Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City waste Aaron Ramsey

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:30 pm

Cardiff City don't utilise Aaron Ramsey's full ability.
http://thehalftimeorange.wordpress.com/ ... y-cardiff/

Re: Cardiff City waste Aaron Ramsey

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:46 pm

well we havent got the side around he that he has at Arsenal

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Sorry but have to disagree with you. He has a free role in midfield, picking up the ball and bringing players into the game. he made some lovely little touches and nearly got Chops in on a couple of occasions

If you were there last night you would have seen that it was his fitness that was lacking, hardly a surprise, as that is why we have him.

There are times when the defence has got to belt it out, wish we would do it more at times, rather than try and play our way out

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:47 pm

The Half Time Orange wrote:Cardiff City don't utilise Aaron Ramsey's full ability.

I would mention the home pitch as it is extremely relevant to how we play. Hopefully, Forest's pitch will be suitably prepared to allow our team to express its undoubted competitive strengths.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:21 pm

But, if you have a player of Ramsey’s calibre in your starting 11, firing balls into the corners won’t utilise his talent and skill.

No. However, it will bring players of the calibre of Bellamy, Burke and JET into play, who in turn are good enough to bring Ramsey into play.

I make no apologies for saying that that blog post is laced throughout with a disappointing amount of negativity.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:01 pm

That's the problem with everyone and their son having a blog.

Pontificate, well, garbage.

Newport County fan no doubt believes everything was long ball. I mean, let's ignore the fact Rambo dropped deeper to act as playmaker. Whitts did that before effectively enough.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:03 pm

The Half Time Orange wrote:Cardiff City don't utilise Aaron Ramsey's full ability.

You should go into football management.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:16 pm

bopman,
Thanks for the comment. I agree Ramsey did create some openings on Tuesday night, I wasn't trying to suggest he was ineffective, or had a below par game. I was simply saying there is so much more he can do if the balls didn't just sail into the corner, (chased by Chops), but either ending up in Grant's hands, or going out of play.

I was indeed at the game, and I know he isn't fully fit. But that doesn't really have anything to do with the point I was getting out about not using him to full effect.

As I mentioned in the post, I am old fashioned, so I agree that the "away it goes" mentality provides for much safer, worry-free football. But again, the whole time the ball is just lumped up-field, Ramsey doesn't get a chance to be involved.

I appreciate the feedback. Keep reading...

Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:21 pm

DaveSheffield,
I understand what you're saying. But when Bellamy and JET aren't actually on the field, that argument falls down a little bit. I thought Burkey had a fairly sound game on Tuesday, and as I keep trying to stress, I wasn't suggesting the style Cardiff play competely neuters Ramsey. He just isn't being used to full effect.

Apologies for negativity, if you glance back at some of my previous Cardiff posts on the blog, I have shown my clear excitement that the Bluebirds have the best chance ever to clinch promotion. Yet, once again, there has been this inevitable mid-season slump, which I thought might have been avoided this year. Post was meant to be frustrated, not negative.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:27 pm

nerd,
Thanks for the comment nerd. I agree, Ramsey did track back well and cover. But is that really the most effectve use of his ability? Whits also got back well on Tuesday night to support the defence, as you pointed out.

My suggestion would be for someone to have a word with Olofinjana and stop him bombing forward from holding midfield. If he actually did his job properly players with the attacking quality of Ramsey wouldn't need to bust a gut getting back the whole time.

And just for the record, I'm not a Newport fan. My blog looks at all South Wales football. So that means I occasionally have to post about County or the Welsh Prem.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:08 pm

The Half Time Orange wrote:nerd,
Thanks for the comment nerd. I agree, Ramsey did track back well and cover. But is that really the most effectve use of his ability? Whits also got back well on Tuesday night to support the defence, as you pointed out.

I didn't say Ramsey was "tracking back well and covering".
I pointed out he dropped deep to act as playmaker.
Get the ball, in time and space, to launch attacks.

Which is a tactic DJ has used a fair bit, especially when Whitts was in central midfield - get the skill players on the ball deeper, where there's less pressure on them from the opposition, use their vision to start attacks.

Which is completely, totally and utterly different from "tracking back and covering"... it's all about giving your skill players the time and space.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:52 pm

Apologies Nerd,
Have to confess I was in a bit of a hurry earlier on when I replied to the comments. Misunderstood you.

But there seems to be some illusion from yourself and one or two others that I was suggesting Ramsey had a bad game and wasn't involved with any attacking moves. I fully understand it makes sense getting quality players like Whits and Ramsey on the ball in deep positions to orchestrate a move. Whits in particular, with his delivery being one of the best in the division.

To be perfectly honest, I just got rather frustrated on Tuesday night, with so many attacks falling flat when Both or Chops couldn't get on the end of a ball. You don't have to always play kick and run football when options like Ramsey are available. I know he's only one player, and changing Cardiff's entire style just to suit Ramsey is a bit ridiculous. But it was just a thought. "Hoof and chase" clearly didn't work on Tuesday, it ended up in quite an unconvincing draw...

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:11 pm

anyone can have free role when the ball goes over your head

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:14 pm

Hes wasted at homd playing on that pitch of ours along with a lot of our other players lol