Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Computer Help

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:06 pm

Right my mum needs a new computer, just the box, the old one has finally died (has been shit for years) and now she needs a new one.

All she needs is the box thingy as she has a good screen, keyboard, printer etc etc

If anyone can post up any good deals then brill, otherwise can you tell me what I should be looking for in a decent computer, all the GB and spec stuff means nothing to me unless I know what im looking for. Wants to spend around £200/£300, she only wants it for the net and storing a few photos and songs nothing major.

Any help/advise appreciated :)

Cheers

Re: Computer Help

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:15 pm

Dell.com get her a nice laptop for bout 250 on there

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:19 pm

She dont want a laptop, just the box thingy

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:25 pm

This one Dell suggested http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstor ... oc=D005704

Mean anything to anyone??

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:30 pm

2 BLUE DO YOU LIVE ANYWHERE NEAR TREFOREST.THERE ARE SOME CHINSE GUYS AT THE BOTTOM OF POWER STATION HILL.THEY ARE AS GOOD AS GOLD AND VERY REASONABLE :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:31 pm

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topic ... l=en&s=dhs

this now seems the best one

Compter land - city rd will build you a tower to your spec on what you want it for, my advice would be to ask them for a minimum of 160gb hard drive and a dual core processor, also ask for a minimum of 2gb ram. Windows 7 seems to be a good stable operating system now too (better than vista anyway). That should give you a basis to work off and fall within your budget :)

Thats a very good on Highly Recommend you to buy it :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:36 pm

Not near Treforest but could get to City road, thing is they can ask me anything and wouldnt have a clue :lol:

Thanks for all the advise tho :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:39 pm

If they ask you something just Knod your head :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:59 pm

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/pc/range/gamma.html

The shop is next to Halfords on the corner of Sloper Road/Penarth Road

You will need to add the operating system: "Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed" comes to £329.99.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:02 pm

I know the one Dave.

Is that better than the Dell one? ive never heard of Gamma (then again thats not saying alot lol)

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:31 pm

Just looked at the Dell quote - there is not much between the two systems - the Dell just edges it but both will be lightening quick compared to a years old machine.

Any computer you buy will be a collection of parts made by the same manufacturers in the far east - the badge on the front is pretty meaningless. Gamma is the model name for a Novatech built PC. Inspiron 560 is the model name of the Dell built PC.

Have bought from Dell and Novatech in the past and both were good service.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Cheers for the advise Dave :ayatollah: much appreciated :ayatollah:

Looks like ill get her the dell just because she will know the name :lol:

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:39 pm

The last one you posted £299 is a good spec but one suitable for your mum from other companys would be around the £199 mark

Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:10 am

if you want a good tower then you cant go wrong with a hp
i have recently bought one and i also have a hp laptop
my advice is minimum 320g hard drive and 3- 4 g memory
you should get one at pc world for about 350 pound

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:11 am

2blue2handle wrote:http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/minicat/new/upsell/inspiron-560-d005607-deals?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

this now seems the best one

Luke, that's the one mate. You can't go wrong with that one, plus the support you get from Dell is excellent.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Cheers guys, looks like its going to be the dell one :) :ayatollah: