Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Mystery of Mr Harris

Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:51 pm

Whatever the ultimate outcome might be, it's clear that Cardiff City has been and is "living the dream" i.e. punting out a lot more money than it brings in, in order to improve itself off the field (new stadium) and on it (aiming for the Premiership).

Many of us are unhappy that the club seems to be gambling everything on reaching the promised land of the Prem, seemingly regardless of the effect this has on the financial health and continuance of Cardiff City. We recognise a familiar pattern here with Mr Ridsdale and his board at Leeds United following a similar strategy to try to make that club serious and regular Champions League contenders. We all know how that ended up.

When Keith Harris joined the board at Cardiff City, as a fan and a shareholder I felt this was a very reassuring move. After all, here was a man who not only was a former chairman of the Football League and chairman of a successful investment bank but he was and is a man with a reputation in football for brokering deals to buy and sell football clubs.

I am utterly mystified why he as a board member at Cardiff City has approved the continuing policy of "living the dream." He was interviewed on 5Live only this morning and asked to comment on the financial problems at Man Utd and the likelihood of a Prem club going into Administration this season. A year ago, an interview with him in the Guardian concluded with the following quote from Mr Harris, "The clubs have been spending too much and the club owners were looking for richer people to buy the clubs and take on the losses. But we are in a different climate now, where the football clubs have to realise it is back to the fundamental basics of managing their costs. The supply of richer people has proved to be finite."

It's said that a leopard cannot change its spots and in Mr Ridsdale's case that's clearly true but what of Mr Harris? Why has he kept silent about the need for financial prudence at the Club he is a director of?

Re: The Mystery of Mr Harris

Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:55 pm

he was brought in as an another friend of pistol petes and an ally in the boardroom.
him and whitley actually sat down and decided what ridsdales salary should be. talk about scratching each others backs

Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:55 pm

excellent thread, like yourself I always thought that with Harris coming on board always meant a good thing but somehow he has remained somewhat anonymous

Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:58 pm

Good post,

I've felt it was a strange appointment aswell, as seeing as he may well be on some sort of wage/contract he doesn't seem to be doing much! If PR is to be believed the Malaysians seemed to be all his doing, so I'm not sure what Harris is doing.
I think he was linked with Southampton / Steele before, so maybe this latest investment story has something to do with him?

As far as the cost cutting at the club is concerned, we seem to have taken it one step further and not bothered paying anybody at all!

Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:07 pm

steve davies wrote:he was brought in as an another friend of pistol petes and an ally in the boardroom.
him and whitley actually sat down and decided what ridsdales salary should be. talk about scratching each others backs

How many allies does he need? Apart from Borley, who on that board is going to rock the boat? I had assumed that Harris arriving was PMG's doing. If I was owed as much as they are, I would want someone representing me at board level. Since Hall stepped down they have been completely unrepresented then?

Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:10 pm

Dreamlike or Chic wrote:
steve davies wrote:he was brought in as an another friend of pistol petes and an ally in the boardroom.

How many allies does he need? Apart from Borley, who on that board is going to rock the boat? I had assumed that Harris arriving was PMG's doing. If I was owed as much as they are, I would want someone representing me at board level. Since Hall stepped down they have been completely unrepresented then?

whitley is also a pr man
steve borley is outnumbered 3-1 in board meetings hence our chairman taking the stadium completion bonus against steve borleys wishes

Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:25 pm

Dreamlike or Chic wrote:

It would seem that PMG are happy enough to allow Ridsdale to negotiate a sale on their behalf as long as he doesn't ask for any more money from them. They don't seem particularly bothered about CCFC and it's general running. Only getting a decent return for their shares.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:43 pm

m4morris wrote:
Dreamlike or Chic wrote:

It would seem that PMG are happy enough to allow Ridsdale to negotiate a sale on their behalf as long as he doesn't ask for any more money from them. They don't seem particularly bothered about CCFC and it's general running. Only getting a decent return for their shares.

Mike! Welcome to the dark side.

It's a risky strategy to rely on Ridsdale. If we go into Admin, PMG will wish they hadn't and Harris' credibility in the football and financial worlds will be shot to bits. The day he steps down from the Board, we'll know that Admin is around the corner.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:25 pm

Steve you have stolen my reply :lol:

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:33 am

Dreamlike or Chic wrote:
steve davies wrote:How many allies does he need? Apart from Borley, who on that board is going to rock the boat? I had assumed that Harris arriving was PMG's doing. If I was owed as much as they are, I would want someone representing me at board level. Since Hall stepped down they have been completely unrepresented then?

It is my understanding Keith Harris link goes right back to when Ridsdale first arrived here as a 'consultant' in 2005.

Ridsdale sold himself to Hammam with the patter that he had plenty of contacts within football which prodominatly included Harris and the successful Seymour Pierce investment bank.

I assume Hammam hoped that contact would help to secure outside investment and help dig himself out of the financial hole he had got himself into.

It doesn't take to much of a leap of faith to believe that patter was then sold on to PMG when they eventually took control.

I believe Hall received legal advice to step down from the board in the wake of Langston's legal action against the club in 2008 and since then Ridsdale has made his position more secure by appointing his own men, which is not that usual really.