Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Can't say how angry i really am !!!

Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:21 pm

This is non Footy. My Wife as most of you know suffers from Multiple Sclerosis and for the last few days she has been unwell with mainly terrible burning and pain in her legs. With M.S patients you have to leave it 48 hours before seeking medical attention unless it is really serious. So when she needed to get into contact with her M.S team she was met with a recorded message that they was all on holiday until March 7th and if its an emergency contact your Doctor WTF :shock: She contacted her Doctor only to be told that they couldn't she her until the next day. Even though she told them She had M.S and she suspected she was having a relapse they still told her they couldn't see her WTF :shock: . so i thought f**k it i am taking her to Casualty only for the Consultant to admit straight away he knew nothing about M.S and as he was unable to get in contact with her M.S team either (coz they were all on f*cking holiday) He had to look at her letters that she bought with her. He has given her a coarse of massive steroids with the only thing to go on was her paperwork.

Today i had to wait ages a the Chemist after they queried the amount of Steroids do to there strength, but now she is crying her eyes out with the pain and cant walk. No one knows what pain killing relief to give her, I even found the phone number for her Consultant in Newport to get threw to his Secretary only to find out this Guy is on Holiday as well WTF :shock: The secretary to her credit is trying to get advice but it has left my wife in agony. And at the moment i cant even give her an ibuprofen as i dont know how it would react to the Steroids.

At the moment i have reached a dead end on what i can do. The M.S Nurses for the whole South east wales consists of 2 Nurses one which is off due to Maternity leave, It is a Joke, I really want to complain about this, does anyone know how best to go about this ? perhaps our local MP perhaps the Echo or is there a complaints procedure within the National Health service. The Cuts within the NHS is massive and her care compared to the rest of the world when it comes to M.S is appalling. Even third world countries offer better care. At the moment i am so angry, But as i'm writing this the Wife has just got out of bed and the pain has subsided a bit. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Re: Can't say how angry i really am !!!

Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:32 pm

sorry to hear that mate, good luck with everything :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:33 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:This is non Footy. My Wife as most of you know suffers from Multiple Sclerosis and for the last few days she has been unwell with mainly terrible burning and pain in her legs. With M.S patients you have to leave it 48 hours before seeking medical attention unless it is really serious. So when she needed to get into contact with her M.S team she was met with a recorded message that they was all on holiday until March 7th and if its an emergency contact your Doctor WTF :shock: She contacted her Doctor only to be told that they couldn't she her until the next day. Even though she told them She had M.S and she suspected she was having a relapse they still told her they couldn't see her WTF :shock: . so i thought f**k it i am taking her to Casualty only for the Consultant to admit straight away he knew nothing about M.S and as he was unable to get in contact with her M.S team either (coz they were all on f*cking holiday) He had to look at her letters that she bought with her. He has given her a coarse of massive steroids with the only thing to go on was her paperwork.

Today i had to wait ages a the Chemist after they queried the amount of Steroids do to there strength, but now she is crying her eyes out with the pain and cant walk. No one knows what pain killing relief to give her, I even found the phone number for her Consultant in Newport to get threw to his Secretary only to find out this Guy is on Holiday as well WTF :shock: The secretary to her credit is trying to get advice but it has left my wife in agony. And at the moment i cant even give her an ibuprofen as i dont know how it would react to the Steroids.

At the moment i have reached a dead end on what i can do. The M.S Nurses for the whole South east wales consists of 2 Nurses one which is off due to Maternity leave, It is a Joke, I really want to complain about this, does anyone know how best to go about this ? perhaps our local MP perhaps the Echo or is there a complaints procedure within the National Health service. The Cuts within the NHS is massive and her care compared to the rest of the world when it comes to M.S is appalling. Even third world countries offer better care. At the moment i am so angry, But as i'm writing this the Wife has just got out of bed and the pain has subsided a bit. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Nuclear;

This sounds like an absolute nightmare for you and your wife if I were you I'd report this situation to the Assembly committee on Health & Wellbeing, surely someone on the Assembly Government can help.

http://www.assemblywales.org/bus-home/b ... lg-mem.htm

There are contact details for the committee as well as the civil servants I hope someone can help you for f**k sake this is 2011 surely our soceity needs to look after the people who really need it.

Good Luck :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:35 pm

Steve, I am really Sorry to hear mate, No wonder your angry.

Good luck Mate :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:57 pm

F*cking hell mate that's a shitty situation for you & more so your wife. Fingers crossed you make some progress on this issue & best wishes to the Mrs.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:59 pm

Nukes, sorry to hear about this. You are right to be angry, even more so considering some of the financial wastage I see everyday in work that should be redirected to treating people with conditions like this.

I hope your wife is ok

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Nuclear
i don't know you mate, but this sounds terrible, i have 2 sisters who work in the Heath hospital, i will ask them what the protacol is regarding urgent complaints, which you'rs clearly is...

All the best get back to you.

coops

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks everyone your messages are fantastic. Just typed an email to an MP on a web page put up on this thread and it came back to me failed. I just want to rip someones head off at the moment . Just to say the MRS has unproved a lot in the last hour so fingers crossed that she has turned a corner :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Nukes, I'm glad to hear the pain has subsided for your wife. I hope she is feeling stable?
Did A&E give her a course of steroids and not monitor her? Thats not good.
I have sent you a PM

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:20 pm

Mate try this they may be able to advise you and point you in the right direction.

0808 800 8000-Freephone Helpline number

helpline@mssociety.org.uk -Helpline email service

Open Monday to Friday 9am - 9pm (closed bank holidays)

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:22 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Thanks everyone your messages are fantastic. Just typed an email to an MP on a web page put up on this thread and it came back to me failed. I just want to rip someones head off at the moment . Just to say the MRS has unproved a lot in the last hour so fingers crossed that she has turned a corner :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
who is your mp??

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:23 pm

dougblue wrote:Nukes, I'm glad to hear the pain has subsided for your wife. I hope she is feeling stable?
Did A&E give her a course of steroids and not monitor her? Thats not good.
I have sent you a PM

No just gave her the Steroids. But to be fair she would contact her MS team and then they would contact her Consultant who would prescribe medication which she would take at home. Also they would prescribe pain relief depending on what has happened etc. But the system has totally failed her this time. As for the A&E they were the only ones that tried to help the Lass :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:28 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:This is non Footy. My Wife as most of you know suffers from Multiple Sclerosis and for the last few days she has been unwell with mainly terrible burning and pain in her legs. With M.S patients you have to leave it 48 hours before seeking medical attention unless it is really serious. So when she needed to get into contact with her M.S team she was met with a recorded message that they was all on holiday until March 7th and if its an emergency contact your Doctor WTF :shock: She contacted her Doctor only to be told that they couldn't she her until the next day. Even though she told them She had M.S and she suspected she was having a relapse they still told her they couldn't see her WTF :shock: . so i thought f**k it i am taking her to Casualty only for the Consultant to admit straight away he knew nothing about M.S and as he was unable to get in contact with her M.S team either (coz they were all on f*cking holiday) He had to look at her letters that she bought with her. He has given her a coarse of massive steroids with the only thing to go on was her paperwork.

Nukes, completely understand your frustrations. My consultant keeps fobbing me off with no real solution to what I'm going there with and every time I come back with a bag full of unrelated drugs after waiting 30 mins in the hospital pharmacy.
Heres complaints for Gwent Health Board (or Aneurin Bevan HB as it now is): http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/866/page/40457

I've just made a complaint myself to the LHB because of the pharmacy service, absolutely clueless, 2 separate trips to the hospital pharmacy (cos they wont let me get it anywhere else) and still no medication after I was promised I'd get it today or a phonecall to tell me when it'd be in. I got neither lol.

Hope the complaint goes well and hope you and your wife get some answers soon

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:28 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:Mate try this they may be able to advise you and point you in the right direction.

Top man Stan - they are doing some excellent work! Awesome to see football fans helping no matter what colour

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:37 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:Thanks everyone your messages are fantastic. Just typed an email to an MP on a web page put up on this thread and it came back to me failed. I just want to rip someones head off at the moment . Just to say the MRS has unproved a lot in the last hour so fingers crossed that she has turned a corner :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
who is your mp??

Sent an email to Johnathon Morgan NHS well being MP or something but it failed and it sent it back to me. Not sure who my MP is but i will find out coz i have a few things to say Baz :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:39 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:Mate try this they may be able to advise you and point you in the right direction.

Well top man Stan :ayatollah: the Wife is a member of the MS society so will look into that. Will give them a call tomorrow :D :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:53 pm

Really sorry to hear about your wife Steve, hope she takes a turn for the better.

You could try and contact Dr Tony Jewell the Chief Medical Officer and the Director for Public Health and Health professions

cmooffice@wales.gsi.gov.uk

or this link might be of use to you to voice your anger

http://wales.gov.uk/topics/health/contactus/?lang=en

Hope this helps mate.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:57 pm

sounds shocking fair play.

best wishes to you and your wife :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:03 pm

I Have plenty to go on now. Will look at them all and see which is the best to contact. Its all about how things should change and who to annoy to get these changes. Thanks to you all :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:25 pm

That's horrible to hear Nukes, hope everything gets sorted out pronto.

As I have no idea about this sort of thing, I wouldn't know what to do, but I'd advice contacting your local MP as well as getting in touch with the local media to highlight what a farce the NHS has become.

All the best mate.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:55 pm

Just to say just had a telephone call off a Registrar of Neurology in Newport who has just spoke to my Wife in Length. She explained what the pain was in her leg this afternoon as it seized with a spasm. She has taken our Doctors number and has prescribed a form of Valium tablet for the pain and i should be able to get that tomorrow. Result my time on the phone worked this time. The effects from the Steroids are now kicking in which is nausea but at least we are moving forward. Looking after Cath is my priority now and when she is better i am going to work on why she was let down so badly. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:21 pm

sorry to hear your bad news but don't f**k about go straight to the health secretary at the welsh assembly.i may be able to get some names and contacts for you.I will pm you friday if i have any joy :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:24 pm

shocking mate,sorry to hear your news, :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:25 pm

sorry to hear your bad news but don't f**k about go straight to the health secretary at the welsh assembly.i may be able to get some names and contacts for you.I will pm you friday if i have any joy :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:[/quote]

Cheers Chief that that would be great. Look forward to hearing from you :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:27 pm

NB that is absolutely ridiculous, good luck mate and do whatever you have to do!!!!!

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:40 pm

After reading your initial post & feeling gutted for you & your better half this thread has actually turned into a massively positive thread with lots of advice & leads to go on.

I really hope you find the right solution mate.

Puts footy in perspective & its great as matey said above to see all fans whatever their preference sticking together helping each other out.

Its refreshing.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:55 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:After reading your initial post & feeling gutted for you & your better half this thread has actually turned into a massively positive thread with lots of advice & leads to go on.

I really hope you find the right solution mate.

Puts footy in perspective & its great as matey said above to see all fans whatever their preference sticking together helping each other out.

Its refreshing.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:04 pm

Yes there is an internal NHS complaints procedure and one of our fellow posters has provided a link above.

I would advise you to complain ASP but be careful about what you complain about as they are notorious for closing ranks and making you even angrier. From what I have read from your account they will fob you off if you concentrate too much on complaining about consultants taking holiday's or lack of resources as they have obvious 'get out excuses' by saying that is not their fault as consultant’s are entitled to holiday’s and the Government is cutting resources.

That said I believe you have absolute grounds to make a very serious complaint about your wife’s treatment at the casualty department.

As you had exhausted all the options before going to A & E she was entitled to be classed as a MEDICAL EMERGENCY.

At that point she should have been admitted into hospital where it was their responsibility to arrange for a MS specialist to examine and treat her. Giving her dangerous medication such as steroids on an ‘Ad hoc’ basis is simply irresponsible and frankly dangerous. TBH I am completely shocked and disgusted at that Doctor’s actions which could have put your wife’s life at risk.

That is where you need to concentrate your fire and take it right through the appeals process if they try closing ranks.

I know from personal experience how frustrating these people can be, but get the complaint Email off as early as possible and even contact them directly by phone to state that you believe your wife’s condition is potentially dangerous because of this Doctor’s inexplicable actions and she needs urgent medical attention.

You shouldn’t have to use the complaints procedure to get correct medical attention, but if you are left with no other option then I see no problem using that proceedure for the best interests of your wife.

Tony

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:16 pm

Really sorry to hear that mate, I feel for your wife, you and your family, I hope things improve for her and she gets the treatment she deserves. :(

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:26 pm

Nukes, I'm so angry for you, disgraceful mate. :twisted: