Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Football Governance

Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:22 pm

I know that someone on this forum recently raised this subject, but I have not seen any discussion or replies.

"The Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee are currently conducting an inquiry into the governance of professional football clubs responding not only to the high-profile coverage of Liverpool and Manchester United, but also to broader concerns that current and future generations of football supporters of clubs across the country are ill-served by current football club regulations."

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... overnance/

If your voice counted, what concerns would you highlight and what suggestions would make to improve governance of the "Beautiful Game" in the UK?

My suggestions would include:

1. Ownership rule with significant holding allocated to fans' trusts (1 per club) to promote fan interests and good governance. Linked to this, compulsory fan representation on board.
2. Financial prudence rules - clubs profitable, salaries as a percentage of matchday revenues, etc
3. Possibly a minimum percentage of squad players from own academy (e.g. 50%) within x years.

Re: Football Governance

Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:55 pm

Uccello Azzurro wrote:I know that someone on this forum recently raised this subject, but I have not seen any discussion or replies.

"The Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee are currently conducting an inquiry into the governance of professional football clubs responding not only to the high-profile coverage of Liverpool and Manchester United, but also to broader concerns that current and future generations of football supporters of clubs across the country are ill-served by current football club regulations."

If your voice counted, what concerns would you highlight and what suggestions would make to improve governance of the "Beautiful Game" in the UK?

1. Ownership rule with significant holding allocated to fans' trusts (1 per club) to promote fan interests and good governance. Linked to this, compulsory fan representation on board.
2. Financial prudence rules - clubs profitable, salaries as a percentage of matchday revenues, etc
3. Possibly a minimum percentage of squad players from own academy (e.g. 50%) within x years.

There is a video on that Parliament site of the Private Member's debate about Football Governance which was held yesterday. I have watched about half of it and intend to watch the rest later on tonight but what I have seen so far has been excellent.

The German model of 51% fan ownership was discussed as was Arsenal's fan share scheme.

However, the cost of supporters buying into multi-million pound businesses is still a huge barrier to fan representation and influence at board level, but there was an estimate that this could be achieved at most clubs if enough of their season ticket holders were prepared to put in around £600 each.

Moving on I agree with all your points UA, but I would like to see a levy of 1 or 2% placed on all football income like TV deals, sponsorship & tickets sales and that money used to purchase club shares for the supporters trusts.

I would also like to challenge David Cameron to extend his 'big society' idea to the running of youth academies. These vital educational and development establishments should no longer be left in the hands of the clubs who starve them of cash but are not shy to plunder them if there is a sniff of a quick profit. Because of the damage this can cause to both the player and the club I would like their administration taken away from the clubs and given to voluntary supporters groups.

Two big radical ideas, but after all you did ask :lol:

Re: Football Governance

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:52 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Uccello Azzurro wrote:I know that someone on this forum recently raised this subject, but I have not seen any discussion or replies.

There is a video on that Parliament site of the Private Member's debate about Football Governance which was held yesterday. I have watched about half of it and intend to watch the rest later on tonight but what I have seen so far has been excellent.

The German model of 51% fan ownership was discussed as was Arsenal's fan share scheme.

However, the cost of supporters buying into multi-million pound businesses is still a huge barrier to fan representation and influence at board level, but there was an estimate that this could be achieved at most clubs if enough of their season ticket holders were prepared to put in around £600 each.

Moving on I agree with all your points UA, but I would like to see a levy of 1 or 2% placed on all football income like TV deals, sponsorship & tickets sales and that money used to purchase club shares for the supporters trusts.

I would also like to challenge David Cameron to extend his 'big society' idea to the running of youth academies. These vital educational and development establishments should no longer be left in the hands of the clubs who starve them of cash but are not shy to plunder them if there is a sniff of a quick profit. Because of the damage this can cause to both the player and the club I would like their administration taken away from the clubs and given to voluntary supporters groups.

Two big radical ideas, but after all you did ask :lol:

TBW

It appears that both the Select Committee and the Government have fan participation in the running of clubs at the forefront of their thinking. That has to be positive.

There are some things that Germans seem to do pretty well on the whole and running football appears to one of those. Their system would certainly benefit a club like CCFC. Clubs like Chelsea might be less inclined to support the adoption of German practices, but as far as I am concerned that is their problem.

The use of a levy would seem to have some merit. These links may be of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAmh0vyaDZg

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Playe ... 57.2070000

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 1657000003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujM-BozoT8Q