Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ninian to CCS transition - reason for atmosphere?

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:59 pm

The move from Ninian to CCS has highlighted one main aspect in my mind and goes along way to explaining the sharp decline in atmosphere and volatility - we only have up to 10,000 hardcore fans at the very most who are willing to translate their passion for the club into genuine noise and hostility.

Ninian parks smaller capacity and more intimate structure coupled with the historical familiarity certain groups of boys/ fans had with various areas of the ground ensured the main noise was concentrated and blasted from intense sections such as the Grange end, Bob bank, Grandstand next to the aways etc.

The same numbers of fans have now obviously made the move over to CCS however the added/ higher attendances are now made up naturally of the more casual or band wagon fans which is fine - but as we're in a new bigger stadium there is no longer a familiarity with various areas of the new ground with large groups of boys etc (the seats and lack of terrace makes this hugely difficult - especially if your not season ticket holders) and the bigger stands not only absorb and dilute the hardcore element but it it also makes it more difficult to get a genuine noise out of such a vast area, in comparison to the more compact grange end for example.

You would anticipate the smaller pockets of the boys who start the chants etc would act as an ignition for the rest of the stand to join in - but its a rare occurance and something needs to be done urgemtly by the club to address this otherwise we're going down the pan in this respect big time. I used to hold considerable pride in our match day experience when hearing and reading of fans accounts from other teams of their experiences at Ninian etc...now its just embarrassment as we hang by our finger tips on old reps.

I sincerely hope the club is considering this issue seriously and is building a direction which they would like to take the issue for the good of us fans otherwise we're going to have very distant memories of what is was like to be the real 12th man. Lets hope pre-season (hopefully for the Prem) this is sorted or at least inroads are made because imo this season is lost already in this respect.

We're 3rd in the league with a massive chance of making it to the Prem automatically here, but I dont think I'm alone in still feeling pretty pissed off because of our timid conduct in the stadium - for all of Ninains faults, we would never have felt like this there. im aware we needed to move, but this is such a vital aspect that unfortunately I cant see an improvement in any time soon. I hope I'm wrong... :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Ninian to CCS transition - reason for atmosphere?

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:11 pm

if we wer third in the league in ninian u wouldn hear yourself think. I feel proud to have been part of quality atmospheres in the past and its painfull to see our repatation going down the pan. young kids who are growing up now wont realise how famous we once wer for atmosphere and that is sad. we need to bee in one place like we are when wer away . we need to stand like we do when wer away. we can do these things in the canton ! get in the canton and get our repataion back to what it used to be ! dont lets the plastics take over ! there begining to run things !

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:17 pm

16silverhillbobbank wrote:if we wer third in the league in ninian u wouldn hear yourself think. I feel proud to have been part of quality atmospheres in the past and its painfull to see our repatation going down the pan. young kids who are growing up now wont realise how famous we once wer for atmosphere and that is sad. we need to bee in one place like we are when wer away . we need to stand like we do when wer away. we can do these things in the canton ! get in the canton and get our repataion back to what it used to be ! dont lets the plastics take over ! there begining to run things !

Bang on mate...its so frustrating. Your right, our away support fully reflects what we can get it like, we've got to mirror that at home as well :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:31 pm

the lack of atmosphere may also be instigated by the stunned silence and look in awe of Rambos ability recently! :D :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:54 pm

The atmosphere inside the new stadium for games like Leciester (all 4 of them), Swansea (2-1 win) Bristol City (3-0) are an examples that CCS can generate a good atmosphere when it wants to.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:15 pm

Amazing how so many people forget how quiet Ninian was most games.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:19 pm

nerd wrote:Amazing how so many people forget how quiet Ninian was most games.

Tbh i did consider that when i wrote this post, but what made me not acknowledge it is that i firmly believe and most people would agree that if we had this team and this amount of current success we would not have the atmosphere we have CCS at NInian :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:21 pm

one of the main reasons for the lack of atmosphere at the new stadium is down to the roof,due to the height being left for any futher second tier,if u see other grounds ie reading they only had around 50 to 80 people singing but they were high at the back where the roof was closer to the fans so when they did make an effort to sing they did make a bit of noise

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:38 pm

any development on moving fans around? I would like to move away fans down to the canton on the corner. So keep all singers in the canton, and the other fans that stand by the away fans to come down the opposite end of the ninain stand. This will help to keep the away fans quiet and make it a more demanding place to com like the ninian. Prefer this to brinign all the fans to the canton tbh, because you want to keep banter with away fans. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:41 pm

or just swap the canton and and family stand around like the old ninian set up

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:46 pm

Ye i thinking that but prefer canton for some reason!