all the family,and for all the other lads and families involved,still cant get my head around this,take care and good luck for the future,obviously words are not enough,but my heart goes out to you all,'one love'

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:24 pm

Absolutely gutted , You couldn't meet a nicer lad than Peter and it is so unfair, football fans are treated worse than career criminals, stuck for words for once in my life.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:25 pm

ridofrid wrote:Corkrey,

I am so sorry to hear this about your brother and all the others. To be honest my normal response would normally be they all should have kept out of trouble BUT I really am annoyed at the sentencing.
I am an ex rugby tour operator and have taken tens of thousands of supporters on tours from normal six nations matches to long haul tours to Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan< Dubai etc and can assure you I have had supporters arrested for numerous charges ranging from assault, theft, criminal damage, and even once an off duty police group from Swansea de railing a goods train by throwing fire extinguishers out of train windows on a chartered train. On all of these incidents not one person was jailed. I have been assaulted by customers at airports, train stations and hotels just doing my job.
There is something very wrong with justice when it comes to football supporters and something needs to be done.

Its incredible. A mate of mine found out his ex missus had started seeing someone else and staying in the house he was still paying for, in a drunken state he went straight round there, kicked the door open, pushed her, had him by the throat and threatened to kill him. He has been in and out of prison for years for various offences, he got 9 months. How can you say this carries a lighter sentence than a first time offender throwing a cone that hit nobody.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:31 pm

Corkrey wrote:
ridofrid wrote:Corkrey,

I am so sorry to hear this about your brother and all the others. To be honest my normal response would normally be they all should have kept out of trouble BUT I really am annoyed at the sentencing.
I am an ex rugby tour operator and have taken tens of thousands of supporters on tours from normal six nations matches to long haul tours to Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan< Dubai etc and can assure you I have had supporters arrested for numerous charges ranging from assault, theft, criminal damage, and even once an off duty police group from Swansea de railing a goods train by throwing fire extinguishers out of train windows on a chartered train. On all of these incidents not one person was jailed. I have been assaulted by customers at airports, train stations and hotels just doing my job.

Its incredible. A mate of mine found out his ex missus had started seeing someone else and staying in the house he was still paying for, in a drunken state he went straight round there, kicked the door open, pushed her, had him by the throat and threatened to kill him. He has been in and out of prison for years for various offences, he got 9 months. How can you say this carries a lighter sentence than a first time offender throwing a cone that hit nobody.

If I had the opportunity I would love to meet some of these judges and inform them of the unfairness of it all it's so unjust mate and something has to be done. If a guy comes out of the stadium tomorrow night and has a piss in Westgate Street the police would laugh and just treat that as normal behaviour from a rugby supporter. Try and do the same in Sloper road after a game at CCS

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:43 pm

Corkrey wrote:NN2, I dont think so mate. Old bill have won this round again by the looks of it.

I feel sorry for everybody concerned. Punishment should fit the crime, for justice to be seen to be done. All this sentence will do is breed resentment amongst everybody who is affected by it. Shocking state of affairs.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:49 pm

Paul,

I obviously know you but not your brother, I live in Nelson and I will be writing to Wayne David MP and Jeff Curthbert AM regarding your brothers sentence on the weekend. I don't know what else I can do but if there is anything please don't hesitate to ask.

These sentences are outrageous. I really do feel for all those involved, those imprisoned, the families and friends.

I gave my view on an earlier thread, this is what I said:

Having followed city everywhere for over 30 years and never being nicked. I get really pissed off with idiots who kick off at big matches and then let people like me take all the restrictions and bollox that goes along with following city away. I should probably qualify that and say there by the grace of God go I, because I have seen innocent fans lifted in smash and grab raids by the police. It seemed to happen rather a lot every time we went to Fulham in the past but I guess that's the Met for you.

However, over those 30 odd years, I have seen loads of aggression, intimidation and damn right thuggery from the police themselves. I have seen West Midlands Police cover up their identity numbers with black tape and then go forth and bash a few of the Taffy Bastards with relish (their words not mine). I've seen South Yorkshire police charge city fans walking peacefully down the road on horses, creating a scene like something out of "Charge of the Light Brigade" and I've seen police herd innocent fans up like cattle and keep them at a rendezvous point making them miss the start of a match which has cost them the best part of £100 for the ticket, travel and sundry expenses.

I also sometimes watch these police programmes on sky from city centres around the UK and watch in amazement assaults on individuals, police and the damaging of property go completely unpunished or they bang them up and let them off with a warning. In my younger days laying a finger on copper meant you were going down. Not any more unless you happen to be a football fan.

So I wish those who have been banged up for offences which would normally do not carry a custodial sentence well and I think it's a disgrace that they have been treated so unfairly but to all persistent petty football thugs, I say grow up and stop making my life watching city away so much hassle.

The real punishment to a true football fan is a banning order and I know somebody that missed out on 3 Wembley trips with his beloved Cardiff over recent years and it broke his heart.
Last edited by cheppy on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:50 pm

these sentences are incredible. How on earth can they justify this? There is no way if some pissed up tw*t in queens street threw a traffic cone tonight would he go down, in fact nothing would happen. The CPS would laugh it out. This whole thing has all the hallmarks of higher powers at work here, they want the prosecutions regardless of the actual offences. They are runing peoples lifes even though those convicetd caused no harm. The things I saw walking thru cardiff city centre last saturday shocked me and i've seen a lot of shit in a lot of dodgy places/countries/football matches. This country has gone. surely they will get out on appeal.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:53 pm

its madness, i read other day some people got searched and arrested for intent to supply coke and mdma, got a warning....

