Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " A QUESTION FOR TO EVERY FOOTBALL FAN "

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:22 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Do you Believe a Football Fan should Support their LOCAL FOOTBALL LEAUGE/NON LEAGUE CLUB ?
(From the area they were Born).

If he Does Not, Is he a Proper/Real Fan ?

I've Asked this Question, because I see and hear so many arguments about it.

I was born at Kings College hospital Camberwell which was 2 miles from The Old Den & lived in the area up til my teens so I should be a hardcore Millwall supporter. But I was first taken to QPR when I was 4 & that was it.

What I will say though is in London its slightly different you have Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham, Fulham, Millwall, QPR, Charlton, Crystal Palace, Barnet, Leyton Orient, Brentford to choose from & in relatively close proximity, if you live in or near Cardiff you have absolutely no excuse supporting any other team than the bluebirds.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:31 pm

i think you should support your local team but often you can be influenced by who your old man supports. luckily my old man is a cardiff fan! :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:35 pm

at the age of about 11-12, i supported liverpool, as everyone did,,, over the park playing football ,i was always toshack,, my uncle was a steward down the city,,, i think it was 76- or 1978, that i went to my first game, at home to peterbourough, we won 6-2 , i was in the canton end, running up and down ,those wooden planks they had .as seats, since that day, although i didnt watch the game, to busy playing, ive been gripped by the city, i missed, a season here and there, due to unemployment, family etc,, but city are my only team, i cant get worked up over any other team,,, the problem we got is,dads support one of the top 4, and there offsping are brainwashed , into thinking, chelsea are the best team in the world, bit like me with the city,,, im proud to say, ive brain washed all my family in to thinking cardiff city are the best team in the world :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:11 pm

I think ideally it would be nice if everyone supported their local club but I've met supporters for us who aren't local who are more dedicated and better fans than local lads so I don't really mind if they're not local. If you stick with them through thick and thin it shouldn't really matter. Each to their own but personally, I'll always support Cardiff.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:03 am

I believe you should support your local team.

What's the point in supporting a team like Manchester United or Arsenal? Just because they are a top team? You know they wouldn't support them if they were in the Championship or lower, or even if they weren't in the top 4! I don't even know why I'm using the word "support" here, because if you don't go to games like a loyal fan then you're not supporting are you? You're just sitting in your armchair wanting a team to win for no reason other than you think they're a good team. There's no emotion or passion if you support these types of teams if you're not from the area in which the club is from. The same goes to supporting a team who's not even in the top 4, if it's not YOUR city/town then I don't get how you can have love for a different club. The only time I accept it when people don't support their local team is when someone in their family, like their dad, was from a different town/city and brought you up supporting them. Or if the club is close-ish to where you live.

Some of you may disagree with me, but this is just my opinion.

City till I die. :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:20 am

Well i have supported Liverpool all my life and im not going to change because someone calls me a "Glory supporter" or what ever. i supported Liverpool long before i got into Cardiff and actually only got into cardiff because we were playing a game to go top in 2006n i think it was against brum. ever since then i'v loved it and i have had a season ticket for the last two years. i dont sit in my seat and get on the back of the players like some supporters do i just stand and sing and support the players. as with liverpool i try to get up there as much times as i can to watch the game. the last one i went to was the fa cup tie v man u were we lost 1-0. If any of you are wondering why i support them it's because when tosh went to liverpool my dad took interest in them and has ever since and thats just how i have been brought up, I do not favour one team over another i like them both equally through thick and thin. obviously this hasnt been the best few months for liverpool but unlike many of my friends who apparently "support" them i was still shouting for them when we were playing shit and in the relagation zone. i really dont care if i get called a glory hunter or what ever because i know i aint

Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:31 am

Forever Blue wrote:Do you Believe a Football Fan should Support their LOCAL FOOTBALL LEAUGE/NON LEAGUE CLUB ?

As well as CCFC.......I support Port Talbot Town.....I was brought up in the street next door and overlooking the ground :)

Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:35 am

Football needs plastic fans, without them Sky wouldn't get as many subscriptions to its Sports Channels and the clubs would suffer financially.

Finally whoever you support is down to personal choice, there are no rules end of.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:47 am

If i was to my support local Club then being from Aberdare i should probably be watching Merthyr Tydfi although they are currently playing closer to Cardiff (Taffs Well) than they are to Merthyr. :lol:

Now my father was a big Swansea fan and used to watch them when they were in the Old 4th Division but at the time i had no interest in watching Swansea as i was a dirty Leeds fan until my Uncle took me to Ninian Park when i was around 9. It made an impression on me and from '71 on i was watching City at home regular and was hooked for life :ayatollah:

I love Cardiff City and when my Son was born i notified the club and at the time he was the youngest ever Junior Bluebird and although he works on Saturday he still follows the Bluebirds and comes to all our midweek games. My Daughter also started supporting the Bluebirds during our run to Wembley as had a season ticket ever since and doesn't miss a home game travelling from Swansea where she's in Uni.

So there you have it my whole family are City fans but i just wonder what might have happened if i had gone with my Father to the Vetch Field to watch the Jacks the thought makes me shuddder :D

With regards to plastics if we get promoted there are going to be many more thousands of them visiting the CCS and we have to embrace them and hopefully turn them into City fans because if we are to grow and hopefully if we get there establish ourselves in the Premiership then we are going to need a whole new generation of City fans and it really doesn't matter where they come from as long as they fall in love with our club like i did over 40 years ago :old: :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:55 am

It's an inappropriate question in that it the answer has no effect on the questioner's life. It can only be asked by someone who has to boost his/her own ego because they have nothing else to feel proud of. It is an attempt to belittle others while feeling superior. It is an unneccessary judgement of choice that has no good associated with it. There is no definition of a proper fan therefore there can be no answer. It is tantamount to racism in it's undertones as it ties in with where a person was born.

Is there any need to define a proper fan? Does anti social behaviour make anyone more or less a proper fan?

There are so many people supporting clubs for a variety of reasons none of which should matter to anyone who doesn't want to make an issue of it. It implies a demeaning of people who have migrated from their home town and adopted another.

At the end of the day what good comes of such a question? What is it's purpose?

Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:07 pm

I've had many a 'debate' with plastics over this and IMHO, you can't class yourself a 'supporter' or a fan (short for fanatical!) unless you actually watch your side play live. This would more often than not be your local side as your able to visit regularly.

I don't understand the plastics who, in the office / factory on a Monday morning say 'we', 'us' and 'them' cos they saw Match Of The Day. I also don't understand those that say there's nothing wrong having an 'affiliation' for a side 200 miles away. Strange then, that they didn't pick Rochdale / Preston / Tranmere / Barnet instead
:roll:

That's one huge reason why City going up would be out of this world - to reward all those City fans who've had to put up with some of the shit of the dungeon years. Would also make the Sky plastic brigade look even sillier.

But for me, the best bit would be collecting City player Top Trumps with my lad like I was a kid again chasing Paninis.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:03 pm

I live in Scotland and follow Dunfermline as well as Cardiff. I've been a fan for 18 years now and try to get to 6-9 games a season. Dont think I'm a plastic and I love coming down to watch Cardiff. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:19 pm

if i did that i would have to support a team in sydney. :o

you should support whichever team you like not the one your friends like or the one that is doing the best at the time.