Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: ALI YASSINE

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Read some suprising comments on here.

I'm glad that Ali speaks Welsh. Why? Because it shows that Welsh isn't a lost language. As soon as people stop reading Welsh, or speaking Welsh in situations like Ali's, then it's going to disappear. It's as simple as that.

I don't speak much Welsh, but would gladly learn had I the patience. I think it's important that we have our own identity, rather as being "That country next to England that speaks English so is just England".

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:01 pm

Berwyn wrote:Oh I can take it but my comment was relevant to the thread in hand and might I add quite right. Yours was just a dig at me. Your argument sucks and so you went for cheap shots. Because people are accused of things doesn't make them guilty of it.
I might add that I could also take things a lot better off people who don't hide behind a keyboard. I find that people who hide and take cheap shots are generally wankers. But that's just my observation of people.

Oh and yes, f**k off back to england if you don't like hearing Welsh being spoken in Wales.

oh yesFUCK off

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:30 pm

BlueInHeath wrote:
ali wrote:Just got in to read this lively debate on the use of Welsh at the stadium and, despite the time, felt it was worthy of a contribution.

By the way, this is just my personal opinion and not an official statement from the club.

Firstly, thanks ashccfc and everyone else for your kind words of support.

Just to clarify, due to our bilingual policy, both English and Welsh are given equal status in the stadium and this is reflected not just on the tannoy for both City and Blues games but throughout the stadium with the bilingual signs and the employment of a number of bilingual staff. Indeed, the club has also put on Welsh lessons for adults and has promoted bilingual Adult Literacy events as part of its committment to the bilingual policy. There is also an intention to develop more Welsh language initiatives if and when possible.

However, the bilingual policy is not intended to isolate or marginalise any of the fans. It is also not a pandering to the 'taffia' (whoever they are) as some would like to have it but a simple pride in the club's Welsh identity and heritage, an identity we are often reminded of whenever sizeable numbers of away fans visit or when the club plays away games.

With regard to the use of Welsh on the tannoy on match days, the fact of the matter is that, apart from a hello and welcome, the odd use of 'ladies and gentleman' and the announcement of added time in Welsh, very little of the language is spoken on the tannoy. The vast majority of the announcements are in English and will continue to be.

The Welsh language is Europe's oldest living language and, thanks in part to initiatives such as our bilingual policy, is enjoying a ressurgence in the capital. As the last line of the anthem states: O bydded i'r hen iaith parhau - long may the old language continue.
spoke

HI AlI I'm glad you see it as a debate as some in this thread do not understand the word debate, you may remember I spoke to you about this at the trust evening when Dave Jones and DATO Chan did their double act\you will also know that \i have total respect for you as as i rang you one Saturday morning for advice as to what to buy for an Asian colleague of mine as his wife had jut given birth to their son and I wanted to buy them a traditional Asian present rather than the bog standard M & S baby grow, back to the topic, it's certainly not anti welsh but just a simple point that imo by giving preferential treatment to the elitist language the club is forgetting that their most important customers(by volume are English speaking) whilst I agree it is not something that is important-why has the cub deemed it important enough to feel it be changed from English 1st to Welsh?.
I fully support the bi lingual approach But English 1st has been OK for over a 100 years or so
Why the change? who has given the order?

Hi Chris,

Always happy to see you. Also, without wishing to cause any further conflict or get involved in a war of words, I think a lot of people have got you wrong. Like politics and religion, language can be a pretty emotive subject, more so because it's so closely linked to a perceived identity.

Anyway, in all honesty, nobody has ordered me to give out more Welsh announcements. It's just a case of natural evolution.

It goes back to last year when Wales played Bulgaria at the stadium. I was encouraged to use more Welsh on the tannoy by the FAW's Ian Gwyn Hughes as we knew that quite a few Welsh speakers would travel from North and West Wales for the game. Since then, I've added a bit more in an attempt to encourage others to learn new phrases and, in part, to promote the language. However, I respect the fact that others prefer an English-only environment because of tradition and possibly because of the link between the Welsh language and rugby.

I can also fully understand that some, not just yourself, see the language as elitist. Indeed, middle class Welsh=speakers in Cardiff sometimes do the image of the language few favours. Thankfully, however, this is changing with the growth of a more diverse Welsh-speaking community, thanks in the main to inward migration from other areas of Wales and the popularity of the language with learners.

On a personal level, I certainly don't view myself as more Welsh than anybody else because I have the ability to speak the language. In saying that, I do believe the language has enriched my life. I have met some amazing people that speak Welsh and I feel a bit more confident that wherever I go in Wales, I can converse with the locals - except Swansea as I dont speak Jack Welsh - a mixture of grunts, wheezing and spitting. lol

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:32 pm

BlueInHeath wrote:
Marc wrote:Well said Zabier. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: ...was a good debate, no need for low blows. :old:

Yes marc, was a decent debate imo, but do you think i\ should just lie down when one poster calls me a tw*t and another aracist, f**k them, what do the mods do on here? or have you got to be in the in crowd?

I haven't read all of this thread, just from where my name was brought into it. If you have a problem, why have you not reported the thread????? Nothing to do with any in crowd as you put it. I don't have time to read every single thread on here so can't moderate everything. Please point out where you have been called a tw*t and a racist and something can be done about it.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:33 pm

BlueInHeath wrote:
Berwyn wrote:Oh I can take it but my comment was relevant to the thread in hand and might I add quite right. Yours was just a dig at me. Your argument sucks and so you went for cheap shots. Because people are accused of things doesn't make them guilty of it.
I might add that I could also take things a lot better off people who don't hide behind a keyboard. I find that people who hide and take cheap shots are generally wankers. But that's just my observation of people.

Oh and yes, f**k off back to england if you don't like hearing Welsh being spoken in Wales.

oh yesFUCK off

Well I would f**k OFF if I didn't like to hear Welsh being spoken in Wales. Like I'd f**k OFF from France if I couldn't stand French being spoken there.

So does making f**k off large like that make it scary or something?

Your turn!

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:34 pm

ali wrote:
BlueInHeath wrote:
ali wrote:Just got in to read this lively debate on the use of Welsh at the stadium and, despite the time, felt it was worthy of a contribution.

By the way, this is just my personal opinion and not an official statement from the club.

Firstly, thanks ashccfc and everyone else for your kind words of support.

Just to clarify, due to our bilingual policy, both English and Welsh are given equal status in the stadium and this is reflected not just on the tannoy for both City and Blues games but throughout the stadium with the bilingual signs and the employment of a number of bilingual staff. Indeed, the club has also put on Welsh lessons for adults and has promoted bilingual Adult Literacy events as part of its committment to the bilingual policy. There is also an intention to develop more Welsh language initiatives if and when possible.

However, the bilingual policy is not intended to isolate or marginalise any of the fans. It is also not a pandering to the 'taffia' (whoever they are) as some would like to have it but a simple pride in the club's Welsh identity and heritage, an identity we are often reminded of whenever sizeable numbers of away fans visit or when the club plays away games.

With regard to the use of Welsh on the tannoy on match days, the fact of the matter is that, apart from a hello and welcome, the odd use of 'ladies and gentleman' and the announcement of added time in Welsh, very little of the language is spoken on the tannoy. The vast majority of the announcements are in English and will continue to be.

The Welsh language is Europe's oldest living language and, thanks in part to initiatives such as our bilingual policy, is enjoying a ressurgence in the capital. As the last line of the anthem states: O bydded i'r hen iaith parhau - long may the old language continue.
spoke

HI AlI I'm glad you see it as a debate as some in this thread do not understand the word debate, you may remember I spoke to you about this at the trust evening when Dave Jones and DATO Chan did their double act\you will also know that \i have total respect for you as as i rang you one Saturday morning for advice as to what to buy for an Asian colleague of mine as his wife had jut given birth to their son and I wanted to buy them a traditional Asian present rather than the bog standard M & S baby grow, back to the topic, it's certainly not anti welsh but just a simple point that imo by giving preferential treatment to the elitist language the club is forgetting that their most important customers(by volume are English speaking) whilst I agree it is not something that is important-why has the cub deemed it important enough to feel it be changed from English 1st to Welsh?.
I fully support the bi lingual approach But English 1st has been OK for over a 100 years or so
Why the change? who has given the order?

Hi Chris,

Always happy to see you. Also, without wishing to cause any further conflict or get involved in a war of words, I think a lot of people have got you wrong. Like politics and religion, language can be a pretty emotive subject, more so because it's so closely linked to a perceived identity.

Anyway, in all honesty, nobody has ordered me to give out more Welsh announcements. It's just a case of natural evolution.

It goes back to last year when Wales played Bulgaria at the stadium. I was encouraged to use more Welsh on the tannoy by the FAW's Ian Gwyn Hughes as we knew that quite a few Welsh speakers would travel from North and West Wales for the game. Since then, I've added a bit more in an attempt to encourage others to learn new phrases and, in part, to promote the language. However, I respect the fact that others prefer an English-only environment because of tradition and possibly because of the link between the Welsh language and rugby.

I can also fully understand that some, not just yourself, see the language as elitist. Indeed, middle class Welsh=speakers in Cardiff sometimes do the image of the language few favours. Thankfully, however, this is changing with the growth of a more diverse Welsh-speaking community, thanks in the main to inward migration from other areas of Wales and the popularity of the language with learners.

On a personal level, I certainly don't view myself as more Welsh than anybody else because I have the ability to speak the language. In saying that, I do believe the language has enriched my life. I have met some amazing people that speak Welsh and I feel a bit more confident that wherever I go in Wales, I can converse with the locals - except Swansea as I dont speak Jack Welsh - a mixture of grunts, wheezing and spitting. lol

CHeers ALI, I'll leave there now!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:31 pm

Zabier wrote:
quadsas wrote:totally offtopic, but I think Lithuanian is the oldest living language in Europe (cool brag dude)

It's hotly debated and not able to really be proven because you can't really determine when the first language was spoken. Welsh, Basque, Icelandic, Albanian, Greek and Lithuanian all have strong claims. Maybe one day they can really find out.

Armenian.

Lovely people. Huge chip on their shoulders, they invented everything including language. They are somewhat stumped on the written Celtic language though, the ancient celtic language that is. I've tried to find the key for years, then one of those things, 3D tv, watching a demo, cracked it.............

A tip from old Wombat, Tesla.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:44 pm

Willy the Wombat wrote:
Zabier wrote:
quadsas wrote:totally offtopic, but I think Lithuanian is the oldest living language in Europe (cool brag dude)

It's hotly debated and not able to really be proven because you can't really determine when the first language was spoken. Welsh, Basque, Icelandic, Albanian, Greek and Lithuanian all have strong claims. Maybe one day they can really find out.

Armenian.

Lovely people. Huge chip on their shoulders, they invented everything including language. They are somewhat stumped on the written Celtic language though, the ancient celtic language that is. I've tried to find the key for years, then one of those things, 3D tv, watching a demo, cracked it.............

A tip from old Wombat, Tesla.

Tesla? :)

Please, indulge me further. So Armenian is the oldest?

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Berwyn wrote:
BlueInHeath wrote:

oh yesFUCK off

Well I would f**k OFF if I didn't like to hear Welsh being spoken in Wales. Like I'd f**k OFF from France if I couldn't stand French being spoken there.

So does making f**k off large like that make it scary or something?

Your turn!
No why should it or is it just your mindset?, I have sorted things with Ali, that is the end of it

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:45 pm

No not my mind set at all. I'm not sure if it should, that's why I asked you the question.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:20 am

ridiculous thread! i am first language welsh and the reason why i have to conduct my day to day life ine nglish is because most minded people like you!

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:48 am

thats a good idea actually, dim ond un.. is about that only one that could catch on i guess seeing as anything else would be twice as long and arse backward!