Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Leon Jeanne Update

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:09 pm

As some of you may know, after one of my posts a few weeks ago, I have been spending time with Leon Jeanne over the last few months, working on his autobiography, and helping him get fit for a final crack at the football league this summer.

Over the last 12 months Leon has now lost 3 and a half stone and has just half a stone to lose before he is back to peak fitness. In November he signed for Conference team Bath City and despite being overweight he was drafted into their squad and featured in their 2.1 win over Newport. Unfortunately Leon was not quite fit enough to start any games, and due to Bath not having a reserve team, he was not able to improve on his match fitness. As a result Bath manager, Aidie Britton, has allowed Leon to join Cinderford Town, on loan, in order to get more minutes under his belt. Leon made a spectatcular debut for Cinderford on the weekend, setting up a goal and scoring a screamer:

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/ ... ticle.html

In the next two weeks he is scheduled to attend a high intensity boxing camp in Tenerife in order to shed the remaining pounds. The PFA have also paid for him to spend some time in Lilleshall to work on his fitness. Both Bath and Cinderford managers have stated that as long as Leon gets back to full fitness he still has the quality to play in the football league. This summer he is hoping to go on trial at Bristol Rovers in an attempt to earn a contract. Leon is however adamant that he can still play Championship football if given the chance.

Reporters from Channel Four's, Dispatches, programme recently met with Leon and I to discuss doing a feature on him for a forthcoming documentary regarding drugs in football which will be on tv in May. After some consideration we decided that it would not be in Leon's best interests to take part at this time as he wanted to focus 100% on his comeback and didnt want to revive any negative publicity. Leon also feared that the programme may make out that he was blaming others in football for his drug and alcohol problems which is not the case as he takes full repsonsibility.

Whatever happens regarding Leon's comeback he is a changed man, who is busting a gut to try and make something of himself, after years in the wilderness. It wont be easy but he's giving it his best.

Re: Leon Jeanne Update

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:19 pm

Good on him, would be a shame to waste the talent :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:21 pm

Remember seeing Leon in a friendly up at merthyr back in 2001, thought he was fantastic, with huge potential, i wrote to the club saying how impressed i was with him, they sent me a letter back saying they had passed it on to him, it was a great pity that he lost his way. good to hear he is in better shape now and trying to get back into league football, good luck leon. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Leon, was one of the most Talented players I have ever seen, Sadly Wasted.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:35 pm

I can see a film in the making here, watched the fighter last night, this could be the football version of that film, which incidentally was fantastic.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:38 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Leon, was one of the most Talented players I have ever seen, Sadly Wasted.

Totally agree, so much talent and potential sadly wasted.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:42 pm

I spend quite a lot of my working life with people with substance misuse issues and I hope Leon makes it back - it would be nice to put forward a living example to people to show that it is never too late to give up drugs.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:53 pm

Used to watch him play in our reserves when he was with us. He could have been as good as George Best had he not been distracted but then we wouldn't have had him if he hadn't been.
Last edited by Gerry Hat Trick on Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:53 pm

Good grief.

If you're writing a book on him, ask him about his pitiful Zoo "article".

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:03 pm

Maybe he should have played for wales last night!!!

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Gerry Hat Trick wrote:Used to watch him play in our reserves when he was with us. He could have been as good as George Best had he not been distracted but then we wouldn't have had him if he hadn't been.

He really was that good, I watched him quite a few times, I Rem away to Newtown in the Welsh invitation Cup, he was taking the mick out of their players because they could not get near him, he was actually told of for it,for his appalling attitude.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:17 pm

'As good as Georgie Best' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:20 pm

I saw Leon play once in a league game at home to Brighton. He skinned their right back, sent in a perfect cross and earnie scored.

Sad waste of a talent. Hope he has completely sorted himself out.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:23 pm

One of my friends at Mount town played against him in a friendly last year. Said Jeanne was sensational. He couldn't believe how skillful he was playing at that level. Sounds like he's working hard to get back. Best of luck to him

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:23 pm

I seen play in Italy for the Welsh under 21 side he was the best player on the pitch the boy had class, if he had the right people around him at the time he could have been the best modern day player we ever had.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Wasted talent is so frustrating. Remember him against the Jacks at home in the FAW Cup I think it was. He murdered them, he had power, skill and could finish like Earnie.

