Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

youth looking forward to a future in work

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:35 pm

a few boys on here looking for work got me thinking,alot of todays youth having got alot to look forward to,no real work other than shyt agencies,and with the government banning retirement where are the openings going to appear for todays youth,the future isnt looking to rosey at the moment :( :( :( :ayatollah:

Re: youth looking forward to a future in work

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:38 pm

Probably the only reason I'm still in University. In the line of work I WANT to go into, you need a portfolio of work, not a qualification. However, the qualification does make it easier for getting general software engineering jobs.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:40 pm

Must be hard but you have to make your own luck in this world.IT must be hard and it was for my generation as well only thing they can do is don't give up and don't take the easy option. Keep looking every day go bug companies and keep bugging them

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:41 pm

Dafydd wrote:Probably the only reason I'm still in University. In the line of work I WANT to go into, you need a portfolio of work, not a qualification. However, the qualification does make it easier for getting general software engineering jobs.

i really cant see were oppurtunities are going to come from,we need a massive upturn in the economy,and i dont think this is coming soon,good luck in your search in the future :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:13 pm

krab wrote:a few boys on here looking for work got me thinking,alot of todays youth having got alot to look forward to,no real work other than shyt agencies,and with the government banning retirement where are the openings going to appear for todays youth,the future isnt looking to rosey at the moment :( :( :( :ayatollah:

My Son who is 18 has no intention of getting a 9 to 5 job, he is currently in college and is off to uni next September. he currently sustains himself by playing in a band his sole ambition is to be a session musician.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:20 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Must be hard but you have to make your own luck in this world.IT must be hard and it was for my generation as well only thing they can do is don't give up and don't take the easy option. Keep looking every day go bug companies and keep bugging them

Spot on mate, no good moaning about it is there. One of my best mates is currently looking for work, yet when I give him the local paper and get him to look at the job section he keeps on ignoring the jobs advertised as he doesn’t like that particular job, I’m sorry if it earns you some money it’s better than nothing.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:21 pm

chris_ccfc wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:Must be hard but you have to make your own luck in this world.IT must be hard and it was for my generation as well only thing they can do is don't give up and don't take the easy option. Keep looking every day go bug companies and keep bugging them

Spot on mate, no good moaning about it is there. One of my best mates is currently looking for work, yet when I give him the local paper and get him to look at the job section he keeps on ignoring the jobs advertised as he doesn’t like that particular job, I’m sorry if it earns you some money it’s better than nothing.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:36 pm

When I dropped out of uni, I spent bleeding ages looking for a job. When I applied for stuff like cleaning, they said I was over qualified. When I applied for something more suitable, they just got picky and upped their criteria. It's horrible, don't envy those looking for work that do want to. It was very moral sapping.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:32 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:When I dropped out of uni, I spent bleeding ages looking for a job. When I applied for stuff like cleaning, they said I was over qualified. When I applied for something more suitable, they just got picky and upped their criteria. It's horrible, don't envy those looking for work that do want to. It was very moral sapping.

Somethings don't change over the years Chief. This isn't a problem associated with this generation like most young uns think it is. So please dont use it as a excuse we had the same problem. Make your own luck try something different from the rest as one politician once said "Get on your bike !!" Dont give up stay positive and be prepared to do anything. It is far easier to get another job whilst employed than unemployed.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:35 pm

I got lucky really, sometimes that's all you need. There's always a way.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:40 pm

Dafydd wrote:Probably the only reason I'm still in University. In the line of work I WANT to go into, you need a portfolio of work, not a qualification. However, the qualification does make it easier for getting general software engineering jobs.

I studied Computer Science at Cardiff Uni in 93-96, my first job I took was delivering faxes in an office, I stuck by it and worked my way up applying for internal job vacancies on the way, I've now seach the heady heights of 'Senior IT Consultant' lol :lol:

Basically stick your foot in the door in a decent company, and wait for the opportuinties :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:42 pm

I went freelance doing web content having realised there was little security in any job I applied for. Freelance writing isn't the most secure but at least my fate is in my own hands. People always need content written online so I have entered that field of work and so far it's been reasonably successful. Hopefully it continues.