Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

ST DAVIDS DAY IN ENGLAND......

Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:24 pm

I work in a very popular Supermarket and my boss has said info has come down that the company are celebrating St Davids day across the UK!!!

I`m sure most stores in England wont bother like they do for St Georges day, but even so my boss has made me sponsor for it........being the only welsh person amongst 330 staff !!!

Any ideas what I can do on the big day???

Hope daffodils are "buy one get one free" like Swansea tickets. :D

Re: ST DAVIDS DAY IN ENGLAND......

Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:34 pm

Its a bit naff, but whenever I have done trade fairs, punters seem to really enjoy bara brith and butter and that sort of thing wouldn't be too difficult to lay out in a store.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:08 pm

LutonBluebird wrote:I work in a very popular Supermarket and my boss has said info has come down that the company are celebrating St Davids day across the UK!!!

I`m sure most stores in England wont bother like they do for St Georges day, but even so my boss has made me sponsor for it........being the only welsh person amongst 330 staff !!!

Any ideas what I can do on the big day???

Hope daffodils are "buy one get one free" like Swansea tickets. :D

They're free if you go to school :lol:

Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:33 pm

welsh cakes, daffodils, leeks, throw some st davids flags up & welsh banners and your away!! :D

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:06 pm

You could promote Welsh produce by asking Head Office to supply a good selection of their best Welsh product lines and group them intelligently in a single display. If they will bear the cost, you can then ask a chef, possibly from Wales, to prepare and display some of the produce at a tasting display. The supermarket may also want to provide some free Welsh recipe cards and ensure that all ingredients are readily available.

If there is a cafe/restaurant within the supermarket, they can also offer Welsh dishes and delicacies.

Forewarning customers that there will be some focus on St. David's Day in the store would also be a good idea. It's not just about the day itself, also the build-up. One assumes that HQ will have this in hand, but you may also want to start stocking the Welsh lines at least one week in advance.

Those products that prove particularly popular can then be added to permanent ranges in the store.

Then there is the issue of the national dress which rarely works. The staff may accept wearing daffodil buttonholes which can look smart if done well, or something similar. Assume that HQ will decide on flags/banners etc.

If background music is permitted, there is a large range of artists to choose from and I would mix it up through the day.

Assuming your management are open to the idea, contact Visit Wales and the Welsh Assembly Government as they may want to jump on the back of the supermarket's investment in St. David's Day and may also offer some useful suggestions/assistance.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:05 pm

Easy mate,

BRAINS SA half price for the day!!!

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:12 pm

Declare the town where the store is, Welsh for the day.

Then go to all the houses owned by English people and burn the buggars down in a Meibion Glyndwr styleeee.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:19 pm

all members of staff, wear , a daffodill, wear some thing red, a prize for the member of staff,,,,, , NICK A BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE OF THE SHELF, with a cardiff city shirt on ? :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:33 pm

St who day? :D

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:38 pm

You could get all of your female colleagues to finger themselves with leeks

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:40 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:St who day? :D

st david, f*cking mental city fan, fucked george up, stuck the cross up his ass, went down bad, always remembered down the city on march 1st :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol: :lol:

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:46 pm

ninianblue wrote:

st david, f*cking mental city fan, fucked george up, stuck the cross up his ass, went down bad, always remembered down the city on march 1st :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:08 pm

ninianblue wrote:

:lol: :lol:

I like it.. :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:16 pm

:lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:19 pm

St David

The only patron saint of the uk countries who was actually born in the country he's patron saint of :D

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:59 pm

Some gr8 ideas, thanks guys.
Uccuelo Azzuri thanks for the thoughts, given me some good ideas

Fingering with Leeks not sure :D but much more interesting than half price Caerphilly cheese which we sell.

Half price SA, i think we sell that to.
I`ll be pissed if no customers will be :D

Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:45 pm

Days special - faggots & peas ? or Clarkie pies ?