I genuinely believe he could have been a City great.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:43 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:I saw Leon play once in a league game at home to Brighton. He skinned their right back, sent in a perfect cross and earnie scored.

I remember that game as I was in the grandstand. I also watched him in a few Reserve games too.

He did have the potential to become a top four club player. He was that good!! Such a waste of a talent. :( :( :(

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:49 pm

leon, is going to look at his life when hes in his rocking chair, with his great grandchildren on his lap, and say, ive been a fool in my life, i could have had something special, something that millions of children, adults would have giving anything to have,,,,,,,, a football talent,,, let down by mates, people gave me chance after chance, but i blew it,,,,,,,,,, look what i got now, look what i could have had,,,,,,, leon was given a second chance by sam, but he threw it back in his face,,, anyway, as a cardiff boy i hope he makes a go of it, and good luck to him,,,,,,, but i dont feel sorry for him, he chose his path, and walked it.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:49 pm

i saw him play once against the vermin, FAW premier cup final 2002. Cracking player, would love to see him back in the FL.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:51 pm

such a shame. could have been such a great player. hope he gets back into the football league

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:57 pm

fantastic to hear that !! I remember winning the FAW cup over Swansea and he featured in our team. He's a hometown lad and I hope he knows all city fans are hoping he can achieve his dream.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:35 am

Good luck Leon... I really hope he makes it as I had the good fortune to see him play once or twice and he had so much talent it was frightening :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:04 am

Interesting correlation how the best players are often the ones with the most issues.

Gazza, Best, Maradona - all nutters!

Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:56 am

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:I saw Leon play once in a league game at home to Brighton. He skinned their right back, sent in a perfect cross and earnie scored.

Yeah, this was the only time I saw him play.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:18 am

Fair play to leon! he's doin well
I'v seen him at his worse and seen him at his best ,

if he gets back to peak fitness best thing he could do is get as far away from cardiff as possible! cos I know exactly what he'l be like. one Blip , or break up with the mrs and he'l be dragged back in to the shit.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:29 am

ninianblue wrote:leon, is going to look at his life when hes in his rocking chair, with his great grandchildren on his lap, and say, ive been a fool in my life, i could have had something special, something that millions of children, adults would have giving anything to have,,,,,,,, a football talent,,, let down by mates, people gave me chance after chance, but i blew it,,,,,,,,,, look what i got now, look what i could have had,,,,,,, leon was given a second chance by sam, but he threw it back in his face,,, anyway, as a cardiff boy i hope he makes a go of it, and good luck to him,,,,,,, but i dont feel sorry for him, he chose his path, and walked it.

Judging by the effort he appears to be putting in, looks like he doesn't feel sorry for himself. It would be a good turnaround story for others whose lives derail. Good luck to him.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:54 am

Uccello Azzurro wrote:
ninianblue wrote:leon, is going to look at his life when hes in his rocking chair, with his great grandchildren on his lap, and say, ive been a fool in my life, i could have had something special, something that millions of children, adults would have giving anything to have,,,,,,,, a football talent,,, let down by mates, people gave me chance after chance, but i blew it,,,,,,,,,, look what i got now, look what i could have had,,,,,,, leon was given a second chance by sam, but he threw it back in his face,,, anyway, as a cardiff boy i hope he makes a go of it, and good luck to him,,,,,,, but i dont feel sorry for him, he chose his path, and walked it.

Judging by the effort he appears to be putting in, looks like he doesn't feel sorry for himself. It would be a good turnaround story for others whose lives derail. Good luck to him.

He's pushing 32 november, will the crack/cocaine alcohol take its toll on him into his 30's
i'm curious to see the outcome

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:47 am

It's a shame that he's left it too late to make any real impact as a player, but I would think that he could redeem himself and become some sort of councillor against drugs and alcohol abuse within professional football, could be a career for him there.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:28 pm

The amount of chances that lads had, chances most people could only dream of! And all he done was throw it back in peoples face pfft!!!

Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:44 pm

blackswan wrote:'As good as Georgie Best' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

precisely the sort of reply one would expect from the graveyard of ambition