Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" WITHOUT DAVE JONES WE WOULDN'T "

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:34 pm

Have had what can only be described as one of the best journeys i've been on.

Yes he struggles at times with Plan b and Plan c etc and yes he has signed some utter Shite players.

BUT and it is a massive BUT. He and his staff and Players past and present have taken us to places we could only dream of.

As a kid going to watch the city with my Echo vouchers playing in the bottom league I was naive and football was just

A GAME AT A TIME.

If we scored i was happy. Win Lose or Draw. Then as i got older i started to understand where we were in DIV 3 and where we once were DIV 1 (PREMIER LEAGUE)

I was in Scunthorpe when we won the league and that was quality. thought it was like winning the FA cup or Top league. TO me we were champions and the best team in the world.

Then season after season highs and lows we always got close. we nearly went out of the league altogether and nearly went BUST.

Then one magic little season and one ANDY CAMBELL we won OUR CUP FINAL.

Playoff games are in Cardiff so it had to be. Lennie Lawrence got us there and though i doubted his decision to not play ainsworth and take off earnie he took us to the Championship.

we have been there for what now seems like an eternity and we are as fans DEMANDING Premier League football. Dave Jones Has whether you like it or not Improved year after year.

We have been to Wembley 3 times. We reached an FA cup FINAL in my lifetime. I waited 25 years since birth, but thats nothing compared to what our older fans. They have seen us going NO where for years and years.

We came as close as we could last season. Yes it was the worst feeling i've experienced football wise, but its done and we didn't do it.

The way it is going with Dave Jones in charge we should come 1st 2nd or 3rd. We have the best squad i've ever seen. We are still in the running with some TERRIBLE performances. We have 4 months left and we have to get behind the Team and The manager. We must also support players like Naylor when he plays. If he's picked he plays. so we have to support him. even if he never plays again this season. there maybe a time when players are injured. He MIGHT have to play in our last game of the season and we might need him to be solid. Remember that.

I doubt many people will read this but if you have taken the time he is a video that NONE of us will forget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0I6HyhJ ... re=related

DAVEY JONES BARMY ARMY :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: WITHOUT DAVE JONES WE WOULDN'T

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:36 pm

the journey was started by sam :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:37 pm

ninianblue wrote:the journey was started by sam :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Yes a very good read, but I have to agree Our Dream and Journey was Started by Sam :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:50 pm

started by sam, finished by jonesy :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

maybe

Who'd a thunk it?

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Yes a very good read, but I have to agree Our Dream and Journey was Started by Sam :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Whilst Sam created some crazy times and it did wake us up and start to believe. Dave Jones as the manager needs to take some credit.

He doesn't get much and at times rightly So. My point is that basically we are stuck with Jones whether some like it or not.

He is improving at a slow rate so we have to support to get us over that finish line that we always fall short of.

I have slagged Jones off in the past and may do again i'm sure.

But as a 9 year old I'm sure i prayed to one day watch Cardiff City at Wembley. My prayers were answered and Dave Jones got us there. Always gonna be big "IFS" like playing Ramsey in the final. Which i thought he should of. but nevertheless he got us there.

IF we do get to the promised land I hope we the fans give him credit.

If we got behind the team with the same passion we slag them off we would be massive.

We need 4 months of constant singing at Home games. Away games are always top notch.

THIS MUST BE OUR YEAR :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 pm

Damned Yank wrote:started by sam, finished by jonesy :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

maybe

Who'd a thunk it?

I WILL ACCEPT THAT ANY TIME :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:55 pm

And me gagsy, I've never seen a manager who is so hot and cold as jones. We get hammered by watford with some inept coaching (IYAM), then he inspires against the jacks and leeds.

It's odd. :eh:

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:57 pm

gagsy_mc wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Whilst Sam created some crazy times and it did wake us up and start to believe. Dave Jones as the manager needs to take some credit.

He doesn't get much and at times rightly So. My point is that basically we are stuck with Jones whether some like it or not.

He is improving at a slow rate so we have to support to get us over that finish line that we always fall short of.

I have slagged Jones off in the past and may do again i'm sure.

But as a 9 year old I'm sure i prayed to one day watch Cardiff City at Wembley. My prayers were answered and Dave Jones got us there. Always gonna be big "IFS" like playing Ramsey in the final. Which i thought he should of. but nevertheless he got us there.

IF we do get to the promised land I hope we the fans give him credit.

If we got behind the team with the same passion we slag them off we would be massive.

We need 4 months of constant singing at Home games. Away games are always top notch.

THIS MUST BE OUR YEAR :ayatollah:

I really hope he proves me wrong :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " WITHOUT DAVE JONES WE WOULDN'T "

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:04 am

I hope he proves us all wrong.

I believe he will.

:ayatollah:

Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:33 am

our dreams and journey was started over 100 years ago cardiff fans have been dreaming and on a up and down journey ever since long time before sam came along anis don't be disrepectful to all the cardiff fans alive and dead who have supported the city for over 100 years.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:32 am

Thin thats fair but a bit harsh to OP. I assume he meant HIS particular journey.

