Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

O/T Jobs: Labouring

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:31 pm

There must be a fair few on here in the construction trade. Anyone on here got any advice for me? Out of work right now, Looking to get into Labouring in the Cardiff area, got my CSCS Card, also COSHH and Manual Handling certificates etc, but I don't have any actual experience doing it and every vacancy that comes up with the job centre and so on asks for previous experience and don't seem to be interested in anyone with no experience. Anyone have any tips or advice to get round this and find an employer?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: O/T Jobs: Labouring

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:35 pm

McMurdo wrote:There must be a fair few on here in the construction trade. Anyone on here got any advice for me? Out of work right now, Looking to get into Labouring in the Cardiff area, got my CSCS Card, also COSHH and Manual Handling certificates etc, but I don't have any actual experience doing it and every vacancy that comes up with the job centre and so on asks for previous experience and don't seem to be interested in anyone with no experience. Anyone have any tips or advice to get round this and find an employer?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

try the music and drama place on north rd,wilmot dixon,and infront of macro,trefolrest laing doing a college,also sherman theatre being redone,goodluck :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks i'll check them out! :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:51 pm

The best advice I can give you is go to a actual Building site and ask for the Construction Manager, explain you have your CSCS etc and you have no experience but are willing to learn and work hard. You are showing willingness by just going and asking. I've just got back into the Construction trade and I've done this many times and always got the start. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:22 pm

Thanks Marc! :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:35 pm

I am a construction manager for a ver large firm and to be honest we always use agencies. There are loads but try anders elite, fasttrack and options. Experience isnt really a problem as they have sent out some absolutely drain dead mongs in the past. To be honest though, labouring is hard work and crap money but good on you for trying to work and trying to get a bit of wedge in. Any advice then feel free to contact me, a mate of mine who is a very well known city fan and a friend of Annis works for us as i got him a job and he had no experience and is now probably one of the best labourers i have ever had. P.s I used to work for Willmott Dixon and they are wankers!

Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:29 pm

joninian1927 wrote:I am a construction manager for a ver large firm and to be honest we always use agencies. There are loads but try anders elite, fasttrack and options. Experience isnt really a problem as they have sent out some absolutely drain dead mongs in the past. To be honest though, labouring is hard work and crap money but good on you for trying to work and trying to get a bit of wedge in. Any advice then feel free to contact me, a mate of mine who is a very well known city fan and a friend of Annis works for us as i got him a job and he had no experience and is now probably one of the best labourers i have ever had. P.s I used to work for Willmott Dixon and they are wankers!

mate,willmot may be wankers,but as you said all use agencies,im an electrician and have no connection with the builders,at this time you take what you can get,when times are good you pick and choose :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:36 pm

Cheers Lads, yeah just desperate for money really, bills to pay, football costs a heap as we all know and willing to work hard for my money even though I have no experience and aint the biggest lad in the World. :lol: It's just finding the way in. Really wish I learnt a trade when I left school instead of going to University. Probably wouldn't be in this position now! Will try everything suggested! Thanks! :ayatollah: