Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Leon Jeanne Update

Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:03 pm

got alot of time for Leon, use to see him around Llanrumney alot and in the clubs when i was working the doors.... regardless of his off field problems he was ALWAYS well mannered and had time for everyone...... I really hope 2011 is a great year for him, a wasted talent but a talent and a past that can now go in his favour...... the FA/FAW would be mad not to use Leon in a trainer type role for young player coming thru the ranks....... he knows the pit falls etc.......he can still have a career in football, both on the field and off it :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:19 pm

Thanks for all the replies, and especially for the messages of good will! I trained with Leon this morning and read him all of the messages. He was thrilled that so many people still remember him and want him to do well. He's always been worried that because of a lot of negative publicity in the past that people think the worst of him and that has hampered him in recent years. Knowing that so many people want him to do well gave him an extra spring in his step. Anyone who has spent any time with Leon will tell you that the misconception that he is a bad boy with a bad attitude is far from the truth. Even his managers would tell you the same. He is very polite and considerate and I should make clear that he has never been convicted for a crime depsite so much bad publicity!

In regard to some of the comments I should clarify that Leon has just turned 30, it really is last chance saloon for him this summer and he knows that. When we started talking about his autobiography last March I think it hit him what a mess he had made of things and ever since he has been determined to give it a final shot. He's had some ups and downs but nothing has rocked him off course. Its an old adage but you cant be helped unless you want to help yourslef. In years gone past Leon has acknowledged that plenty of people have tried but for whatever reason it just didnt sink in with him, now he really wants to do it for himself and it shows as he has been busting a gut for almost 12 months now and the change in his physique is unbelievable. In the future he hopes to use his experience to help those who have suffered from substance abuse and I keep telling him that if he can make a comeback now, after all of his troubles, he will be an inspiration to so many who have had their lives seemingly ruined by addiction. I noticed that someone mentioned that his story reminds them of the film The Fighter and I have to agree that it does have some interesting parrallels, all that is missing right now is a happy ending but in 6 months time hopefully we will have one.

I'll keep everyone posted on his development but I should add that on the morning of Saturday March 26th he is planning to play in a charity game, in aid of The Joshua Foundation, for the Cardiff City Legends team at Leckwith. By then he will be very close to full fitness so if you want to see him play, and a few more such as Scott Young and Phil Dwyer, then it will be a good chance and an opportunity to support a local childrens charity. When I have more info on the game I'll post it but it will be in the morning, before the Wales v England game.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:25 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:As some of you may know, after one of my posts a few weeks ago, I have been spending time with Leon Jeanne over the last few months, working on his autobiography, and helping him get fit for a final crack at the football league this summer.

Over the last 12 months Leon has now lost 3 and a half stone and has just half a stone to lose before he is back to peak fitness. In November he signed for Conference team Bath City and despite being overweight he was drafted into their squad and featured in their 2.1 win over Newport. Unfortunately Leon was not quite fit enough to start any games, and due to Bath not having a reserve team, he was not able to improve on his match fitness. As a result Bath manager, Aidie Britton, has allowed Leon to join Cinderford Town, on loan, in order to get more minutes under his belt. Leon made a spectatcular debut for Cinderford on the weekend, setting up a goal and scoring a screamer:

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/ ... ticle.html

In the next two weeks he is scheduled to attend a high intensity boxing camp in Tenerife in order to shed the remaining pounds. The PFA have also paid for him to spend some time in Lilleshall to work on his fitness. Both Bath and Cinderford managers have stated that as long as Leon gets back to full fitness he still has the quality to play in the football league. This summer he is hoping to go on trial at Bristol Rovers in an attempt to earn a contract. Leon is however adamant that he can still play Championship football if given the chance.

Reporters from Channel Four's, Dispatches, programme recently met with Leon and I to discuss doing a feature on him for a forthcoming documentary regarding drugs in football which will be on tv in May. After some consideration we decided that it would not be in Leon's best interests to take part at this time as he wanted to focus 100% on his comeback and didnt want to revive any negative publicity. Leon also feared that the programme may make out that he was blaming others in football for his drug and alcohol problems which is not the case as he takes full repsonsibility.

Whatever happens regarding Leon's comeback he is a changed man, who is busting a gut to try and make something of himself, after years in the wilderness. It wont be easy but he's giving it his best.

Jimbo I was in school with Leon, played in the same school team and I know him well, tell him I want a mention in his book, just make something up!!LOL

He was the most naturally gifted player compared to Christian Roberts, Andrew Martin and Bellamy...

Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:47 pm

Gerry Hat Trick wrote:
blackswan wrote:'As good as Georgie Best' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

precisely the sort of reply one would expect from the graveyard of ambition

Actualy Dylan Thomas said that about his home town -Swansea :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:33 pm

He`s Black,Smokes Crack
And He`ll Never Be A Jack
Leon Jeanne,Leon Jeanne

Was the song from the Grange End that night against the Jacks.Such a terrible waste of talent.
Hope he makes it this time round.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:43 pm

as i have heard, gossip etc,, when leon was at qpr, as a youngster, he was earning, £1500 pounds a week, ,, i do wish leon all the best, i think he should , have a job in the fa, with the youngsters, as a teaching role, ,hes been there done it, just to advise the youngsters of today of the pitfalls,

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:18 pm

I liked the chant that was sang once or twice....

He's black,
Smokes crack,
He'll never be a jack,
Leon Jeanne.

:lol: :lol:

You can't beat the Grange end. :lol: