Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Any Council Road Workers On Here ?

Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:42 pm

Just wondering when the guy comes round again to respray the yellow line around the unfilled potholes that were identified as hazards weeks ago. Cardiffs roads are the worst I have ever known them.

Re: Any Council Road Workers On Here ?

Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:43 pm

The big freeze really fucked the roads up didn't it... and they were struggling before!

Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:12 pm

HI guys ,
i work for cardiff county council highways dept, the roads are appalling your right , the salt that was spread over past weeks has not helped one bit, the grit actuaaly penetrates the road causing pot holes to occur , we have 3 gangs working 6 days a week repairing potholes an setting in patches albeit it only s.o.s. work , i actually work on reinstatement of flagstones an kerblines etc but every morning go round city centre filling in pot holes using tubs of tarmac when no traffic flow (5am) !
thanks for listening!
they wear our clothes
we listen to there music :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:57 pm

If you look you will also notice that the vast majority of bad spots in the roads are where the road has been dug up and re-filled by utility companys doing repair work, such as gas, water, electric etc.
These companies seem to be rubbish at filling in and making the road good after they've done their bit. Even after they've just finished the job it's not perfect and a few months down the line the re-filled hole has sunk. Then comes the ice and snow and a pot hole appears. Take a look the next time you are out and you'll see that the vast majority of pot holes are next to road works patch up jobs.
It seems to me as soon as the council resurfaces a road there's someone ready to dig it up. I reckon if you dig up a road then you should be forced to do a proper repair job plus you should be forced to revisit the hole about 6-12 months later to make sure it is still okay.

This also begs the question then - why is the cost of the repair down to the council rather than the utility company who did a bad job on the road? Every year these utility companies are announcing huge profits, so why aren't they getting billed by the council for the proper repair job that they have to do?

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:12 pm

ely trendy wrote:HI guys ,
i work for cardiff county council highways dept, the roads are appalling your right , the salt that was spread over past weeks has not helped one bit, the grit actuaaly penetrates the road causing pot holes to occur , we have 3 gangs working 6 days a week repairing potholes an setting in patches albeit it only s.o.s. work , i actually work on reinstatement of flagstones an kerblines etc but every morning go round city centre filling in pot holes using tubs of tarmac when no traffic flow (5am) !
thanks for listening!
they wear our clothes
we listen to there music :ayatollah:

Were you based over at Brindley Road mate? I used to work there.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:28 pm

ZABIER ,ah brindley road m8 19 years on council now!
NOT many can say they either lve there job or dont mind going to work? well saddo ere lol i dont mind at all !
regarding the point of utility companies going back to check an covering cost i totally agree.
me an my driver "norman the cardiff cougar" spent about 3 days working on central square renewing 60/70 paving slabs , next day we returned to check an collect cones etc an there was about 20 taxis completely on footpath which is illegal anyway , we spoke to our big wigs about it an there reply was "police matter" what aloud of old tosh , why dont they bill offenders ? im sure they wont mount footpath again !!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:51 pm

Ely trendy,

Working for the council maybe you know the imbicele who signs off the 'road improvement' projects or how the decisions are made to approve this work?

That island in the middle of heol trelai between the bus stops (and the island is as long as a bus) is rediculous! It has increased early morning quewes to get out onto cowbridge road 5 fold as when the bus stops nothing can get past it.
Making the traffic worse it has certainly done, and how much might it have cost? many thousands easily i would guess?

And the ely police station junction has just ben finished, extending the pavement out to get rid of the lane that bears left out of caerau lane?!? Brilliant, lets spend another £££'s and make the traffic quewes longer!

How do these crazy thngs get approved?!?

Keep up the good work fixing those potholes mate!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:59 pm

IF YOU SEE BIG YELLOW COUNCIL TRUCK AROUND THE CITY WITH CARDIFF CITY FLAG ON BACK THATS ME AN MY HOPPO, GIVE US A TOOT?
ELY TRENDIES WERE ONCE MASSIVE

Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Have you thought about sealing the potholes with Tar again?

Just filling them with tarmac and leaving them leaves the gaps for the ice to penetrate again! The Potholes are the same year on year...

Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:05 am

hey Ely is there any way that fast setting concrete can be used when the holes are deep and topped up with tarmac to stop it happening again - its probable that im missing the obvious but would love to here why the council dont do that