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:59 pm

cheppy wrote:Paul,

I obviously know you but not your brother, I live in Nelson and I will be writing to Wayne David MP and Jeff Curthbert AM regarding your brothers sentence on the weekend. I don't know what else I can do but if there is anything please don't hesitate to ask.

These sentences are outrageous. I really do feel for all those involved, those imprisoned, the families and friends.

I gave my view on an earlier thread, this is what I said:

Having followed city everywhere for over 30 years and never being nicked. I get really pissed off with idiots who kick off at big matches and then let people like me take all the restrictions and bollox that goes along with following city away. I should probably qualify that and say there by the grace of God go I, because I have seen innocent fans lifted in smash and grab raids by the police. It seemed to happen rather a lot every time we went to Fulham in the past but I guess that's the Met for you.

However, over those 30 odd years, I have seen loads of aggression, intimidation and damn right thuggery from the police themselves. I have seen West Midlands Police cover up their identity numbers with black tape and then go forth and bash a few of the Taffy Bastards with relish (their words not mine). I've seen South Yorkshire police charge city fans walking peacefully down the road on horses, creating a scene like something out of "Charge of the Light Brigade" and I've seen police herd innocent fans up like cattle and keep them at a rendezvous point making them miss the start of a match which has cost them the best part of £100 for the ticket, travel and sundry expenses.

I also sometimes watch these police programmes on sky from city centres around the UK and watch in amazement assaults on individuals, police and the damaging of property go completely unpunished or they bang them up and let them off with a warning. In my younger days laying a finger on copper meant you were going down. Not any more unless you happen to be a football fan.

So I wish those who have been banged up for offences which would normally do not carry a custodial sentence well and I think it's a disgrace that they have been treated so unfairly but to all persistent petty football thugs, I say grow up and stop making my life watching city away so much hassle.

The real punishment to a true football fan is a banning order and I know somebody that missed out on 3 Wembley trips with his beloved Cardiff over recent years and it broke his heart.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:00 pm

Cheppy, Corky is the old man. I am his son and its my brother that has been sentenced today. Agree with your comments.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:23 pm

Sorry to hear that mate. I said on a previous thread it's time football fans got justice in the courts and this hasn't happened again.A fuckin ridiculous sentence for such a minior offence.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:20 am

Corky mate I guted for your boy and your family too,just to say my freind Nathan aka(bomber) was sentanced to 12 months today aswell for excactly the same offence throwing a traffic cone he also was in the paras has been fighting in Afgan for his country for the past 4 years .The news has come as a masive shock to us in Gabalfa as knowing Nathan as we do Wormwood is not where he belongs especially for a MINOR offence like this,but being positive IF we can under these circumstances I dont think they will struggle to do there time knowing what they are trained for ,and I am also glad he aint going back to Afghan to fight for a country that has today proved that it dont give a f**k for him, ye we will miss them but WE are used to that with the job they do its at the moment the way im trying to think of it .gabalfablue

Private messageE-mail gabalfablue

Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:53 am

Its time like this when families pull together .I have no doubt that the strength that you get knowing that your family and friends are there for you is a massive boost .

Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:24 am

princebluegaz wrote:well said geraint,ive read a few comments today from so called city fans who in my opinion dont live in the real world,i would advise these people to have a good look at themselves,do these pricks understand how the world works ,peter threw a cone ,he reacted to a situation ,i challenge anyone to say that they havent done anything silly and regretted its seconds later ,thats why were human !

as i posted earlier ive known you guys since you were little,your are both a credit to your mam and dad ,im gutted tonight ,in fact im angry!!!!

it makes no odds mate if as you put it SO CALLED CITY FANS.because he is a city fan doesnt mean fans need to back him,but and this is my honest opinion,the sentence is disgustingly harsh and given by a judge who has never encountered anything in the real world,be peter be a city fan,a jack or a man u fan this sentence is rubbish :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:20 am

Very very harsh. Wurzel gummidge didnt get much more than that for trying to kill a copper throwing a fire extinguisher off millbank roof.

Gutted for them all. Best wishes to all the families involved. Stay strong.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:16 am

krab wrote:
princebluegaz wrote:well said geraint,ive read a few comments today from so called city fans who in my opinion dont live in the real world,i would advise these people to have a good look at themselves,do these pricks understand how the world works ,peter threw a cone ,he reacted to a situation ,i challenge anyone to say that they havent done anything silly and regretted its seconds later ,thats why were human !

it makes no odds mate if as you put it SO CALLED CITY FANS.because he is a city fan doesnt mean fans need to back him,but and this is my honest opinion,the sentence is disgustingly harsh and given by a judge who has never encountered anything in the real world,be peter be a city fan,a jack or a man u fan this sentence is rubbish :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I'm in no way trying to justify the sentencing, but having looked at the offence 'Violent Disorder' I would guess that these lads are more victims of circumstances than anything else.

Their actions appear to be trivial and no-one got hurt but unfortunatley the criteria for bringing a successful prosecution for VO was committed and the sentences they received were in line with other case law See: http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sent ... _disorder/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violent_Disorder

I suspect that's why there is no plan to appeal and frankly writing to MP's and AM's will fall on deaf ears. TBH this is a real eye opener for me and it's all rather frightening.