Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" A QUESTION FOR TO EVERY FOOTBALL FAN "

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:05 pm

Do you Believe a Football Fan should Support their LOCAL FOOTBALL LEAUGE/NON LEAGUE CLUB ?
(From the area they were Born).

If he Does Not, Is he a Proper/Real Fan ?

I've Asked this Question, because I see and hear so many arguments about it.

Re: " A QUESTION FOR TO EVERY FOOTBALL FAN "

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:13 pm

well i was born in grange town i support ccfc not grange quinns ha ha ha

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:19 pm

I think you should support your local club. It's the way I was brought up.

Too many plastcs and glory hunters, if they followed their local clubs and paid their way then maybe the local clubs would be that bit better and be able to compete. The locals here didn't even back us when we were in the top flight and we had a smashing team that was just that bit short of competing.

It's great to see the City gates up to what they are, from the 4 figure crowds when I first watched them. :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:23 pm

I think people from Cardiff, bristol, swansea should support their team and the surrounding areas should support one of the big clubs close to them or at least they have a choice. There is nothing wrong with someone from Neath supporting City and I class them as a true supporter, but people from Neath have got a choice of 2 clubs to support in my eyes. As said though, people from these Cities should support the city they are from, but we don't see this happening.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:24 pm

Football is the best sport on earth. You cant help who you support, it just happens.
But I believe you should chose to support a team away from your local town, you should still help out your local.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:31 pm

In an ideal world yes but you cannot begrudge an exile who follows their tem due to certain links (i.e. family, relation to a player etc)

I follow city due to having a cousin who was scouted by Cardiff, I was taken to watch Cardiff play and I instantly caught the bug. Swansea is the closest professional team to me but I chose Cardiff. If things might have been different and I was taken to a Swansea match I could easily have grown up following them.

Every individual has a reason for supporting their team, weather I agree with it or not is a different matter as I am surrounded by glory hunting fans down my way who don’t understand why I pay to watch Cardiff play when I can just watch the highlights on the telly.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:38 pm

Yes i do, if the 'proper fans' (an i dont usually like using that term) then the football league would collapse from within which would then have a hugely detremental impact on the Premiership. All plastics do is help elevate the Premiership literally Nationwide and Worldwide, its the fans that 'support' their local clubs that provide the platform for the plastic fan to enjoy doing what they do

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:55 pm

imo you should support your local team, i am so proud to be a cardiff fan, knowing that its not about how many trophys we win but about being part of your local community and identity. its a free country though and you won't stop the many thousands of liverpool man u ect fans from south wales being plastics.
also,its a catch 22 situation with the so called plastics, we want them to come to cardiff city games but the more that come the worse the atmosphere gets at matches .

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:55 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Do you Believe a Football Fan should Support their LOCAL FOOTBALL LEAUGE/NON LEAGUE CLUB ?

You should support yr local team unless you have an emotional/family attachment to another club. I was born in Cardigan which means that i should be a jack if you say you should support yr nearest club-as you know Annis i have a lot of respect for our west walian cousins but i thank the lord my old man was a bluebird :ayatollah: ;)

I grew up in a variety of places due to my dads job but he was a CCFC fan as were both my Grandads. I moved to Cardiff when i was 9 (1982) and dad took me to NP every other Saturday during season. I moved away from Cardiff to Carmarthen when i was 17 and onto Bath when i was 19. Since then i have lived in Wolves, Dartford, Bradford-on-Avon, Devizes and Andover and i have held season tickets for a fair few years in that time. My eldest boy was born in Bath and my first words to him were I'm yr dad and yr a CCFC fan and we beat Hartlepool 2-0 yesterday. My other kids were born in Salisbury and Winchester and again they are CCFC and have no choice in the matter.

Supporting yr local team/yr families club as opposed to supporting a top premiership club is a no brainer to me. When we got to the Cup Final it was fantastic-all those plastic fans in my local had no idea how i felt. I think Jonathan Owens film about CCFC sums up how us true bluebirds felt on cup final day. His great quote was about Man Utd fans not enjoying the success because they had never felt the lows summed it up for me.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:59 pm

Yes I think you should but thats being hypocritical as my local team is cewnty :oops: , unless you have non football parents I dont see how you can choose :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:03 pm

I don't mind if someone in Cardiff supported Man U, as long as they're committed to supporting that club for their entire life. I see a fair few people in Cardiff wearing Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal etc. tops and half of them never even go to a game let alone attempt to go to one. Some don't even watch the games on tv, which is what annoys me. I know someone who lives in Caerphilly who is a Man U fan and goes to every home game and some away games. That to me is not being a glory fan.
Another thing about fans that never go to games because they're not bothered, they are fickle. You see people calling for the managers head (e.g. Man U lose to wolves, first loss of the season and you get people on 606 calling for his head - they piss me off).

Anyway rant over :) Don't mind who people support as long as they're a committed and loyal fan

Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:14 pm

The way i see it, you dont get a choice who you support.....you just do, i live in newport, my old man was born in glasgow and lived in the black country, he moved down here i came along and took me to NP when i was 5 to watch a game, he doesnt really like football but knew i loved it and just happened my first live match was city, quite easily could have been cwenty or jacks or wurzels.......first love is city...thank f*cking god!!! :ayatollah:
What annoys me is people who when i tell them i support city say "yeah, but who in the premiership" you can only truly support one team!

Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:21 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Do you Believe a Football Fan should Support their LOCAL FOOTBALL LEAUGE/NON LEAGUE CLUB ?

Cardiff is not my local team, does that make me not a proper/real fan? (By the way I went to my 15th away game of the season yesterday!)

Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:23 pm

Claire wrote:

Cardiff is not my local team, does that make me not a proper/real fan? (By the way I went to my 15th away game of the season yesterday!)

Plastic..... :lol:

Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:39 pm

PtB wrote:
Claire wrote:

Plastic..... :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:41 pm

Its up to that person. When kids support the top teams because they win things in the end it means nothing to them. They don't end up watching them and they don't know what they are missing in a sense you have to go through the bad times to appreciate the good times. But the sad thing those people dont understand what i am saying which is sad.
I was born over the Waters but i have Welsh Family from here and i have a very strong connection of belonging and i have supported the City for around 36 years and never regretted it.
I dont understand people supporting more than one team especially getting involved in either Celtic Rangers i haven't got time for that and i aint just having a go at Fishy for that because Annis is the same i just don't get it.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:01 pm

You can support who you want, for whatever reason

The important thing is to stick with them thru' thick and thin, come what may. The more lows, the better the highs

That's the way to get the most enjoyment out of supporting a team

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:04 pm

Claire wrote:

Claire, No Tauton is, But your Family are from down here and even if they were Not, I Respect All 3 of you who go to virtually every game and were Not even a Premiership Club. Your Not Supporting them for the Glory Only :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:04 pm

bopman wrote:You can support who you want, for whatever reason

The important thing is to stick with them thru' thick and thin, come what may. The more lows, the better the highs

that's fine, but...

You're a Malaysian football fan who suddenly just hppens to like us due to Malaysian owners.

Seriously think that a) our achievements mean as much to them as to us and b) they'd not dump the team as soon as the owners go?

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:06 pm

local team is swansea!!!
so annis io think your talking crap :D :ayatollah:
no chance of me supporting them

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:06 pm

nerd wrote:

that's fine, but...

You're a Malaysian football fan who suddenly just hppens to like us due to Malaysian owners.

Seriously think that a) our achievements mean as much to them as to us and b) they'd not dump the team as soon as the owners go?

Does it matter, their money is just as green as ours

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:09 pm

Got taken to watch Celtic as young kid my father used to take me too most the european away games and used to watch them home alot aswell as city so it's what your brought up with Cardiff city before any other club allways tho :ayatollah: :ayatollah: !

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:10 pm

IsThatUJohnWayne wrote:
nerd wrote:

that's fine, but...

Does it matter, their money is just as green as ours

Financially to the club, sure. Money the issue - although I some how doubt Malaysian fans will contribute anywhere near as much, for example.

But... the club don't represent them or their community.

Indeed, if money is the only relevant issue, then Man Utd have loyal fans, what with all of those living in the stockbroker belt...

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:13 pm

They contribute more than all of us, whenever i see them they are all kitted out, they look like a walking club shop :lol:

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:39 pm

Not where they were born, but where they grow up yes.................

The plastic manc and scouse types really piss me off, if they all had supported Cardiff we would probably already be in the Premiership........

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:44 pm

No I dont. I dont think any club has a right to demand its local population support it.

I know a number of people who support Cardiff and have no connection to the area at all. If they come and watch the team, support them then who are we to judge them from the closiness of our ground?

A proper football fan picks his team for life and goes and support them whereever they are.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:08 pm

For me its not about should, I think you wanting too and naturally feeling the passion for that club. I personally cannot understand any football fan from Cardiff who don't really support Cardiff, or even check their scores...I know way too many.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:15 pm

It really depends.
I don't think anyone would seriously suggest I should support Ton Pentre AFC instead of Cardiff City (I briefly follow how they are doing - but Cardiff are my team).
Plus, a lot of people get watching clubs because of their other halfs, family or friends. My gf isn't a huge football fan, yet follows Cardiff because of me. Are we going to say that she shouldn't?

Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:22 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Claire wrote:

Claire, No Tauton is, But your Family are from down here and even if they were Not, I Respect All 3 of you who go to virtually every game and were Not even a Premiership Club. Your Not Supporting them for the Glory Only :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

glory? cardiff? its impossible to be a glory supporter whilst following cardiff :lol: and thats what i love about it!
how ever if we get promoted we will then get plastic fans who will generate a nice amount of cash for us. Look at manure for example. :)

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:14 pm

Totally agree annis, when I was a kid I started to support Liverpool like my mates and they were the team at the time (I'm 36 by the way) started going down the city when I was about 11 and realised that although we were in the lower leagues, I was actually supporting my local team every week and not just supporting the top team. I hate seeing kids dressed in man utd and liverpoool shirts even when watching the city. Total respect to all proper fans who support their home team no matter how shit they may be.

Gary