Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

O/T BBC1 Now - Irish financial crisis

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:45 pm

Watching this now, quite insightful.

One guy just said he is 143 MILLION EUROS in debt alone.

I knew it was bad, but not that bad :o :o

Re: O/T BBC1 Now - Irish financial crisis

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:46 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:Watching this now, quite insightful.

im watching it aswell :o

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:53 pm

A lot of people try to imply that this is the result of Irelands independence, but it's not. It is just pure greed all around. I hate to say it, but even from the working classes. Everyone trying to live like americans with massive houses and cars.

I lived there in the early 90's, and unemployment was everywhere, not a pot to piss in. And you know what, most people were happier going into a pub every day and having a few pints. These same people got jobs, bought houses and all that, and look at them now.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:54 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:A lot of people try to imply that this is the result of Irelands independence, but it's not. It is just pure greed all around. I hate to say it, but even from the working classes. Everyone trying to live like americans with massive houses and cars.

I lived there in the early 90's, and unemployment was everywhere, not a pot to piss in. And you know what, most people were happier going into a pub every day and having a few pints. These same people got jobs, bought houses and all that, and look at them now.

good point there

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:15 pm

I know a couple of people who attended a conference with some very respected economists giving their assessment of the current financial climate, one of the main speakers was from Ireland and it really is sad to hear the picture painted for them and their level of debt.

The figure predicted a couple of months ago that over 150,000 Irish folks will move from Ireland in the next four years to find work says it all.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:23 pm

chris_ccfc wrote:

I know a couple of people who attended a conference with some very respected economists giving their assessment of the current financial climate, one of the main speakers was from Ireland and it really is sad to hear the picture painted for them and their level of debt.

The figure predicted a couple of months ago that over 150,000 Irish folks will move from Ireland in the next four years to find work says it all.

over 150000 all off to america hopefully

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:30 pm

jinks/cwm wrote:
chris_ccfc wrote:

over 150000 all off to america hopefully

You should see the trouble they are having over there.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/business/116459078.html

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:30 pm

Some things I hear were crazy. Some lad who's a friend of my family over there graduated from UNI with all the qualifications to be a chemist. Straight away AIB gave him 6million euros to open his own chemist, with barely any proper experience of anything.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:36 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:Some things I hear were crazy. Some lad who's a friend of my family over there graduated from UNI with all the qualifications to be a chemist. Straight away AIB gave him 6million euros to open his own chemist, with barely any proper experience of anything.

They were quite happy to throw money about when the going was good, look at the amount of apartment blocks, houses sitting unfinished/unoccupied. Still we can't say much as we did the same, Cardiff is a good example with the amount of flats empty in the Bay.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:51 pm

Far, far worse.

The ordinary people of ireland have been fucked. They knew this and took precautions.

Just about everyone I know has battened down the hatches, croesyblue has been advising anyone and everyone on the ccmb to use their brain, difficult for him, too many weirdo's.

I can't get nice cakes here, ice creams fine, but not a proper welsh cake, mmmmmmmmmmm

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:45 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:A lot of people try to imply that this is the result of Irelands independence, but it's not. It is just pure greed all around. I hate to say it, but even from the working classes. Everyone trying to live like americans with massive houses and cars.

ah here, people can't be blamed for wanting to own a house. The reality is the elite of Irish society f***ed up and the ordinary man in the street is going to paying for it for the next generation. Irish people have always been f***ed over by the ruling classes, we had from the church and for the past few decades the politicians. The country is truly f***ed I'm afraid.