A forum for all things Cardiff City

***Important Exclusive Re: General Meeting***

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:46 pm

On CCMB now.

;)

Which Is always 4 days late with News :lol:

Re: ***Important Exclusive Re: General Meeting***

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:54 pm

Ahhh, that's old news butt. Annis told us all about that yesterday :lol: :ayatollah: just kidding :lol: great news, my only worry is the verbally agrees part.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:59 pm

In a telephone conversation with Cardiff City Supporters' Trust secretary Geraint Jones on Monday afternoon, Cardiff City Football Club (Holdings) Ltd secretary and board member Alan Whiteley verbally agreed to the Trust's recent request for a General Meeting of the company's shareholders.

Mr Whiteley gave an undertaking to formally respond to the Trust's request in writing by the end of this week. A date for the General Meeting will be announced in due course.

If we don't hear anything by the end of the week, we'll press on with Plan B (getting 5% of the shareholders to request a General Meeting). However, it sounds like the club have agreed to our initial request, so it's looking positive.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:04 pm

I'm sure someone will advise if this is technically possible or not, but am I being too cynical in suggesting they might be calling this general meeting for as late a date as possible, then postpone it at the last minute delaying it yet again? What I don't understand is it seemes Peter is desperately trying to cling on to his untenable position, yet the only chance he has of cashing in on his shares (which allegedly might come in handy for a few personal matters he has) is if we are taken over, yet his being here is hindering that likelihood immeasurably?

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Glad to hear it :) As I posted on CCMB though:

However, one thing annoys me (about the club, that is): Weren't the club meant to respond by last Friday? Then they said they were holding a board meeting on Monday? Then it turned out that this was a lie and there was no board meeting on Monday? And now the club have *verbally* agreed to an AGM? Now they *should* write by the end of the week?

Just seems like they are delaying things, as usual?

If it is true that they said there was a board meeting on Monday and that turned out to be a lie, I'd personally have pressed ahead with the EGM route regardless.

Hopefully this is real and not a delay tactic though.

Thanks Trust :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:05 pm

So is it an AGM or EGM?

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:09 pm

ihatealiens wrote:So is it an AGM or EGM?

It's a General Meeting.

Neither AGMs or EGMs apply to companies of CCFC's size under the current laws.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:12 pm

BluebirdsFan101 wrote:Glad to hear it :)

If it is true that they said there was a board meeting on Monday and that turned out to be a lie, I'd personally have pressed ahead with the EGM route regardless.

Company secretary Alan Whiteley (the man our letter had to be addressed to) was out of the country for some of last week. We knew that. However, he club did respond verbally last Friday when he got back. He said the directors would discuss our request on Monday.

Apparently, some of the directors did indeed discuss our request and agreed to hold a General Meeting.

So far so good.

If we don't hear anything by the end of the week, we will put Plan B into action (getting 5% of the shareholders to request a General Meeting). However, it sounds like the club have agreed to our initial request, so it's looking positive.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:12 pm

The Lone Gunman wrote:
ihatealiens wrote:So is it an AGM or EGM?

It's a General Meeting.

Neither AGMs or EGMs apply to companies of CCFC's size under the current laws.

oh really I thought there was a distinction between the two. I stand corrected

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:13 pm

The Lone Gunman wrote:
BluebirdsFan101 wrote:Glad to hear it :)

Company secretary Alan Whiteley (the man our letter had to be addressed to) was out of the country for some of last week. We knew that. However, he club did respond verbally last Friday when he got back. He said the directors would discuss our request on Monday.

Apparently, some of the directors did indeed discuss our request and agreed to hold a General Meeting.

So far so good.

If we don't hear anything by the end of the week, we will put Plan B into action (getting 5% of the shareholders to request a General Meeting). However, it sounds like the club have agreed to our initial request, so it's looking positive.

Replied over at CCMB, thanks a lot :)

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:15 pm

ihatealiens wrote:oh really I thought there was a distinction between the two. I stand corrected

There used to be and, in reality, I suppose there still is a difference (ie: either the club calls the meeting or the shareholders do). However, I believe the term for both is simply General Meeting these days.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:28 pm

The Lone Gunman wrote:
ihatealiens wrote:oh really I thought there was a distinction between the two. I stand corrected

There used to be and, in reality, I suppose there still is a difference (ie: either the club calls the meeting or the shareholders do). However, I believe the term for both is simply General Meeting these days.

It will be interesting to know whats in the accounts but of course it won't be an up to date picture. In a "general meeting" will accurate, complete and up-to-date information as to the clubs current trading position be available or not? and will any questions relating to this information be entertained?

As for it being a "General Meeting", I cannot find any references other than this to a "General Meeting" - All general meetings other than AGMs are called EGMs.. I do not wish to tread on any toes here, but we really need to be sure we have all bases covered, because the individuals involved here have hardly been open and transparent with us to date. Call me a sceptic, I may be wrong, but I wouldn't put any trust in what our chairman and chums say verbally.
Last edited by ihatealiens on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:20 pm

Is it possible to put the re-election of the Chairman on the agenda at a General Meeting?

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:22 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Is it possible to put the re-election of the Chairman on the agenda at a General Meeting?

I have got to be honest, I dont like this term "General Meeting". It smells a liitle to me.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:36 pm

ihatealiens wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:Is it possible to put the re-election of the Chairman on the agenda at a General Meeting?

I have got to be honest, I dont like this term "General Meeting". It smells a liitle to me.

I'm no expert but I believe a 'General Meeting of Shareholders' can be either 'Ordinary' (Annual) or 'Extraordinary' (EGM)

Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:24 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
ihatealiens wrote:

I'm no expert but I believe a 'General Meeting of Shareholders' can be either 'Ordinary' (Annual) or 'Extraordinary' (EGM)

Section 301 onwards on the following document is applicable methinks if you iz a Philadelphia Lawyer - but I believe there is a distiction between AGM and EGM so will be interesting to see as to which one it is the club are agreeing - http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts2006/pd ... 046_en.pdf

Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:55 pm

ihatealiens wrote:

I have got to be honest, I dont like this term "General Meeting". It smells a little to me.

:lol:

You'll have to get the government to alter the Companies Act then!

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:32 pm

The Lone Gunman wrote:
ihatealiens wrote:

I have got to be honest, I dont like this term "General Meeting". It smells a little to me.

:lol:

You'll have to get the government to alter the Companies Act then!

I dont suppose it matters what its called as long as we get an accurate, complete and up-to-date information as to the clubs current trading position.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:36 pm

ihatealiens wrote:I dont suppose it matters what its called as long as we get an accurate, complete and up-to-date information as to the clubs current trading position.

That's right. Some awkward questions were asked at the last General Meeting and there was plenty of scrutiny by the shareholders present as regards the facts and figures, despite the club appearing to be in a much better position back then. That meeting was interesting, but this one should be even more so.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:37 pm

The Lone Gunman wrote:
ihatealiens wrote:I dont suppose it matters what its called as long as we get an accurate, complete and up-to-date information as to the clubs current trading position.

That's right. Some awkward questions were asked at the last General Meeting and there was plenty of scrutiny by the shareholders present as regards the facts and figures, despite the club appearing to be in a much better position back then. That meeting was interesting, but this one should be even more so.

Well good luck with it anyway

Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:23 pm

saladthedragon wrote:I'm sure someone will advise if this is technically possible or not, but am I being too cynical in suggesting they might be calling this general meeting for as late a date as possible, then postpone it at the last minute delaying it yet again? What I don't understand is it seemes Peter is desperately trying to cling on to his untenable position, yet the only chance he has of cashing in on his shares (which allegedly might come in handy for a few personal matters he has) is if we are taken over, yet his being here is hindering that likelihood immeasurably?

If there is a takeover or investment in the offing I think its in the whole boards interests to delay this as long as possible so they can turn around and show the shareholders that there really isnt a problem.

As for Ridsdale, then i'd say the sale of his shares is absolutely crucial in relation to his personal matters.

The year before last he earnt £1m, but only actually got £500k in cash as the rest was in shares in CCFC. So the total tax bill of £400k was against payment of only £500k in cash - now, God knows what he's done with that money, but it seems that he was relying on more money coming in personally to pay his bills. he's got the chance of getting somewhere between £500k and up to £1.5m for his shares by getting the best deal.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:24 pm

its a pittance innit :lol:

Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:51 pm

:ayatollah: