Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" JAY/WHITTINGHAM/KOUMAS ALL NOT UP TO SCRATCH "

Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:51 am

" JAY/WHITTINGHAM/KOUMAS ALL NOT UP TO SCRATCH "

My Opinion
Jay in the last 3 games including The Jacks game has not been performing, since No one came in for him he has had a loss of form and personally I feel he has contributed very little. Parkin should of come on just after half time.

Whittingham, Just not the same this Season and The jacks game, The worst player on the pitch, last night, he huffed and puffed and I feel is No where near his True form.

Koumas, I know a lot Raved about him v Struggling Scunthorpe, Personally I feel he is finished and its a Shame, as Koumas was one of my Favourite players.

If only We had a Reserve team for our Players, think how does Players like Parkin etc keep match fit ?

2 pts Dropped, But undefeated, Pressure on us to Now Win at Forest.

WHY CANT WE FINISH TEAMS OFF WITH THE BEST FIRE POWER IN THIS DIVISION ?

DIABOLICAL THE ATMOSPHERE LAST NIGHT, OUR 3,000 GOING TO FOREST WILL MAKE 10 TIMES THAT PATHETIC NOISE.

FOREST HERE WE COME, 3,000 CARDIFF FANS SPURRING THEM ON TO VICTORY :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

BUT I HAVE TO SAY

HUDSON HAS IN THE LAST FEW GAMES BEEN OUTSTANDING :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

ONWARDS and UPWARDS :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " JAY/WHITTINGHAM/KOUMAS ALL NOT UP TO SCRATCH "

Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:58 am

jay is shocking of late to lafargic for my liking MR A .... :oops: gutted two points dropped

Cant stand the stadium at moment ... old fashioned songs when sung sounds like a bunch of muppets
two quiet for to long - should be backing team now for the big push for premiership whats wrong with these plastic fans ! :ayatollah:

DJ what goes through his mind ! :?:

Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:59 am

Forever Blue wrote:" JAY/WHITTINGHAM/KOUMAS ALL NOT UP TO SCRATCH "

My Opinion
Jay in the last 3 games including The Jacks game has not been performing, since No one came in for him he has had a loss of form and personally I feel he has contributed very little. Parkin should of come on just after half time.

Whittingham, Just not the same this Season and The jacks game, The worst player on the pitch, last night, he huffed and puffed and I feel is No where near his True form.

Koumas, I know a lot Raved about him v Struggling Scunthorpe, Personally I feel he is finished and its a Shame, as Koumas was one of my Favourite players.

If only We had a Reserve team for our Players, think how does Players like Parkin etc keep match fit ?

DIABOLICAL THE ATMOSPHERE LAST NIGHT, OUR 3,000 GOING TO FOREST WILL MAKE 10 TIMES THAT PATHETIC NOISE.

FOREST HERE WE COME, 3,000 CARDIFF FANS SPURRING THEM ON TO VICTORY :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I agree a very disappointing performance last night from the team and yes some individual players, but as usual our manager with the riches his has changed only like for like within our formation.

Why have the quality and variety we have in our squad when you stick to a way of playing 4-4-2 that so clearly wasn't working last night. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:00 am

mallo wrote:jay is shocking of late to lafargic for my liking MR A .... :oops: gutted two points dropped

Cant stand the stadium at moment ... old fashioned songs when sung sounds like a bunch of muppets
two quiet for to long - should be backing team now for the big push for premiership whats wrong with these plastic fans ! :ayatollah:

DJ what goes through his mind ! :?:

Mallo, Spot on about both your comments. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Regarding DJ, I cant answer it, I know he has got his hans stuck in his pockets with a hole at the end :lol:

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:14 am

It feels like one step forward 2 steps back. Last night going into the last 10 minutes I said to a colleague we will be lucky to hang on to our lead. I've kpet quiet lately about the team in the hope that things will turn around. Yes we have had a run of unbeaten games but lets be honest we have not been that dominating have we.

Last noght we stepped off the gas and were lucky in the end to come away with anything. I'm just hoping now we can get the gas pumping again but my fear is the gas has run out.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:15 am

It's strange how some players always seem to cop a bit of criticism whereas others get away with it.

Jay and Whitts didn't have their best games but Whitts did seem to be the one looking for the killer ball and trying to create, it just didn't come off but defensively he was sound. Jay hasn't been the same since his 7-8 week lay off but he'll be back.

Koumas did OK and is certainly looking brighter in the last couple of games.

Burke is a crowd favourite but what did he contribute last night ? He ran at the full back and then gave the ball away on numerous occassions. Similarly, Blake gave the ball away virtually constantly when he came on yet cops no criticism because he's a "Cardiff boy".