Mine started for example in 1970-71 and goes on and on and on.......... :ayatollah:

This one with Sam Hamman started at home v Blackpool when he paraded that sheep around NP.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:48 am

This journey started in 1899 and wont end till we win premier league (next season) :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:08 pm

I can think of a few managers that are better than Jones and who could have given us better.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:20 pm

I disagree. the football club was around a long time before Sam came along. it will be around a long time after. No one person allows the fans to dream. When we were utter dross back on the 80's and 90's we all had a dream of CCFC rising again. Sam Hammam did not give us that. What Sam did do was take us on when no one else would. Whether we would still be scratching around the bottom if Sam never did is a moot point, plenty of clubs down there with us at that time (Hull, Wigan, Swansea, Fulham) all managed to climb up the ladder, some without the benefit of a benefactor.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:53 pm

That's as may be....but it was almost ENDED by Sam too!!!!

I am impressed at the way Sam 'appears' to be handling the current situation with the club but there is a balance to be had on the assessment of his previous involvement....

I have stated previously that I liked Sam and enjoyed the ride as much as anyone else....but he most certainly did blot his copy book and even the most pro-Sam people should admit that....

Hopefully (and I have changed my opinion, before anyone jumps on the old "you said" bandwagon) Sam can redeem himself and be a part of the glory that surely awaits....just not with a 'hands on' financial input

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:21 pm

I agree with the original post, having been watching Cardiff going to places such as Bury (Relegated to the basement 1990?) and home matches of 3000, we are now a big scalp in the Championship with 23000 most weeks, and if the players only play to their potential, unlike Blackpool last year who over performed,then we'll get there this season.

I remember going to 'Boro because it was a premiership team and was probably going to be the end of our run, but I would argue we have overtaken them now and are a bigger team and you could say that about many other "big" teams too.

You just have to believe! (I Hope) -
Thanks All.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:46 pm

Gerry Hat Trick wrote:I can think of a few managers that are better than Jones and who could have given us better.

Go ahead, then....and be REALISTIC

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:01 pm

Sven Ghali wrote:
Gerry Hat Trick wrote:I can think of a few managers that are better than Jones and who could have given us better.

david hasselhoff??

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:03 pm

Sven Ghali wrote:

You don't even have to go outside the Championship to find a manager who understand tactics and can build a team, some on far far less money than Jones has had at his disposal.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:07 pm

Interesting Debate :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:23 am

IsThatUJohnWayne wrote:
Sven Ghali wrote:

david hasselhoff??

Can't argue with that....at least he'd bring his own Kit!!!!

(One for the oldies :lol: )

:ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol:
:lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:54 am

I'll admit, I did doubt Jonesy a little back in our bad run and I was there to witness the horror of Watford away.

However, I think he has done very well for us, he delivered an FA cup final for us which if isn't enough then I don't see what is. That was a huge achievement and we should have won it.

I'm not gonna lie he does get it wrong at times and has signed a few stinkers but he's been here for a long time and I think its for good reason. Stability is good for a club like ours, I do feel like we're a close knit bunch, a lot of the players of been here a few seasons now. We can't forget that within the last 20 years we've been in the bottom tier, we have produced a lot of quality and have been fortunate to rise up the leagues. I agree with the rest of you that if we fail this season then maybe Dave Jones should leave but I think he would agree with that, we surely can't fail with this squad that HE has assembled. Remember, he has signed these players, if he fails with them, then he will do so, but don't turn your back on him until he has the chance to do so.

I understand all your worries that if we don't go up this season then we could be in a bitta bother next season but have confidence and look at the positives lads.

:ayatollah:

Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:00 am

There are many ways to look at this ;

1: we are in an incredible position the best we have ever been in my lifetime to get to the promised land with a team of players that are the things wet dreams are made of (well except maybe one or two in defence)! Everything is rosie when you look at it like that.

But!

2: we have on paper an inncredible team but if we don't get promoted this season (perish the thought) we will be left with what? No bothroyd, no Bellamy, no JET, no Oli, no Mathews (where has he gone) even no koumas. Then you look at the players who have been affected by these players presence; Whittingham - he has not looked half the player of last season after being displaced from his left wing slot we would struggle IMO to get £1mil for him now, Burke - he is what I consider not being treated very fairly as I would have him on the right ahead of any player in the squad we would struggle to comand £500k! McPhail what ever your thoughts on him you got to admit he was consistent and our better runs over the last few years have been when he is in the team, how will it affect him being displaced? My point is we will have a squad remaining of disgruntled players who are left to pick up the pieces now all the big time charlies have gone. We can't even look to the youth as due to no reserve team we can't even get excited about these youngsters we have cos we aint got a bloody clue how good they are!

Its one hell of a gamble one that I pray we don't lose because we will be up a certain creek without a paddle. But then again could not getting promoted be a good thing? We would lose DJ for sure our wage bill could be controlled a hell of a lot better ok it may take us longer than we would want to get to the promised land but at least we'd be able to play in europe unlike the other clubs who live beyond their means! I think with these new rules UAFA have brought in only two premiership teams (spurs & arsenal) will be eligible in Europe because they don't live beyond there means. Who knows? The only thing I know for certain is that we beat the jacks 1-0!