Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Match report Forest v Cardiff 20/0211 "

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:58 am

To see your home city invade your resident city always is a pleasure. To have like minded minds amongst your midst is a refreshing change to the weekly banter of your opponents. Today game against Nottingham Forest is one I really look forward to and put it on the same par as the Jacks game. So today was the one I really wanted to win. Today has turned out to be a difficult one to accept.

Over 3000 Cardiff made the trip to the Midlands with around a 100 of them ending up in one of my locals. I hope everyone enjoyed the brief stay there and I would like to thank everyone for their good behaviour, you were a credit to the club. I apologise for the run into the ground, the road through Clifton (A453) to the City Ground is not the most practical but believe me it is one of the quickest.

Once in the ground I was surprised to see how packed the away stand was. The block I was allocated to was filled to the rim and I could not get beyond the stairs. I and a few others were relocated to another block where there were a few empty seats that also were soon to be occupied. It made for a great atmosphere but I will have to say this now and get it out of the way, the support turned out to be poor considering our numbers. I believe the game was responsible for this.

Cardiff started the game with two of their inform players missing, Rambo and Chopra out through injuries. Heaton kept his place in goal with what is turning out to be the main back four of McNaughton, Keinan, Hudson and Quinn. In midfield there was Bellamy, Burke, Whittingham and Oli, not that appealing if I must say. Then upfront there was the unusual partnership of Bothroyd and Parkin.

Ex Cardiff City favourite Robert Earnshaw made the first impact on the game by putting the ball into the Cardiff net only for him to be ruled offside. This turned out to be a wakeup call for Cardiff who then had a good few minutes of pressure. Kevin McNaughton set up Bellamy and from 20 yards the captain forced a palmed save from the Forest keeper.
Soon after Jay Bothroyd beat the offside trap from a Chris Burke pass but was denied by the approaching keeper who managed to block his effort for a corner. From the resulting corner the ball fell to Bellamy again and from20 yards out he saw his shot blocked on the line. Whittingham then went close as he sent a 20 yard curler around the right hand post of the Forest goal.
Forest then started to get into the game as their midfield started to win ball. They attacked the Cardiff central defence with some speed and the game started to change in Forest favour. From a harmless cross on the 30th minutes Heaton decided to parry the ball for a corner. The resulting corner saw an unchallenged cross being headed into the Cardiff goal, perhaps the easiest goal Cardiff have conceded all season.

Five minutes later the Forest goal scorer could have made it 2-0 as he found himself in space on the 18 yard line and sent the ball crashing against the crossbar. By now the Cardiff midfield had reverted to its usual play of giving the ball away too much and putting unnecessary pressure on the Cardiff defence. This resulted in Cardiff not managing to get back into the game for the rest of the half that ended with the home side one up.

The start of the second half was very much the same as the end of the first. Cardiff continued to give the ball away and struggled to win any 50/50 possession. Forest could not capitalise on this given advantage and only had one chance on goal from a 20 yard free kick. Dave Jones then made a double substitution bringing on JET and McPhail for Parkin and Burke respectfully. These changes seem to make some effect as Bothroyd sent a cross into the Forest area that was met by Oli on the 6 yard line with only the keeper to beat. Instead of placing his shot he went for power and somehow the keeper kept it out.

On the 64th minute Bothroyd beat his defender and found Oli once again around the 6 yard box. As Oli went for the ball he looked like he was just beaten to it by a Forest foot. He went down but there were no cries from the away supporters for a penalty. However the referee saw differently and pointed to the spot. Whittingham stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way for the equaliser.

From the restart JET found himself in space just inside the Forest half. He proceeded to the Forest goal with speed and from 25 yards out sent a powerful swerving shot towards the goal where the way fans were behind. The Forest keeper was forced to use his legs and the ball deflected off him and over the crossbar.
Sadly that was the last Cardiff got to scoring again and soon after that found themselves behind. Forest counter attacked from a Cardiff giveaway in midfield forcing the visiting defence on the backfoot. Cardiff ex favourite Earnie received a pass inside the Cardiff box and had no trouble putting the ball in the net.

Cardiff attacked for an equaliser but it was the Forest who had the determination. They started to win practically all the 50/50 again yet made very little impact on the Cardiff goal. Too many passes were being given away and it was frustrating to watch. The most frustrating part was yet to come.
As Cardiff struggled to make headway on the Forest goal it was clear that they would get one more chance. This finally came about in the last 10 minutes when Bothroyd collect a pass just outside the Forest area. He beat his marker and what looked like a chance with only the goalkeeper to beat decided to go down in the hope that he would be awarded a penalty. The referee saw through it and rightly booked him.

Forest saw the last stages of the game through with their determination in midfield winning every ball and nearly increased their lead. From another won 50/50 they found themselves 3 onto 1 as they attacked the Cardiff goal. The striker on the ball should have down better by passing to an unmarked colleague in the clear but decided to go for glory that forced a fine save from Heaton.

Fortunately for the Forest it made no difference as the referee brought the game to an end after 4 minutes of injury time.

Summing up: Although Cardiff created some chances, more than the home side, resulting in the Forest keeper winning the Man of the Match award I would say it was about 5 minutes of play they dominated. The rest of the play they were second best to the home side. This was because the home side showed the determination and motivation. The Cardiff prima donnas wanted the play to be given to them on a plate. The 50/50 statistic is what lost us the game. It is pointless having talent unless you put the work in.

Re: " Match report Forest v Cardiff 20/0211 "

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:15 am

Cheers Ian another good match Report :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thanks for the use of one of your local pubs :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:02 am

From Facebook

Owain Smith
Camp was the difference yesterday!he probly had the game of his life jus a shame it was against us
50 minutes ago · Like

Anthony Chiplin
Was bad day from off wont b goin there again ref was scandalous camp had good game the ponce he is but what pissed me off were there fans singing peado songs ! As well i thought the bench.was pretty grim we got no strengh in depth !
15 minutes ago · Like

Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:10 am

Nice one Ian. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Very Frustrating game, Camp was Immense for them and thought Oli was poor for us. Thanks for the report, Moving to the Midlands myself Monday :ayatollah: :ayatollah: .

Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:28 am

Was a nice pub to stop in Ian and it was nice meeting your mate again. Had a good day out but a shame about the game, I don't mind losing but the performance of the team yesterday really hurt.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:36 pm

From a Forest fan on Facebook

Reiss Nffc
Lane Parkin was dire, u only got back in the game caus Of the ref, an how r we shit away look at our recent away results apart from Wednesday, Bellamy was mardy caus e was shit, Thanks 4 the 6 points
about a minute ago · Like

Reiss Nffc
Lane But if yr lookin were u went wrong then its called J Bothroyd, shud hav scored wen 1 on 1 wud hav changed the game
A few seconds ago · Like

Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Match report appreciated, balanced opinions as usual. Cheers

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks Ian :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:27 pm

Very good write-up cheers :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:36 pm

Good report Ian, nice to meet you at one of your local pubs on Saturday (I can't remember the name of it :oops: ).

I've been looking at the replay of Morgan's goal and I feel that he climbed all over Keinan and impeded him, I don't know if I'm alone on this?

Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:17 am

good reporrt Ian,

I agree dissapointed with support after arriving and taking a stroll round thought the ground was going to be bouncing,
defo have to make up for this :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Look forward to your Forest Match report Ian :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:28 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Look forward to your Forest Match report Ian :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Leicester report annis :lol: :lol:

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:47 pm

glammy74 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Look forward to your Forest Match report Ian :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Leicester report annis :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:oops: :oops: :ayatollah: