Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Should we take OUR LAND back from the English?

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:08 pm

Seems we need to take our country back as well according to my invstigation :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

The 400 years following the collapse of Roman rule is the most difficult to interpret in the history of Wales.[35] After the Roman departure from Britain in 410, much of the lowlands of Britain to the east and south-east were overrun by various Germanic tribes.[42] However by 500 AD, the land that would become Wales had divided into number of kingdoms free from Anglo-Saxon rule.[35] The kingdoms of Gwynedd, Powys, Dyfed and Seisyllg, Morgannwg and Gwent emerged as independent Welsh successor states.[35] Archaeological evidence, in the Low Countries and what was to become England, shows early Anglo-Saxon migration to Great Britain reversed between 500 to 550, which concurs with Frankish chronicles.[43] John Davies notes this as consistent with the British victory at Badon Hill, attributed to Arthur by Nennius.[43] This tenacious survival by the Romano-Britons and their descendants in the western kingdoms was to become the foundation of what we now know as Wales. With the loss of the lowlands, England's kingdoms of Mercia and Northumbria, and later Wessex, wrestled with Powys, Gwent and Gwynedd to define the frontier between the two peoples.

Having lost much of what is now the West Midlands to Mercia in the 6th and early 7th centuries, a resurgent late-seventh-century Powys checked Mercian advancement. Aethelbald of Mercia, looking to defend recently acquired lands, had built Wat's Dyke. According to John Davies, this endeavour may have been with Powys king Elisedd ap Gwylog's own agreement, however, for this boundary, extending north from the valley of the River Severn to the Dee estuary, gave Oswestry to Powys.[44] Another theory, after carbon-dating placed the dyke's existence 300 years earlier, is that it may have been built by the post-Roman rulers of Wroxeter.[45] King Offa of Mercia seems to have continued this consultative initiative when he created a larger earthwork, now known as Offa's Dyke (Clawdd Offa). Davies wrote of Cyril Fox's study of Offa's Dyke: "In the planning of it, there was a degree of consultation with the kings of Powys and Gwent. On the Long Mountain near Trelystan, the dyke veers to the east, leaving the fertile slopes in the hands of the Welsh; near Rhiwabon, it was designed to ensure that Cadell ap Brochwel retained possession of the Fortress of Penygadden." And, for Gwent, Offa had the dyke built "on the eastern crest of the gorge, clearly with the intention of recognizing that the River Wye and its traffic belonged to the kingdom of Gwent."[44] However, Fox's interpretations of both the length and purpose of the Dyke have been questioned by more recent research.[46] Offa's Dyke largely remained the frontier between the Welsh and English, though the Welsh would recover by the 12th century the area between the Dee (Afon Dyfrdwy), and the Conwy known then as Y Berfeddwlad. By the eighth century, the eastern borders with the Anglo-Saxons had broadly been set.

In 853 the Vikings raided Anglesey, but in 856 Rhodri Mawr defeated and killed their leader, Gorm.[47] The Britons of Wales later made their peace with the Vikings and Anarawd ap Rhodri allied with the Norsemen occupying Northumbria to conquer the north.[48] This alliance later broke down and Anarawd came to an agreement with Alfred, king of Wessex, with whom he fought against the west Welsh. According to Annales Cambriae, in 894, "Anarawd came with the Angles and laid waste Ceredigion and Ystrad Tywi."[49]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Should we take OUR LAND back from the English?

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:11 pm

Cheers mucca, i needed a kip before work tonight!

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:12 pm

dim problem :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:53 pm

Why do you want to have Liverpool back? The English took that from us! The West Country was also Welsh as it was called West Wales.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:35 pm

yeah, lets take it,,im busy on the weekends, working during the week, so it would have to be after 6 oclock midweek,,,,,, :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :naka: :naka: :naka: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:37 pm

I'll gather the militia!

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:39 pm

Bristol is in Wales Bristol is in Wales ala la la ala la la :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:41 pm

These guys are on board :ayatollah:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=19234188240

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:57 pm

Owain Glyndwr did a good attempt but then withdrew at Worcester !! :ayatollah: Remember all English are technically Welsh as we all spoke an early form of Welsh before the 'Britons' battened down the hatches and pulled into modern day Wales leaving the others to become 'anglicesd' :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:06 pm

I don't want any of it back to be honest. The english are incredibly proud of being english, however their race is nothing more than a pot mess.....a mixing pot of races that don't particularly like the land they live in etc.....a melting pot where no one likes anyone else.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:12 pm

Yes i'm up for it........lets march on the tw@ts and drive them into the sea!! :lol:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:18 pm

fair shout...........let me finish my bow and I am with you :twisted:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:18 pm

I think on away games now we should chant to everyone in the WELSH part of the map which is now English
" YOUR WELSH AND YOU KNOW YOU ARE " :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:20 pm

this is why us Welsh have big mountains see. We have nicked so much land off of the English, we've had to stack it, see butt! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :D :D :D

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:23 pm

can we pick and choose as opposed to taking it all back......................can't stand them brizzle folk

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:26 pm

Can you imagine a load of welsh inhabitants back in the day all tooled ( spears , stones , etc ) up going over to the English border to met with this sight must have been shitting themselves :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:31 pm

never under estimate the power of bells, hanky's and a little hop to finish off with!

SWEET LORD

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:40 pm

Basically we should own everything west of the A49 and then the A41 north of Whitchurch which is all rightfully ours.

Then we should fill in a portion of Cardigan bay which, according to history, was the most fertile and best land in Wales until the english flooded it.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:10 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:Yes i'm up for it........lets march on the tw@ts and drive them into the sea!! :lol:

were are the swansea boys when you want them :roll:

Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Anybody want the West Midlands they can keep that shithole lol . Would want hereford back that is OURS !!!! :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:36 pm

We will take them on at the Millenium Stadium on 26th March until you had your ticket taken from you by the FAW. :D :D

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:17 pm

if you want to create a civil war then be my guests :lol:

Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:15 pm

Acoording to the map Leeds is Welsh as well hmmmm :shock: :shock: