A forum for all things Cardiff City

Welsh FA sorry for Wales v England ticket blunder

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:42 pm

What a shambles - Will they ever learn? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 412072.stm

16:57 GMT, Wednesday, 2 March 2011

Welsh FA sorry for Wales v England ticket blunder

The Millennium Stadium is set to be a 69,000 sell-out for Wales v England
The FAW will ask some fans to return tickets for a Wales v England qualifier after selling 1,500 seats in the Millennium Stadium that do not exist.
The Football Association of Wales had said that the Saturday, 26 March Euro 2012 game in Cardiff was a sell-out before the administrative error.
It has asked the FA to ensure England fans return 951 tickets for the match.
The FAW admits it is not just English fans affected, as 549 Welsh supporters will also suffer disappointment.
"It is with regret that I must confirm that the Football Association of Wales has had to reduce the allocation of tickets for the Wales v England match on Saturday, March 26," said FAW chief executive Jonathan Ford.
"The reason for this reduction is that the total tickets that the Football Association of Wales understood could be made available for sale was incorrect.

On behalf of the Football Association of Wales, I would like to apologise unreservedly for the disappointment this will cause
Welsh FA chief executive Jonathan Ford
"On behalf of the Football Association of Wales, I would like to apologise unreservedly for the disappointment this will cause."
The tickets were part of an additional allocation of 1,500 for the Millennium Stadium showdown issued last month which sold out within four hours.
It has now been discovered that the majority of these tickets were only released because of an administrative error and should not have been sold at all.
Despite efforts to resolve the situation, the FA has written to the supporters concerned, confirming that refunds will be made, both for the tickets and any delivery charge incurred.
The FA has confirmed that the original 7,500 tickets that were sold through the "englandfans loyalty scheme" will be honoured.
"The FA shares the disappointment fans will feel at being let down for this crucial match," said the FA in their lengthy letter to fans, outlining the seriousness of the problem.
The 2012 European Championship Group G qualifier is set to be Wales' first Millennium Stadium sell-out for five-and-a-half years.
The Welsh FA confirmed last week that it had sold all 69,000 tickets for the first home game for new boss Gary Speed.
Wales are bottom of their Euro 2012 qualifying group after three defeats in three games while unbeaten England are second on seven points, three points behind group leaders Montenegro with a game in hand.

Re: Welsh FA sorry for Wales v England ticket blunder

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:43 pm

Its pathetic, they have had months and months to sort this out.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:45 pm

MalagaCF wrote:What a shambles - Will they ever learn? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Exactly, Carl Curtis said in one of his updates and yet another mb sniped and laughed yet again, when will they learn, This is why the UPDATES ARE GOOD and KEEP OUR FANS INFORMED, The updates will talk about the past, But they also tell whats going to revealed in weeks to come.

Rem Matthews to Celtic. Rem Craig Bellamey Rem Koumas etc etc

They have been asking All the Local Clubs to return their tickets as they still Dont know what theyve Sold so far.

WHAT A SHAMBLES .

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:53 pm

As a gold member I hope I get the tickets I've been charged for! Otherwise there'll be war! :twisted: :lol:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:55 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
MalagaCF wrote:What a shambles - Will they ever learn? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Exactly, Carl Curtis said in one of his updates and yet another mb sniped and laughed yet again, when will they learn :roll:

They have been asking All the Local Clubs to return their tickets as they still Dont know what theyve Sold so far.

WHAT A SHAMBLES .

Can you imagine a father promising his sons and daughters that he has got them tickets, then explaining that they dont. :oops:
Cant believe its a sell-out at 69,000. Must be a massive segregation. :|

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:56 pm

McMurdo wrote:As a gold member I hope I get the tickets I've been charged for! Otherwise there'll be war! :twisted: :lol:

I am as well, they took my money in December, But when I went down there 2 weeks ago, they did not know whether they were coming or going, it was worse than a Shambles.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:57 pm

McMurdo wrote:As a gold member I hope I get the tickets I've been charged for! Otherwise there'll be war! :twisted: :lol:

You should be ok, Im a gold member too. Cant see them paying our £25 back plus all the tournament tickets which people bought. :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:00 pm

Bunch of clowns, it doesn't suprise me as they have pissed me about in the past also.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:00 pm

MalagaCF wrote:

You should be ok, Im a gold member too. Cant see them paying our £25 back plus all the tournament tickets which people bought. :ayatollah:

Corky, has told me that We will Def be Always first on their lists.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:08 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
MalagaCF wrote:

Corky, has told me that We will Def be Always first on their lists.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:10 pm

MalagaCF wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Exactly, Carl Curtis said in one of his updates and yet another mb sniped and laughed yet again, when will they learn :roll:

WHAT A SHAMBLES .

Can you imagine a father promising his sons and daughters that he has got them tickets, then explaining that they dont. :oops:
Cant believe its a sell-out at 69,000. Must be a massive segregation. :|

That would be very hurtful.
I still maintain they are Not Sold out and they dont know what they are doing.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:28 pm

Dear Paul,

FAN: xxxxxxxx
Order Reference: xxxxxxxx

We are writing with regard to the upcoming match against Wales in Cardiff on Saturday 26 March.

Unfortunately The Football Association of Wales (FAW) has recently informed us that they will not be able to provide the ticket you have purchased for this match.

We have been asked to forward the below statement from Jonathan Ford, the Chief Executive for the FAW.
Message to englandfans

It is with regret that I must confirm that the Football Association of Wales has had to reduce the allocation of tickets for the Wales v England match on Saturday 26th March. The reason for this reduction is that the total tickets that the Football Association of Wales understood could be made available for sale was incorrect.

After we received notice of this error, we have done everything possible to protect The FA's allocation of tickets. However, I am afraid it has not been possible to protect the entire allocation and as a result, England fans will now receive 951 fewer tickets (tickets allocated in block N1 and block UN1 will not be provided). We have directed The FA to provide a full refund of the ticket price to all fans affected by this error, including any delivery fees associated with each ticket order.

I would like to make it clear that it is not solely England fans who have been affected by this error; it has also been necessary to withdraw a significant number of tickets from Welsh fans. The total number of tickets for English fans still exceeds the agreed quota of 10% of the total tickets available.

On behalf of the Football Association of Wales, I would like to apologise unreservedly for the disappointment that this will cause.

Jonathan Ford

FAW Chief Executive

As soon as this matter was brought to our attention, we have done everything possible to press the FAW to protect our agreed allocation of tickets. However they have confirmed that it is not possible to provide The FA with the tickets previously allocated in blocks N1 and UN1.

We did receive a large ticket allocation for this match, in excess of 10% of the stadium's capacity. This initial allocation has been protected. However the FAW have confirmed to us that their error relates to an additional allocation which was agreed with The FA subsequently (those tickets being in blocks N1 and UN1) and sold through englandfans on 4 February 2011.

Based on the above, I am afraid we must now refund all tickets purchased within these blocks (N1 and UN1), including any delivery fees associated with each ticket order.

We realise the above will not ease your frustrations at missing this match, please may we assure you that every effort has been made by The FA to avoid this issue.

Best wishes

The englandfans team

Bit of a piss take really

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:57 pm

SunderlandFan wrote:Dear Paul,

FAN: xxxxxxxx
Order Reference: xxxxxxxx

We are writing with regard to the upcoming match against Wales in Cardiff on Saturday 26 March.

Unfortunately The Football Association of Wales (FAW) has recently informed us that they will not be able to provide the ticket you have purchased for this match.

We have been asked to forward the below statement from Jonathan Ford, the Chief Executive for the FAW.
Message to englandfans

It is with regret that I must confirm that the Football Association of Wales has had to reduce the allocation of tickets for the Wales v England match on Saturday 26th March. The reason for this reduction is that the total tickets that the Football Association of Wales understood could be made available for sale was incorrect.

After we received notice of this error, we have done everything possible to protect The FA's allocation of tickets. However, I am afraid it has not been possible to protect the entire allocation and as a result, England fans will now receive 951 fewer tickets (tickets allocated in block N1 and block UN1 will not be provided). We have directed The FA to provide a full refund of the ticket price to all fans affected by this error, including any delivery fees associated with each ticket order.

I would like to make it clear that it is not solely England fans who have been affected by this error; it has also been necessary to withdraw a significant number of tickets from Welsh fans. The total number of tickets for English fans still exceeds the agreed quota of 10% of the total tickets available.

On behalf of the Football Association of Wales, I would like to apologise unreservedly for the disappointment that this will cause.

Jonathan Ford

FAW Chief Executive

As soon as this matter was brought to our attention, we have done everything possible to press the FAW to protect our agreed allocation of tickets. However they have confirmed that it is not possible to provide The FA with the tickets previously allocated in blocks N1 and UN1.

We did receive a large ticket allocation for this match, in excess of 10% of the stadium's capacity. This initial allocation has been protected. However the FAW have confirmed to us that their error relates to an additional allocation which was agreed with The FA subsequently (those tickets being in blocks N1 and UN1) and sold through englandfans on 4 February 2011.

Based on the above, I am afraid we must now refund all tickets purchased within these blocks (N1 and UN1), including any delivery fees associated with each ticket order.

We realise the above will not ease your frustrations at missing this match, please may we assure you that every effort has been made by The FA to avoid this issue.

Best wishes

The englandfans team

Bit of a piss take really

THE WHOLE THING IS A FARCE AND A SHAMBLES BY THE WELSH FA.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38278 :evil:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:20 pm

It's a joke mate, they might refund the ticket but whats going to happen to the travel and hotel thats been booked?

I'll still have a good day/night in cardiff but it's not the point :x

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:43 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38118

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL

:( :(

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:48 pm

Also sad that Welsh fans will also miss out on tickets.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,1703 ... 473,00.htm l#

There will be people all too quck to criticize and no dount if you are one of
the unlucky fans affected then its easy to understand why, personally I think
its just a shame this has gone tits up.

The new initiative to reward clubs with a 25% kick back was a remarkable success
and instead of the FAW reaping the rewards of the initiative they now face the
wrath of the English FA and fans from both countries...I find that sad and hope
it does not impact on future ideas to generate ticket sales.

The fans wanted and asked for certain things to be done to improve ticket sales
and the FAW went further by offering the large cash back incentives to
clubs...due to an administration error this has now caused major embarrassment.

We all make mistakes in life and its easy to kick someone when they are down,
but I have no doubt this was not done deliberately and I hope jobs are not lost
because of it, but instead, harsh lessons learnt and a better system put in
place to prevent this ever happening again.

One thing I do know is the next two home games against Montenegro and Switzerland will have no shortage of spare tickets available.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:23 pm

I AGREE CORKY NO ONE SHOULD LOSE THEIR JOBS :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
LESSONS NEED TO BE LEARNT

SAD THING IS I KNOW ALOT OF ENGLISH SUPPORTERS AND PEOPLE WHO NEVER USUALLY GO HAVE GOT TICKETS .

THROUGH BUYING THEM IN BULK FROM SCHOOLS AND CLUBS

I THINK THE FAW GOOD INTENTIONS HAS NOT WORKED

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:28 pm

SunderlandFan wrote:

It's a joke mate, they might refund the ticket but whats going to happen to the travel and hotel thats been booked?

I Feel for you .

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:07 pm

SunderlandFan wrote:

Perhaps someone from this board would be kind enough to give you a spare ticket..... :o
Its really bad now that fans have booked their transport and accomodation.. :( :(

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:08 pm

WTF is going on, this is a joke. We played England in 2005 at the MS, there was a 74,000 sell out and to the best of my knowledge there was none of this problem. Welsh FA are a shambolic lot of idiots!!

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:16 pm

This is2011. If they used an electronic system like everyone else then I'm sure this wouldn't have happened.

Instead they need to count 70,000 pieces of paper by hand :roll:

The 25% kick back scheme was an excellent idea though. Maybe they should have had a trial run vs. Bulgaria first.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Laughing Stock comes to mind :shock:
What a complete shambles :evil:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:34 pm

Yes it makes you wonder how they distribute these tickets, one big problem that I am aware of is the fact that Lucy and her new understudy do not have heavy workloads throughout most of the year, busy but not hectic, then every now and then a huge game pops up and temporary staff etc are employed and the system in place is under threat of causing a cock up.

They could put a state of the art system in place at a cost of around £200.000 but how often would it be required? However saying all that, this really has been a shambles and every sympaphy has to go to all those fans that are going to be messed about because of this error.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:42 pm

I had a letter from Lucy Jones at the FAW Ticket Office today which reads:-

Re: Wales v England 26.3.11

Thank you for your interest in the above mentioned match.

Regrettaby due to high demand fot tickets i am unable to process your application.

All applications received by the initial deadline of 31st January have been processed.The deadline was extended to 18th February to allow members and clubs more time to submit applications although as always these would only be processsed on a first come first served basis, subject to availability.

Tickets sold our early in February so all applications received from 14th February onwards were initially held on standby in the hope that more tickets would have been released.

It has now been confirmed that there are no more tickets available for this match -it is a complete sell out.

Payment has not been taken for the tickets you requested.

Sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

So that's alright then the FAW have f**ked up big time but they are very sorry and despite the fact i am a Silver club member and sent my application in on the 21st January which was well within the initial deadline i will not be getting any tickets :evil: :twisted:

So i think i will reply along the lines of:

Dear FAW, Please do not send me applications for tickets for the Switzerland & Montenegro fixtures as i regret to inform you that i will not be available on the dates that these fixtures are being played and apologise for any inconvenience this might cause.

Yours Sincerely One mightly Pissed Off Welsh Fan :(

Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:16 am

"We all make mistakes in life and its easy to kick someone when they are down,
but I have no doubt this was not done deliberately and I hope jobs are not lost
because of it, but instead, harsh lessons learnt and a better system put in
place to prevent this ever happening again."

What a pile of shit. You have 951 England fans who have had their tickets taken back due to this complete cock-up - a lot who will have already paid for travel and accomodation. Never mind over 500 Welsh fans who have had their tickets taken back. There have been situations where Father and Son originally had tickets and now the Fathers ticket has been taken back. Groups where all people have lost their tickets etc.

The Welsh F.A. should hang their heads in shame and whoever is responsible needs to be sacked immediately and the Welsh F.A. should be responsible for re-imbursing all fans who will lose money on travel and accomodation, as well as paying for them to have a ticket for the return fixture.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:30 am

Feel really sorry for the people whose travel plans and tickets have been messed up by this. What I dont understand is people who live in Wales and though they support Manchester Utd liverpool chelsea etc really feel that they should be there to support the boys against England.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:34 am

blueheaven wrote:I had a letter from Lucy Jones at the FAW Ticket Office today which reads:-

Regrettaby due to high demand fot tickets i am unable to process your application.

All applications received by the initial deadline of 31st January have been processed.The deadline was extended to 18th February to allow members and clubs more time to submit applications although as always these would only be processsed on a first come first served basis, subject to availability.

Tickets sold our early in February so all applications received from 14th February onwards were initially held on standby in the hope that more tickets would have been released.

It has now been confirmed that there are no more tickets available for this match -it is a complete sell out.

So that's alright then the FAW have f**ked up big time but they are very sorry and despite the fact i am a Silver club member and sent my application in on the 21st January which was well within the initial deadline i will not be getting any tickets :evil: :twisted:

Dear FAW, Please do not send me applications for tickets for the Switzerland & Montenegro fixtures as i regret to inform you that i will not be available on the dates that these fixtures are being played and apologise for any inconvenience this might cause.

The problem is Jeff they should NOT have made it 5 tickets per form for Gold members coz they must have realized and done the maths from the database numbers that not ALL Gold and Silver members would get tickets if everybody applied for and orederd 5 ? Me and the mrs had a form each but we only took 5 , 2 for us and 3 for friends of ours ....... we could have had 10 if we wanted to though ! I was there for the last England game and altho I was on the database for that game my tkt form was returned the same as yours was ...... BUT I bought a tkt anyway thru Ticketline when the went on general sale . So it dont make sense to me how they have done what they have for this game ?

Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:20 pm

Surely the FAW have records on us, for past fixtures we've attended on their database? I mean they are saying 69,000 Welsh fans bought tickets for this? Now, there was only 13,000 at CCS for the game with Bulgaria, there was only a thousand of us in Switzerland in October. etc. Not to mention Montenegro too. All fans with a record of these games should be honoured with the tickets they've been charged for. The numbers of ''plastic'' Welsh fans who have never attended a game in their lives and are only going to see their heroes Wayne Rooney and Shooter Cole must be blantantly obvious. They should be the ones to lose their ordered tickets not the true Welsh fans who have followed Wales previously in this campaign and in the past. I hope that is how they handle this. The ticket system they put in place was actually quite good, sadly a stupid administration error has undone all that good work. You live and learn...

Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:31 pm

Sadly I feel loyalty will mean nothing i have missed 2 wales games at home over 10 years.
Signed up for the memebership scheme.
Phoned the FAW last week who insisted that the ticket application was been processed and had been passed onto ticketline.................
yet this week I still recieve a letter like others saying I am unlucky.

Only hope that they receive some return tickets from schools and others and dont forget us :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:32 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:
blueheaven wrote:I had a letter from Lucy Jones at the FAW Ticket Office today which reads:-

The problem is Jeff they should NOT have made it 5 tickets per form for Gold members coz they must have realized and done the maths from the database numbers that not ALL Gold and Silver members would get tickets if everybody applied for and orederd 5 ? Me and the mrs had a form each but we only took 5 , 2 for us and 3 for friends of ours ....... we could have had 10 if we wanted to though ! I was there for the last England game and altho I was on the database for that game my tkt form was returned the same as yours was ...... BUT I bought a tkt anyway thru Ticketline when the went on general sale . So it dont make sense to me how they have done what they have for this game ?

Martyn, To be honest not much that the FAW does makes any sense :(