Ramsey looked great for the first hour but after that he could hardly move and that's why Burnley took control of CM as Oli was running around trying to cover. That's a bad thing for us last night but I do wonder whether the Ramsey loan may be extended by Wenger because he is clearly nowhere near the general fitness level that will be required in the Prem , Champions League, etc.

Last season the whipping boy was Hudson (quite rightly so !!) but this season if everyone was playing at his level we would be a few points clear at the top and he just seems to be getting better.

At the end we were probably lucky to get away with a point but we all know that back a months or so ago we would have lost that so we do seem to have sorted out the fragile defence. I'm still looking forward to the trip to Forest as I think we may see a different performance on Saturday :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:23 am

yes I agree with all the above PLUS I would add Burke to the list ................ why did DJ take off Chops for Bellamy ?? I would have swapped Bellamy for Whitts , JET for Burke and Parkin for Bothroyd ! Was Quinn injured ? Saturday is now another game that City simply CANT afford to lose so its another Swansea scenario again hopefully come away with the same result ........ then Leicester home on Tues be another tough game :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:23 am

i agree with most points made so far, apart from why jonesy didnt change from 4-4-2. He wanted the win, if he had changed to 4-5-1 he would have been slammed for it.....i can imagine the quotes now "why change from what we know" "we always play better at 4-4-2" but what i will say is the subs where made in the 77th min and we went 4-5-1 until 83 when they scored....jay was out wide left, so he did try to sure things up. The players looked very tired and i blame the pitch, in that state i bets its very heavy, but both teams have to deal with that! Ive been saying for months about whitts, but everytime he has a shocker and his place is under threat he pops up with some awesome pass to set up a goal. Jay, enough said. Hudson, WOW again. I disagree about burke last night, he ran at them and gave them problems when he was on and is lacking that bit of confidence. For me, burnley where the best team down CCS this season, their movement from the front players and their overloading on the flanks by their fullbacks was outstanding, plus their delivery of crosses was more often than not spot on. 2 points lost.....yes as it was at home, but this burnley team since EH took over are bang in form and i have no doubts next season they will be there or thereabouts, thats if they dont make playoffs this season (i think they will) :ayatollah:
Last edited by CraigCCFC on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:26 am

I posted yesterday Annis, it was a game to unleash the Beast. They
are big lumps at the back and we needed a physycal presence. He's been brought to the club so USE him!

Although he started with Bothroyd, half time would have ben ideal to
change things.

We wanted another man in midfield to stop Eagles playing, again
Mr Jones let the game drift. Yes we 'almost' beat them but not
good enough when you are the home team. We should have pushed on 2nd
half but to be frank it was awful.

Bellars should have been rested completely last night and is totally wasted
playing through the middle.

If fans can see it AGAIN I repeat why can't the manager and staff?

:ayatollah:

P.S. Ref was terrible they should have been down to 10 2nd half- Bottler!

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:28 am

problem with bellamy is he doesnt track back! people go on about his work rate....yes he works hard, but only in their third of the pitch, he very often leaves the left back exposed! and the way burnley were overloading their fullbacks it was the right call. Bellamys pace up front was perfect to hit them on the counter.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:33 am

IsThatUJohnWayne wrote:problem with bellamy is he doesnt track back! people go on about his work rate....yes he works hard, but only in their third of the pitch, he very often leaves the left back exposed! and the way burnley were overloading their fullbacks it was the right call. Bellamys pace up front was perfect to hit them on the counter.

if City had a good enough midfield then Jones could go 433 and use Bellamy better ....... BUT we havnt and he wont ! Burke wasnt himself last night and altho he tracked back he wandered away too often exposing Quinn plus his tackles were way off the mark and too soft ................. going forward I wish he'd shoot more . Bothroyd shud have gone off BUT knowing Jones he'd have brought on JET and NOT Parkin :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:46 am

Apologies for repeating myself, but I'm afraid it is going to be DJ that will cost us automatic promotion and god knows what could happen in the lottery of the play offs. His decision making is appalling. I am no manager like the 000's of city fans but we have been watching the game long enough to know where the weak links are and if we can see it why can't Jones. Last night we could not contain the passing game of Burnley and I'm afraid after watching forest against QPR last weekend they play a similar style and managed to contain QPR with just 10 men.

OK a point would have been acceptable earlier in the season but with forest in a very good position and two games in hand one against a poor side in Scunthorpe tonight, the gap could become to much to breach especially if we bottle it at forest. Why oh why did we not have players on the post last night especially as there was only 7 mins left. If Hudson hadn't had found form (and thank god he did) we could have been on the wrong end of results over the past 4 games. To me the team is extremely talented but something is not clicking and it is DJ's job to rectify that which he has not. We are not clinical enough in front of goal!

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:46 am

the thing that gets to me is the way our whole team presses when we havent got the ball.

if 1 goes to press so should the whole team ....... but we dont

we only seem to try and tackle when the opposition get to our penalty box :o

think jones needs to work on when we havent got the ball if im honest. but tlast night might be a very good point at the end of season

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:00 am

Regarding the atmosphere i stand behind the goals in the Canton and i feel in the last few home games the atmosphere has got better it seems to me that the Ninian stand is not contributing to the atmosphere has much as they could do then come on here moaning about it :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:21 am

That Burnley goal was a shocker.

I noticed that Burke was marking the near post for corners but when he went off and Koumas came on there seemed to be confusion as to who should be defending where on the near post. Before they had sorted it the ball was in the net.

Nevertheless we still about a 3 players around that near post, unfortunately all sleeping.

One other thing is that in the second half Wallace was putting in left foot inswinging corners, which we defended well.
The corner immediately before the goal they swapped it and Eagles put in a right foot outswinging corner
Then for the corner that the goal came from wallace took it again.

Surely we should have known roughly where it was going, especially with Thommo positioned at the near post.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:22 am

Shouldn't we be discussing the appauling marking at that corner and the needless giving away of that corner in the first place? If Thompson hadn't been given free range to nod home we would have won another scrappy game 1-0 at a vital time of the season.

Burnley played well in parts but without a gift I really couldn't see them scoring.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:42 am

Yes they were bad, but the worst on the pitch last night was the ref and the linesmen, gave about 3 offsides against chops when it was directly from the goalkick, which you can't be offside...useless

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 398869.stm

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:45 am

To be honest I dont think Koumas was on long enough to make much of an impacked but Whitts was crap.
He was on the wing but never even try to make runs down the wing,as soon as he got the ball he would just look to shoot long balls to the front or pass it across field. I dont think I seen him make one run and use the wing as he should have. As for Jay every time he had the ball there were 2 guys on him like a shot out of a gun, jay is the kind of player that needs a little time on the ball when he first gets it and he really needs to fight for the ball more when another player is on him ,not just drop to the floor and try get the ball that way.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:51 am

I have just listened to DJ post match interviews and taking away his excuses, bad pitch and poor referee both of which are fair points, he talks about our inability to keep possession in the last 20 minutes.

Besides the first 20 minutes where we looked that we might score a few goals Burnley got to grips with the game and pretty much bossed the game from that point. Having said that besides the shot Jay blocked right on halftime it always looked more likely a set piece would undo us and it did.

For about an hour of that game Burnley controlled the midfield and pretty much cut out any quality ball to our 2 forwards, Jay had another torrid time from the two CB and got little protection from a very poor referee. The point where he sent MacNaughton to the touchline after treatment but was leaving Mears on the field was unbelievable, also not giving Marney a second yellow card when he tripped MacNaughton when he broke through we good examples of just how bad this guy was. Add that to him not allowing advantage when we were breaking on them on at least 3 occasions didn't help our cause.

But I will go back and ask why did our manager not deal with the fact that we couldn't get a grip of the midfield, why did he only make like for like changes within a 4-4-2 . We needed someone to help us get control of the ball surely McPhail was the man for the job and although some say DJ wanted to win the game sometimes it's better to keep what you have and not try and get more. McPhail for Chopra was the move and go like for like with them.

Thats a manager doing his job and last night IMO our manager was found wanting again. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:52 am

Forever Blue wrote:" JAY/WHITTINGHAM/KOUMAS ALL NOT UP TO SCRATCH "

My Opinion

WHY CANT WE FINISH TEAMS OFF WITH THE BEST FIRE POWER IN THIS DIVISION ?

Annis, correct fella 3000 city rocking the boys on saturday. Id take a draw, lets just get Feb out of the way :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:57 am

Just one more thing I think we have to remember that Jay may not have scored last night, but he did save us at the point of half time when he took the ball full in the face.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:21 am

I agree that jay is not performing maybe id will do him good to get droped because it looks like he thinks he cant be replaced at the moment and parkin is a good and different option for us at forrest :P :P

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:36 am

Whittigham has been shocking for a long time now, no effort at all ,so bad that his kit hasn't had to be cleaned in ages

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:43 am

Hasn't Jay had two assists in the last two games ?

Koumas is crap, always looking for the Hollywood ball usually cross field .

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:54 am

Pk
piledriver64 wrote:It's strange how some players always seem to cop a bit of criticism whereas others get away with it.

Jay and Whitts didn't have their best games but Whitts did seem to be the one looking for the killer ball and trying to create, it just didn't come off but defensively he was sound. Jay hasn't been the same since his 7-8 week lay off but he'll be back.

Koumas did OK and is certainly looking brighter in the last couple of games.

Burke is a crowd favourite but what did he contribute last night ? He ran at the full back and then gave the ball away on numerous occassions. Similarly, Blake gave the ball away virtually constantly when he came on yet cops no criticism because he's a "Cardiff boy".

Ramsey looked great for the first hour but after that he could hardly move and that's why Burnley took control of CM as Oli was running around trying to cover. That's a bad thing for us last night but I do wonder whether the Ramsey loan may be extended by Wenger because he is clearly nowhere near the general fitness level that will be required in the Prem , Champions League, etc.

Last season the whipping boy was Hudson (quite rightly so !!) but this season if everyone was playing at his level we would be a few points clear at the top and he just seems to be getting better.

At the end we were probably lucky to get away with a point but we all know that back a months or so ago we would have lost that so we do seem to have sorted out the fragile defence. I'm still looking forward to the trip to Forest as I think we may see a different performance on Saturday :ayatollah:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Jay's body language makes it look like he is not interested at the moment - I'm not sure that is the case and he did set up the goal last night.
Whitts worked hard defensively last night, but seemed shattered for the last 15 mins.
Koumas came on when Burnley were controlling possession so it was unfair to judge him on that. At least he appeared to be up for it even if he couldn't perform as he wanted.

I felt that in general it was a good performance last night, their goal apart. Defensively we have looked much more solid over the last 3 matches. Burnley are s team very much on the top of their game at the moment and we nearly beat them.

Keep the faith - a win at Forest and everything will ne put right again!

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:00 am

Don't care what Whitts has done in the past, this season he has been inept bar one or two small contributions.

Bothroyd looks lethargic at the best of times, but still makes contribution "sometimes". Not last night. Uninterested in 2nd half, unacceptable in such a battle.

I don't even have to say anything about Koumas :(

Bothroyd is salvageable. Koumas I don't know.

The fact that Whittingham has been very poor, EVEN when the rest of the team have played well, would lead me to assume he's not upto it

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:47 am

Last night with 20 minutes to go i would have put Bellamy on for Whittingham, Parkin on for Bothroyd and possibly Jet on for Oli with orders to track and stop their midfield runners.

With regards Bothroyd if he's not performing for whatever reason then we need to use Parkin but i get the feeling that DJ is reluctant to sustitute Bothroyd in case it dents his confidence which seems fragile at the moment. Personally I would start Bothroyd on Saturday with orders to pull his finger out and start performing and if he doesn't then i would bring Parkin on at Half Time.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:57 am

Jay is still not fully fit from injury. Yes he is not at his best, but he set up both goals against Scunny and Burnley.
Whittingham needs a goal for confidence. He didn't have the best of games last night, but surely all of you didn't think he'd have another 24-goal season? Saying Whitts has been crap this season is stupid, he's got a numerous amount of assists and has gained us vital points.
Koumas hasn't really done anything to justify his wages. Past his best, he's shown a couple of times he's a good player (reading away, scunny home and away). Maybe if he played a more central position he might be more effective.
Some of you on here are all doom and gloom.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Gutted that we dropped 2 points last last. The presure is on us now big time. 1st half we played really well. Dont know what DJ said at half time,but it had a negative effect on the players. We were shit 2nd half. As for " JAY/WHITTINGHAM/KOUMAS " JUST NOT UP TO SCRATCH " they are CCFC players and we got to support and back them till the season is over. Win,Lose or Draw. Premiership,Championship,Div 1 or 2 whatever league we play in,I will be there. Bluebird till I die.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:53 pm

I posted this yesterday about John Parkins 1st start this season for PNE...He scored against....Burnley.
What i would like to add is...His next game was against Nottm Forest and...He scored against them ;)
Ok PNE LOST Both of thosed games but those defences could not stop him from scoring.

Chops and Quinn both came off with what looked like knocks/injuries,So as we know he would go with a like for like replacement. (4-4-2 ).

Blake i can understand but why Risk getting our/1 of Main player injured when 1-0 up and before our "big game" v Forest. :o
When we have someone in Parkin who has caused problems this season to Burnley and can hold the ball up ;)