Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

impress the missus and kids (ASTRONOMY THREAD)

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:46 am

im a member of the cardiff astronomical society. if any one wants to come and look through our telescopes and see......
jupiter and its moons
saturn and its glorious rings
the andromeda galaxy
the great orion nebula
etc etc etc.
of course it is weather dependent, when a weekend is chosen we attempt to observe on the friday night, if weather is shite we attempt sat night. (if on sat stay f*cking sober lmao)
next observing session is planned for FRI 11MAR , OR SAT 12 MAR AT our observatory in dyffryn gardens
kids will love it and so will you (IF YOU DRESS WARM) REMEMBER CLEAR SKIES MEANS ITS EFFING FREEZING

as a taster, to show the kids and missus tonight, the international space station passes high in sky tonight.
you need to point your body south. (so you are facing the right way) then look to your right.
it will rise at 19.11 on the right or west if you prefer and will fly overhead and set at 19.17 in the east or on your left.
the space shuttle discovery is currently docked.
some facts for you to impress kids and missus tonight.
station travels at 18,500 MPH and takes 1 and 1/2 hour to orbit the earth.
astronauts will see 17 sunrises a day
any one want to come or want more info just reply on this thread.
by the way all sessions are totally free of charge

Re: impress the missus and kids (ASTRONOMY THREAD)

Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:15 pm

Cheers for that

Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:20 pm

Contact Dai Hard on Mikes site, he's been studying the universe for years. ;)

Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:27 pm

Hey Nugent

I am interested in bringing my 6 year old along on Fri 11/3.....what sort of times are we looking at. Dyffryn Gardens only about 10 mins away from me.

We have seen a few shows at the planatarium @ techniquest and he does seem to enjoy the stars systems etc.

Let me know.....cheers

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:48 pm

Nice and all that, used to like it when I was really young, but these days does anyone want to look at Uranus?

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:52 pm

Love everything about astronomy!

Also love discussing the metaphysical questions relating to the Universe!

Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:27 pm

I hear that 'cheese and wine events' are on the agenda at the Cardiff university Observatory, any news ?

Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:32 pm

Cool how many telescopes do you have? I wouldn't mind a butchers.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:58 pm

Im a star gazer and love astronomy (not that im that clued up on it tho) its a shame im away on hols in egypt for this, hopefully i can come along for the next one. I was fortunate to visist the observatory in Flagstaff Arizona in october it was very interesting.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:09 pm

Nickerino wrote:Hey Nugent

I am interested in bringing my 6 year old along on Fri 11/3.....what sort of times are we looking at. Dyffryn Gardens only about 10 mins away from me.

We have seen a few shows at the planatarium @ techniquest and he does seem to enjoy the stars systems etc.

Let me know.....cheers

roughly starts atabout 8 pm.
saturn will rise that night at about 19.45 . look forward to meeting you. DRESS WARM 2 pairs of socks. feet are always the first to go lol.
finishes roughly midnight.
check on this thread on the night to see if its on (if its cloudy we`ll cancel a hour before see)

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:11 pm

TinTin wrote:I hear that 'cheese and wine events' are on the agenda at the Cardiff university Observatory, any news ?

lol, wouldnt know

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:14 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Cool how many telescopes do you have? I wouldn't mind a butchers.

we got lots of telescopes tony blue. the observatory has a little monster in there. we`ll have telescopes set up outside the observatory . plenty to look at

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:21 pm

bluecyw wrote:Im a star gazer and love astronomy (not that im that clued up on it tho) its a shame im away on hols in egypt for this, hopefully i can come along for the next one. I was fortunate to visist the observatory in Flagstaff Arizona in october it was very interesting.

heres a good place to start, if your keen. DO NOT BUY A TELESCOPE WITHOUT CONSULTING ME
theres too many companies out there that put pretty pictures on the box but even looking at the moon will look like next doors satellite dish if its shit.
its a good hobby, plus theres much to learn, boys up my local always ask me shit
have a nicetime in egypt, cracking night views of the skies

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:26 pm

ill see if my son and missis want to go ,if they do where do you go when you get there ,

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:29 pm

cruzer wrote:ill see if my son and missis want to go ,if they do where do you go when you get there ,

there will be members shining torches as you drive in directing you tothe car parks :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:36 pm

some rules to follow guys if you come
dont smoke around telescopes.
if you bring a torch, dont shine it around others as white light takes your "night adapted vision away" which takes 30mins to build back up. torches that shine red are what we use. either get a red one, or a rear light from a bicycle or do what i do, and paint missus nail varnish on a cheapy white light.
or dont bring one at all, and stand in shit like i did on my very first night lol

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:41 pm

Bigbluebird wrote:Love everything about astronomy!

Also love discussing the metaphysical questions relating to the Universe!

bit too stephen hawking for me.
i`ll just stick to conservable angular momentum and orbital resonance :D

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:55 pm

I'm interested can you let me know when you are doing a Saturday night.

I live in Wigan and only come down when we have a weekend home game but would like to take advantage of some astronomy if I could.

I do Photography Semi Pro. I use a Canon 40D with a 300mm f2.8 lens

Is there any type of adaptor that you have that could allow me to take pictures as space photography really interests me.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:13 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:I'm interested can you let me know when you are doing a Saturday night.

I live in Wigan and only come down when we have a weekend home game but would like to take advantage of some astronomy if I could.

I do Photography Semi Pro. I use a Canon 40D with a 300mm f2.8 lens

Is there any type of adaptor that you have that could allow me to take pictures as space photography really interests me.

i dont do astrophotography. however there are a few members that do it fella. we dont have "spare" adaptors as such, and they will be busy doing their own thing with their cameras so i cant speak for them. but they will show you cool shit and giveyou advice.
one of the boys has had his photos on the sky at night

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:02 am

for those that tried looking for the space station last night it, was a tad cloudy.
crystal clear skies for tonight so it rises at 19.37 in the west and sets 19.40 in sse. (if you look at orion you wont miss it)
orion looks like this if you dont know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_(constellation)

Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:23 pm

Weather permitting, I will see you there on Friday 11/3.

Looking forward to it....as is my 6 year old...

many thanks

Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:01 pm

tonights session is cancelled for those that were interested.
join our facebook page for regular updates
cardiff astronomical society

Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:27 pm

Is it possible to see Dave Jones personality with your telescope Chief ?

Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:58 pm

nugent wrote:tonights session is cancelled for those that were interested.
join our facebook page for regular updates
cardiff astronomical society

cheers Nugent I just joined your group and look forward to coming to one of the events
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:02 pm

Just joined the FB group...my three girls would love to come along to one of the events! :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:08 pm

Dange wrote:Just joined the FB group...my three girls would love to come along to one of the events! :ayatollah:

cheers Nugent I just joined your group and look forward to coming to one of the events
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:[/quote

np boys. saturns well placed in the solar system now and is always a good sight.