Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" OUR PITCH NEEDS SORTIN OUT FAST "

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:18 pm

" OUR PITCH NEEDS SORTIN OUT FAST "

Wayne Nash, a year ago said we had one of the best pitches in the league as good or even better than the Jacks and that the Rugby would not affect it one bit. He even reminded that they Won an Award for their pitch so Rugby would be no probs on ours.

Wel lets forget the rugby side of it for the moment. I personally dont believe this pitch could survive the season with Football alone, in some areas its virtually just mud. In other areas there are just sparse areas of grass. To put it blunt Our Pitch is Fucked.
The club say if were promoted they will Buy the lamps etc at a cost of over £300,000.
But if were not then they will try and repair it.

Back to the Rugby, how the hell can that help the pitch.

ITS GOT TO BE SORTED. Bellamy's balls a few times got stuck in it today and it was not even raining.

Re: " OUR PITCH NEEDS SORTIN OUT FAST "

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:23 pm

TOTALLY agree :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
My football clubs pitch is better than that, Bellers was on a run and done a turn and the ball didnt move an inch :shock:
God help us when it rains ...
The club need to do something about this its only going to get worse :shock: :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:23 pm

Forever Blue wrote:" OUR PITCH NEEDS SORTIN OUT FAST "

Wayne Nash, a year ago said we had one of the best pitches in the league as good or even better than the Jacks and that the Rugby would not affect it one bit. He even reminded that they Won an Award for their pitch so Rugby would be no probs on ours.

Wel lets forget the rugby side of it for the moment. I personally dont believe this pitch could survive the season with Football alone, in some areas its virtually just mud. In other areas there are just sparse areas of grass. To put it blunt Our Pitch is Fucked.
The club say if were promoted they will Buy the lamps etc at a cost of over £300,000.

ITS GOT TO BE SORTED. Bellamy's balls a few times got stuck in it today and it was not even raining.

I know bellers is a short arse but if his bollocks are dragging in the mud he needs to either empty them or get on the growth hormones :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:25 pm

Spot on Annis, but will be slated for agreeing with you if tonights posts are anything to go by.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:27 pm

ccfc-louis wrote:TOTALLY agree :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
My football clubs pitch is better than that, Bellers was on a run and done a turn and the ball didnt move an inch :shock:
God help us when it rains ...
The club need to do something about this its only going to get worse :shock: :ayatollah:

Thats what I saw as well,plus on a few more occasions it got stuck when passing it, you could say well both teams have to use it, but in my opinion it does not suit the quality of players we have.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:28 pm

GLASCOEDBLUE wrote:Spot on Annis, but will be slated for agreeing with you if tonights posts are anything to go by.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:31 pm

Ok lets calm it down, People say things in the heat of the moment :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:36 pm

We play a passing game the majority of the time and if we cant play 5 yard passes due to the pitch then we're falling at the first hurdle

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:09 am

Needs addressing urgently. It stopped us from playing fluently on a few occasions today

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:23 am

couldnt agre more annis! A pitch like that takes a lot of our teams strenghs away, could even jeperdise our promtion push, its a great helper for teams coming to shut us out or sneak a win i worry about us more playin at home than i do away because of that pitch!

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:28 am

A very good point was raised on CCMB, the shiny new scoreboard in the Canton... surely some of the money for that could've gone on pitch lighting/maintenance??

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:29 am

Annis totally agree, the pitch hindered the team today particularly Bellamy when he was running with the ball.

I also know that the club don't have the money to buy the lights the pitch obviously needs.

However as a short term measure do you know if the club have spoken to the millennium stadium about borrowing/renting theirs? Wembley have borrowed Arsenal's before, so they can be transported easily enough. Surely that would be a quick fix solution?

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:38 am

Annis, it was suggested to me today that there is an 'agreement' with Les Bleus that they will vacate the stadium if/when we are promoted to the Premiership....

I find that very hard to believe, as a long-term council-backed tenancy agreement appears to be in place....

Are you able to confirm/deny such an 'agreement' exists?? (Wouldn't mind if it was mind :lol: )

Cheers,

Sven :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:43 am

I don't think it's down to rugby but it can't help, them again they pay a good amout to play here.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:51 am

arrived early yesterday and when the sun was shining onto it, this really highlighted the lack of grass.
looked really bad in front of 116,117, ninian stand.
i believe the pitch took a turn for the worse when the egg played a friday night game after a week of torrential rain during mid jan.
cant believe we will not purchase the required lighting for next year.
this pitch must be one of the worst in the fl.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:10 am

I can understand (if not be happy) that the grass could thin out due to lack of light and a bit of rugby.

What annoys me is that the surface can be so uneven. Get a friggin heavy roller and compress the shit out of that thing. I assume it's down to the shallowness of the top soil/sand.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:09 am

alfie sherwood wrote:

I know bellers is a short arse but if his bollocks are dragging in the mud he needs to either empty them or get on the growth hormones :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I knew I had put my foot in it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:10 am

DaveSheffield wrote:A very good point was raised on CCMB, the shiny new scoreboard in the Canton... surely some of the money for that could've gone on pitch lighting/maintenance??

Dave, Your right it should of and the pitch is much more important.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:11 am

Stavross wrote:Annis totally agree, the pitch hindered the team today particularly Bellamy when he was running with the ball.

I also know that the club don't have the money to buy the lights the pitch obviously needs.

However as a short term measure do you know if the club have spoken to the millennium stadium about borrowing/renting theirs? Wembley have borrowed Arsenal's before, so they can be transported easily enough. Surely that would be a quick fix solution?

No they havent at the moment, but maybe they should.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:12 am

2blue2handle wrote:I don't think it's down to rugby but it can't help, them again they pay a good amout to play here.

Luke, read my post I never said it was, I said at the end of my post and Rugby does not help it.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:12 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35555&sid=576eca01ee64e76ecb7b4ede74bfd7b2#p328613
Just an idea, it might be a bit late for this season tho.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:01 pm

It looks like the club rents the pitch out as allotments when there's no match on.

I dread to think what will happen when/if we have very bad weather in the weeks ahead

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:04 pm

Is there anything that can be done at this late stage?

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:19 pm

That's why we bought Jon Parkin.
Cheaper than relaying the pitch or buying solar lights.
Lob the ball straight up to him and Jay. :D

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:23 pm

Whilst I do not disagree Annis, the pitch actually looked it's best for a long time ( viewed from the family stand anyway ).

Seriously it looked a lush green all over but I wont disagree with you as I was shocked how bad it was when I came into the Ninian stand for the Stoke replay.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:40 pm

When judging player performances at home, the state of the pitch needs to be taken into account.

Similarly, we all concern ourselves with new signings and how these may add to our team's competitiveness. Perhaps we are now realising how a sub-standard pitch is fast becoming a major bogeyman in our push for promotion.

You don't need to be a professional footballer to appreciate how the quality of play can be undermined by a sub-standard pitch. We have Ferraris in our team and are expecting them to operate in off-road conditions. We now have a ridiculous state of affairs where our players will probably play better football away. One suspects that Scunthorpe could not believe their luck when they saw how our first class team and home ground advantages were greatly undermined by the general state of the pitch.

How we are unable to find c.£300K for pitch lights with all the other spending is beyond me. There can be savings in pitch maintenance from using such lights although one suspects that turf replacement costs are not at the forefront of the mind of the accountant overseeing our finances. It must be soul destroying for our head groundsman and his team as there is very little they can do to rescue the situation.

Listen to Wenger and how he criticises some pitches when Arsenal play away. There is a reason for this. His team's ability and style take great advantage from high quality pitches. This is also why Arsenal put so much effort into their pitch and why Paul Burgess was headhunted to Real Madrid.

This is one area where we must show due deference to Swansea and the Liberty Stadium.

http://www.thefa.com/GetIntoFootball/Fa ... 9/GOTY2009

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... eal-madrid

http://www.realmadrid.com/cs/Satellite/ ... urgess.htm

http://www.pitchcare.com/magazine/light ... inter.html

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:40 pm

Bellamy was struggling to control the ball the way it was bobbling down the pitch.

It's costing us chances.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:09 pm

DaveSheffield wrote:A very good point was raised on CCMB, the shiny new scoreboard in the Canton... surely some of the money for that could've gone on pitch lighting/maintenance??

That was me. Given its rapid deterioration and past experience, I find it staggering that the pitch would not be the no.1 concern when making capital investments or accepting donations. This is becoming such a talking point, a sponsor might get a fair amount of mileage from digging in their pocket for some pitch light rigs.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:23 pm

Just curious, but are the lights the same type used for growing weed?? Next time there's a big bust on a draw factory, get down there and offer the police some cash for the lights!! Do you think they auction them off anyway?

Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:32 pm

agree with you annis few players mite get bad injuries aswell ( from studs getting stuck in the muddy pitch) if it hammers down like it is today and keep going until tuesday its gonna be a mud bath :shock: :cry: