A forum for all things Cardiff City

police searches

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:04 pm

can anyone tellme the laws on the police stopping 15 year olds
an searching them it seems the police are stopping all kids in my
area willy nilly an man handling them

Re: police searches

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:21 pm

If they are not doing anything wrong or carrying anything they will soon remember them and leave them alone.Best thing they can do is be respectful and hopefully they will move on. look at it this way Chief if these Police stop and pick up a kid carrying a knife that could potentially be used on your Lad would in not be worth it :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:26 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:If they are not doing anything wrong or carrying anything they will soon remember them and leave them alone.Best thing they can do is be respectful and hopefully they will move on. look at it this way Chief if these Police stop and pick up a kid carrying a knife that could potentially be used on your Lad would in not be worth it :ayatollah:

what he said

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:59 pm

Wish we had coppers doing the rounds where I am sorting the kids out. I phoned the police the other week about them and I said "how come you never patrol the streets no more?" They said "yes we do, we had some on the beat there recently!" I said "yeah, 1985" :lol:

Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:21 am

sleepers wrote:can anyone tellme the laws on the police stopping 15 year olds
an searching them it seems the police are stopping all kids in my
area willy nilly an man handling them

"Reasonable cause...." means that I they suspect then they can legally search

Easy to interpret to suit the situation, which can work for and against a person depending on their innocence

I tend to agree with the thought that it's easier to comply respectully (even if you don't mean it) and the 'local' plods will soon leave them alone IF they have nothing to hide....which (in your lads case) I'm sure they don't

Not ALL kids are tearaways!!!!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:55 am

If the person is under 18 - I would imagine that any search would have to be carried out in front of the appropriate adult/parent.

I dont know for definite but I would be surprised if I was wrong.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:05 am

Paul Keevil wrote:If the person is under 18 - I would imagine that any search would have to be carried out in front of the appropriate adult/parent.

I dont know for definite but I would be surprised if I was wrong.

You're wrong! :mrgreen:

The Police have to have reasonable suspicion, that the person to be searched, has prohibited items, such as drugs, offensive weapons, stolen property, or articles that can be used to steal/break into properties, in their possession!

Any person can be searched, irrelevant of their age, but only male officers can physically search male persons and only female officers can physically search female persons, although a male officer can ask for a female person, to empty their pockets, or search through a handbag or purse etc!

The searching officer however, must give the person searched, a slip of carbonated paper, which should contain the name and station of the searching officer, the grounds/reason for the search, what items/articles the officer was searching for, when and where the search took place and whether anything was found!

The searching officer, would only have to contact a parent or legal guardian, should they find any prohibited articles as listed above, as the person who had been searched, would then most likely be arrested and the Police would need their parent or legal guardian, to be present at the Police station! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: