Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: What was the 1st group you ever seen live

Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Super Furry Animals when I was 12. 8-)

Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:49 pm

nobber wrote:The Rolling Stones at the Capitol Theatre in 1965, I think. :old: :?

Just checked, it was 1964, Ike and Tina Turner were on the same bill, also remember seeing Jimmy Hendrix at Sophia Gardens Pavilion in 1967, those were great nights. :old: :P

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:00 pm

nobber wrote:
nobber wrote:The Rolling Stones at the Capitol Theatre in 1965, I think. :old: :?

Just checked, it was 1964, Ike and Tina Turner were on the same bill, also remember seeing Jimmy Hendrix at Sophia Gardens Pavilion in 1967, those were great nights. :old: :P

I'm getting old and forgetful, google is a marvellous thing, the Stones was in 1966. :oops:

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:09 pm

Crass up in the valleys in 1984 (Aberdare). It was their last gig. I was 16 and hitched back to swansea.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:41 pm

AC/DC, The Stranglers & The Who at wembley stadium 1979.Three brilliant bands all on the same bill, first sight of a band & it was Angus Young doing the duck walk with Bon Scott blasting out Whole lotta Rosie, class. :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:57 pm

the jam 1979

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:57 pm

i believe mine was with a works outing (gentle folk jeans) brotherhood of man in a well known caerphilly hot spot, you know the one annis ;)

Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:23 pm

the jam avan lido :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:33 pm

The Premier 1 wrote:i believe mine was with a works outing (gentle folk jeans) brotherhood of man in a well known caerphilly hot spot, you know the one annis ;)

Didn't they make those jeans in Trefforest?

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:41 pm

Wheatus, at the grand old age of about 9!

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:45 pm

showaddywaddy colstan hall bristol 1979

shakin stevens 1980'ish

a proper teddy boy me :lol:

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:19 pm

Kasabian at the CIA

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:22 pm

The Stranglers.

Bristol - 1977

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:25 pm

the shamen, 1990 ish, newport centre. top night, i was only 13 and off my face :P :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:32 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:
The Premier 1 wrote:i believe mine was with a works outing (gentle folk jeans) brotherhood of man in a well known caerphilly hot spot, you know the one annis ;)

yes rick first in a house in canton, then seven rd canton then treforest ind est, thats where i worked
apprentice sewing machine merchanic :shock:

top clobber of the 70's n early 80's had a shop in town called bona toggs

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:43 pm

The Clash, Lyceum Ballroom, October 1981, Sandanista Tour. Three hours on stage including a Mikey Dread interlude! still half deaf to this day! Great memories of an angry Joe Strummer RIP.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:10 am

I was more of a raver growing up so tended to go and watch DJs. I do however remember seeing The Prodigy do a 'live' set at Astoria in Cardiff in 1994. They were supported by Top Buzz and Pablo P I think...

Funnily enough I happened to see them at The Big Day Out (an Aussie music festival) in 2009 and was chatting to some 18 year olds who didn't believe me that the last time I saw them was 15 years ago! :old:

Anyone else who used to go raving around that time might remember Easygroove? Apparently he liked the crack pipe a bit too much and ended up selling his vinyl to fund his habit. He is now back DJing again and can be hired for 200 quid!

Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:37 am

bluebirds over.... wrote:AC/DC, The Stranglers & The Who at wembley stadium 1979.Three brilliant bands all on the same bill, first sight of a band & it was Angus Young doing the duck walk with Bon Scott blasting out Whole lotta Rosie, class. :ayatollah:

Wow what an all in one mate.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:35 am

Big Audio Dynamite in the Top Rank in '86(ish)

Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:03 am

Groundhogs, 1970's, check out the album SPLIT, sheer class :old:

Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:45 am

Love Sculpture up Llandaff Tech circa 1968

Fecking amazing

Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:51 am

The Premier 1 wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:

yes rick first in a house in canton, then seven rd canton then treforest ind est, thats where i worked
apprentice sewing machine merchanic :shock:

top clobber of the 70's n early 80's had a shop in town called bona toggs

I remember those jeans well, late 70's it seemed everyone was wearing a pair, then after a while, they just dissapeared of the face of the earth. What happened to that brand?

Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:02 pm

STEPS....... There again it might have been Siouxsie & the banshees in 1980.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:46 pm

bob marley ninian park football ground think it was 1974 or 1975

Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Sammorgz, yeah it was one hell of a line up & unusual to have two acts like that has special guests, first up was AC/DC with Bon Scott on vocals, followed by the Stranglers who were also top drawer.Most bands would struggle to top those two but credit to Daltrey & co they were outstanding.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:48 pm

Motorhead 1980 in Sophia Gardens.............My ears rang for three days, Ace of Spades tour

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:44 pm

the finest live band ever bar none. FACT

SLADEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Get yer fukin boots on and get down and get with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7XEjl5GNS8

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:56 pm

the hollies in 66.weymouth pavillion on the pier :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:00 pm

the first group was slf,mind they were supporting the jam which were the group i went to see great in there german punksand army mods i was 12 in 1979 in dortmund germany

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:19 pm

i am sure it was the rejects, but possibly may have meen the boomtown rats, my mind was a blur at that stage of my life :ayatollah: