Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Peter Whittingham....

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:02 pm

WHAT THE HELL does this lad have to do to get dropped?

For a variety of reasons, he contributes basically nothing 95% of the time. The rest, he does something positive be it a good through ball, a free kick or penalty, all of a varying degree of importance. However it is the 95% of the match that he should be doing this for, not just for the odd minute or two.

People will say about his pass for Chopra against Leeds - I think if we had someone better suited to the role he played that night, then we wouldn't have needed such a late goal. Same in other matches, and in thegames we have struggled in.

Each match, he looks lethargic when trying to run to the ball (if he even tries).
Gets knocked off the ball as if he's on a diet of lettuce.
Passes the ball without even looking up - usually loses it, sometimes gets it to his own players but in a rubbis position.
Drifts out of position.

I am sure there is more. I am getting fed up of it, I hate double standards and this is a sure fire case of it. Players like Gyppo, Blake, Matthews have one poor match and they get dropped.

Whittingham has not been at his best all season, and he is still in the team. What kind of message does this send out to the rest of the squad?

Dave Jones has favourites, no wonder our team seems to lack so many things.

Re: Peter Whittingham....

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:09 pm

1 season wonder. we shouldve sold him to forest but then again he couldve had a wonder season under billy davies. i dont think he knows wat his role on the pitch is im not sure dave jones does either to be honest.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:10 pm

He has 8 assists this season and 6 goals.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/i ... am?cc=5739

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:29 pm

PhatFrog wrote:He has 8 assists this season and 6 goals.

That's a fair point. Still though, in my opinion if we had someone 'more suited' to the central role he sometimes plays, we'd be far more competetive in all the aspects that seemed to be lacking like those in yesterdays match.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:41 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:

That's a fair point. Still though, in my opinion if we had someone 'more suited' to the central role he sometimes plays, we'd be far more competetive in all the aspects that seemed to be lacking like those in yesterdays match.

He's a Beckham esque player though. Can have a shite game, then play a beautiful long pass that leads to a goal. :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:48 pm

PhatFrog wrote:

He's a Beckham esque player though. Can have a shite game, then play a beautiful long pass that leads to a goal. :ayatollah:

Yes but the problem being that the shitty games are getting more and the good bits getting less. He looks knackered every game before we've even started, and he does nothing really to be knackered about.
Its spreading through the team as even players like Bothroyd looked like they didn't want to be there yesterday. Starting to get to me personally now because they don't deserve to be in the team when they're acting like children who don't want to go to school on a Monday morning.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:52 pm

PhatFrog wrote:

True. I suppose either way, we are going to make do with him now because I can't see us signing another central midfielder, even if Ramseys loan ends after a month. Just hope he can find a good level of, let's say, conststency. And he doesn't look so tired in March with less games.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:17 pm

He needs to get in to games more and go looking for the ball. Hes got a premier league left foot on him but when we are up against it he goes missing. The team are then carrying him. Dont think hes worth his place at the moment

Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:34 am

aberblue1977 wrote:He needs to get in to games more and go looking for the ball. Hes got a premier league left foot on him but when we are up against it he goes missing. The team are then carrying him. Dont think hes worth his place at the moment

Agree with you there... it appears that Whitts is another DJ favourite, and considering it took Naylor so long to be dropped, I don't hold out much hope for him losing his place. The rest of the team are effectively carrying him and hes losing the ball from something so simple as not LOOKING where hes passing the damn thing

Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:40 am

He joined the club as a left sided midfield player.

He played his first two seasons mostly on the right side of midfield due to Ledley and Parry uccupying the left hand side role. He was inconsistent but we could see he had quality.

He played last season entirely on the left side of midfield, he looked comfortable and banged goals (and assists!) in for fun.

This season he's played mostly in the middle or on the right. He's been inconsistent but we could see he had quality.

Spot a pattern here?

I'm not saying for one minute we should drop Bellamy, but this is one of the knock on effects of playing Bellamy on the left. The other glaring ones are how unbalanced we look and our left back being exposed.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:57 am

I think DJ keeps him as he takes the pens and free and corner kicks for us , but apart from that he dont do much.
When he was on the wing he wouldnt make any runs down the side lines all he did was kick long balls down field,and he dont put in any tackles he just stands off players. I would drop him and put Thomas in, ok Thomas dont set me on fire also but he do make runs and put in a tackle or two.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:43 pm

And about 2 tackles if any

Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:49 pm

I'm not going to go on. The price Celtic got Kris Commons for we should have brought him in because he offers more than Whitts. However, we didn't.

If football was a 12 man game Whitts would be perfect to have but, for me, he hasn't been doing enough recently. Yes, he chips in with goals and assists here and there but how many goals do we concede or get held back from scoring because he's got no defensive awareness or battle to him?

I want Whitts to do well, I really do. He is one of the nice guys of our team, a real professional. However, when it comes to us bottling it he has been called up on this problem time and time again. If he's going to continue to play we should have him playing behind the front two with Oli in front of the back four in a kind of diamond midfield. Playing next to each other is not working.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:10 pm

PhatFrog wrote:

He is in no way Beckham esqe.

Beckham worked his b0ll0x off in games and got back to help out the team, particularly for england where he needed to more than he did for Man Utd. Please don;t think for one second I am a Man Utd or Beckham fan, far from it. It's just a fact.

Whittingham is lazy and almost too scared to tackle most of the time. He is a luxury we cannot afford. He get's talked up as a quality player but how often does he pass the ball to Hudson to lump forward. He should be dictating games like Ramsey does but he's lost it. He had it when he first came as I remember in the 4 v 1 win over Preston he beat a player with one of the best bits of skill I've ever witnessed. He simply doesn't try to beat a man anymore!

I maintain he is in the side because we haven't got anyone else who can take a decent deadball. This dawned on me when watching the Stoke replay coz in Whittingham's absence I don't think a single corner or free-kick beat the first man all night!

I wish we ripped Forest's hand off!

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Pricey wrote:

And about 2 tackles if any

Wow, a player who has had a hand in 14 of our goals whilst playing out of position, has the fans wanting him to be dropped. :roll:

Are you the same fans who think that Burke (who has done sod all this season) should be starting?

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:50 pm

And by the same token, you feel that Chris Burke (who has had a hand in 7 of our goals whilst being dropped a hell of a lot) has done nothing all season.

Don't get me wrong, I want every single Cardiff City player to do well but that includes trying hard and mucking in when we're up against it and Whittingham simply doesn't.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Howey1927 wrote:And by the same token, you feel that Chris Burke (who has had a hand in 7 of our goals whilst being dropped a hell of a lot) has done nothing all season.

Don't get me wrong, I want every single Cardiff City player to do well but that includes trying hard and mucking in when we're up against it and Whittingham simply doesn't.

One thing I struggle to always understand is how a player who has such a high attacking awareness and vision is so dumbfounded in those areas when it comes to defending!

Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:16 pm

Howey1927 wrote:And by the same token, you feel that Chris Burke (who has had a hand in 7 of our goals whilst being dropped a hell of a lot) has done nothing all season.

But Whitts has done more than Burke this season yes? We can have 11 players who muck in but all be useless. Whitts fetches something to the team and even last season people were calling for him to be dropped.

Say what you want, but he's provided more assists this season than anyone else in the squad. Our team is supposedly built on attacking. If we re to maintain that, Whitts has to stay on the pitch.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:31 pm

I can see your point Hannah but if you could put him on for just the dead ball situation and when we need a through ball threaded through that would be the icing. But during the game he does make us weak.
Whitts is a luxury player and every team can have one of those but we have to many luxury players to many lightweights and the spine of our team does not mix and that is down to Jones. He built this team. :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:43 pm

PhatFrog wrote:

But Whitts has done more than Burke this season yes? We can have 11 players who muck in but all be useless. Whitts fetches something to the team and even last season people were calling for him to be dropped.

Say what you want, but he's provided more assists this season than anyone else in the squad. Our team is supposedly built on attacking. If we re to maintain that, Whitts has to stay on the pitch.

No, I'm not agreeing that Whitts has done more. It's easy to put stats out that say he's scored 6 and created 8 goals (3 penalties in amongst those as well) but where are the stats on tackles made and distance covered in the games played?

Our defence has come in for some almighty criticism this season. Some of it is down to them but a huge amount is down to the fact that our midfield haven't retained possession well enough and the opposition midfield have been pouring through like there's no tomorrow. The worst culprit in my eyes (and those of many, many others) is Whittingham. Whittingham is our ball playing midfielder yet how much time does he spend on the ball?

Burke hasn't had the end product to his attacking game this season but when he is on there he beats players and means we retain possession longer.

Hey, this is the brilliant thing about football. It gets people divided and makes for great debate!

I hope we are celebrating promotion in May and Whittingham scores 25 goals next season and then 15 the year after in the Champions League (for us)!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:18 pm

whittingham is SHIT . slows us down on the break he cant battle cant head the ball and i can run faster than that sluggish excuse for a winger :lol:

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:33 pm

jinks/cwm wrote:whittingham is SHIT . slows us down on the break he cant battle cant head the ball and i can run faster than that sluggish excuse for a winger :lol:

To be honest with you, that sums up what I wanted to say in a more concise way. He frustrates me so very much :evil:

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:07 pm

Love Whitts when he is playing well, but the truth is he hasn't been since Christmas really and does look tired. Thing is with Chopra likely to be out, Bellamy may switch to partner Jay and Whitts may got back to his favoured left sided role and pick his from up again.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:41 pm

Some people are never satisified..........get behind the team FFS

Whitts is not the type who will get stuck in but he has certainly improved in terms of tracking back/tackling etc

He can also change a game.....I'd like him to be more consistant but then he wouldn't be playing for us :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:05 pm

Who says WE do not get behind the team when they need it at matches, because I can vouch for myself that I certainly do

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:59 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:WHAT THE HELL does this lad have to do to get dropped?

For a variety of reasons, he contributes basically nothing 95% of the time. The rest, he does something positive be it a good through ball, a free kick or penalty, all of a varying degree of importance. However it is the 95% of the match that he should be doing this for, not just for the odd minute or two.

People will say about his pass for Chopra against Leeds - I think if we had someone better suited to the role he played that night, then we wouldn't have needed such a late goal. Same in other matches, and in thegames we have struggled in.

Each match, he looks lethargic when trying to run to the ball (if he even tries).
Gets knocked off the ball as if he's on a diet of lettuce.
Passes the ball without even looking up - usually loses it, sometimes gets it to his own players but in a rubbis position.
Drifts out of position.

I am sure there is more. I am getting fed up of it, I hate double standards and this is a sure fire case of it. Players like Gyppo, Blake, Matthews have one poor match and they get dropped.

Whittingham has not been at his best all season, and he is still in the team. What kind of message does this send out to the rest of the squad?

Dave Jones has favourites, no wonder our team seems to lack so many things.

spot on,ive bin saying it all season,but have got slated,saying im being too negative :roll: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:28 am

your only as shit as the players around you last 3games olly has been worse he can not control the ball,pass the ball and hes given away 95% of are free kicks against look at the forest goals for eg,his foul for 1st one which leaded to the corner and the 2nd one he gave the ball away again,only then did DJ decide to take him off 5mins later when he should have been taken off after 30mins useless :lol:

Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:15 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:your only as shit as the players around you last 3games olly has been worse he can not control the ball,pass the ball and hes given away 95% of are free kicks against look at the forest goals for eg,his foul for 1st one which leaded to the corner and the 2nd one he gave the ball away again,only then did DJ decide to take him off 5mins later when he should have been taken off after 30mins useless :lol:

Fair play, Oli has been poor in some games but brilliant in others. When has Whittingham been brilliant in any game this season? In my opinion every game passes him by like he isn't there!

And as for the statement above that his tracking back and tackling have improved, how do you know? You must have been to watch training or something coz I've not seen him make a tackle of note all season!