Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Best Sports Films and Books

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:41 am

I've read and seen some cracking sports films and books lately which aernt that well known in this country which I thought some on the forum may enjoy!

The book Moneyball by Michael Lewis is an amazing book which is about to be turned into a film starring Brad Pitt. It concerns the Oakland Athletics baseball revoltionising their transfer strategy by using stats (i.e. pro zone) and in the process becoming one of the best teams in baseball with one of the smallest budgets! The manager, Billy Beane, is now trying to use his strategy with stats in football in the UK and the top managers in Europe recently attended a conference he gave in London! Very very interesting book!

A film which I love that is not well known over here is called Rudy. Its a true story about a guy with no academic or athletic background who worships Notre Dame Football team and who gives up everything to make his dream come true, attend Notre Dame to study and play for the team. Its an incredible story which really moved me!

Anyone else read or seen any great sports books/films recently that we should check out?

Re: Best Sports Films and Books

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:53 am

The film Any Given Sunday is a cracking film by Oliver Stone. Some brilliant cinematography in it. Plus, the strong cast includes Al Pacino, Jamie Foxx, Cameron Diaz and Ed Woods amongst others.

The Miracle of Castel di Sangro is also a great read for a book. It's about this American journalist who travelled to Italy to follow the Serie B team Castel di Sangro whose team was wiped out during the war so they had to start again from scratch.