Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " 25 YEARS SINCE THEY BECAME KNOWN AS THE SCABS "

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:49 pm

CANT WAIT GOING TO BE A BRILLIANT ATMOSPHERE :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:51 pm

Looking forward to it Annis. We still have to have our chat on Sam Chief remember :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:53 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Looking forward to it Annis. We still have to have our chat on Sam Chief remember :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Yes Def Steve, Where you getting on ?

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:56 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:Looking forward to it Annis. We still have to have our chat on Sam Chief remember :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Same as you Chief Castleton :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:02 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Same as you Chief Castleton :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

SIT TOGETHER I WILL SOON GET YOU TO BE A SAM FAN :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:05 pm

Annis i love his enthusiasm his love of the club. Just need convincing that he can be of benefit again. Defo a chat on Sat cant wait Chief :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:08 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Annis i love his enthusiasm his love of the club. Just need convincing that he can be of benefit again. Defo a chat on Sat cant wait Chief :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I Still reckon he can, I can explain better than I Can type it :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:11 pm

I can't wait to visit Scabland. It will be a good trip on the funbus :geek:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:Annis i love his enthusiasm his love of the club. Just need convincing that he can be of benefit again. Defo a chat on Sat cant wait Chief :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I Still reckon he can, I can explain better than I Can type it :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Chief you do the talking i will just drink my Bow and take it all in :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:17 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Chief you do the talking i will just drink my Bow and take it all in :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:25 pm

Would love to see a flag at the game.

25 YEARS ON
AND YOU'RE STILL
SCABS

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:11 am

Rewrite of history again. Welsh miners voted AGAINST the strike and their democratic vote should have been respected.

However, they allowed a handful of men to picket them out and sacrificed THEIR pits for the sake of YORKSHIRE and Scargill's ego so he could strut round like a little dictator. Did he suffer himself? Use your brains.

And ask yourself when Yorkshire risked their jobs for South Wales.

Heroism is one thing stupidity is another.

If you're going to be sheep beware of the slaughtermen.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:07 pm

JUST A QUICK REMINDER FOR TOMORROW :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:49 pm

The Blackleg Miner is a song about the 1844 miners strike in County Durham, it tells you a bit about it here

Owners resort to Eviction

However, as the strike went on, the owners imported blacklegs including men and their families from Wales, Scotland, Cornwall and Ireland to work their pits. The strike lasted from April to August and because of many hardships, not least the practice of eviction of the miners from their homes to provide accommodation for the imported miners, it was finally broken without the owners making any concession.

It’s in the evening after dark
The Blackleg miner goes to work
Wi’ moleskin trousers and his dirty shirt,
There goes the blackleg miner.

He teks his pick and down he goes,
To hew the coal that lies below,
There’s not a woman in this town row
Will look at a black leg miner.

and importing blackleg miners

The returning miners now found themselves working with the blacklegs, and it was at this stage that the bitterness erupted. The peace which had held during the strike was broken by riots and reprisals against the blacklegs, particularly in the areas of Seaton Deleval and Seghill in South East Northumberland.

Deleval is a terrible place,
They rub we clay in a blackleg’s face,
And round the pit heap they run a foot race,
To catch the blackleg miner.

‘in the mines all manner of tricks were played on the incomers in order to punish them. Great numbers of the Welshmen had sons working in the pits as trappers, drivers, putters and hewers, and the boys of the union men never lost a chance of branding them as blacklegs. But it did not stop at that. Fynes reports that ‘these little ones were subject to a great deal of ill usage, such as having clay, candle grease, dirty water and coal dust thrown in their faces, or having their candles knocked out and being left for hours in the dark of the mine.’

and, as Fynes records:

‘The putters had a more miserable time as a more dangerous prank was played on them. The trick was to suspend a rope across the underground railway from one prop to another, letting it swing a little in the middle. As it was used to for the putters to come down at great speed with their heads above the tubs, the rope, hanging down across the tramway, caught them in their faces and often threw them down on their backs.’ The Miners of Northumberland & Durham
by Richard Fynes, 1873

Don’t go near Seghill mine,
Across the way they stretch a line;
To catch the throat and break the spine
Of a dirty blackleg miner.

As for the blackleg hewers:

‘Whenever there was a chance their clothes were stolen away from them out of the working place and they had frequently to go home without any clothes after being hard at work all shift. In some instances their working gear, picks, drills etc were stolen and thrown down into the old workings of Cramlington, Deleval, and Seghill pits.’

We’ll tek yer tools and duds as well,
And hoy them down the pit o’ hell;
Down you go and fare thee well,
Ye dirty blackleg miner.

Eventually the Welshmen found the intimidation unbearable and they gradually moved away. However, one of the Welshmen remained at Seaton Deleval. He had been accused by his fellow Welshmen as being the cause of them coming north, having been bribed by the owners to bring his fellow Welshmen to N and D.

Although he was continually punished and was always regarded with suspicion and distrust, he worked for 20 years at Seaton Deleval Colliery. He must have had a thick skin.

So join the Union while ye may
Don’t wait till your dyin’ day -
For that may not be far away
Ye dirty Blackleg miners!

Notice where the strike breakers came from.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:55 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Make sure you have a few pints in front of you.